• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Neighbor boys peep at my scantily clad daughters. Should I have them cover up?"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
this is true, women are beautiful no matter what they are wearing. But the type of clothing they wear says something about how they view themselves and either way, their clothing is going to draw attention to themselves.

I guess it depends on who's attention, or the sort of attention, you want to attract. A man is more likely to respect you if you have respect for yourself first.
And you think that a woman's respect for herself has some sort of inverse relationship to the amount of clothing she's wearing? I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
And you think that a woman's respect for herself has some sort of inverse relationship to the amount of clothing she's wearing? I haven't found that to be the case at all.

I think it is linked in some way. Respectable women dont need to let their body do the talking...they are usually more intelligent then that.

:yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think it is linked in some way. Respectable women dont need to let their body do the talking...they are usually more intelligent then that.

The amount of clothing a woman is wearing doesn't really have any bearing on whether the woman is using that clothing to communicate a message. You can communicate a message - or not - wearing anything from a burqa to nothing at all.

Edit: and if you're using your own clothing as a way to look down on other women, I wouldn't call that respectable.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
The way I dress personally is what most would call "modest", mostly in hope that I won't call attention to myself... it usually fails. I am female and will attract attention no matter what I wear.. but I've come to realize that it's not my fault, I'm just living my life as I see fit.

Alceste

Vagabond

I have an IQ over 150 (according to the internet) and I dress like a whore when it's hot out. So there goes that theory. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
At the same time, i think the father of the girls has an opportunity to teach his girls a lesson too. They need to take responsibility for the way they dress because they just dont know who is watchign them. Im sure if it was a dirty old man coming to have a perv, their father would be rushing them into the house and making them cover up quick smart.
So what? The boys are not a dirty old man.

So I think they all have a responsibility to do the right thing.
But isn't this true of just about everything we do?

I wouldnt let my girls wear that sort of clothing because I dont want them being looked at that way by anyone.
And that's fine, but evidently mom and dad aren't that concerned with what others think of their girls.

And I teach my teenage son to respect females and when something comes on television which is sexual, i use it as an opportunity to teach him something about boy/girl relationships.
Good for you.

But I put some responsibility on his shoulders because It is not just the girls who are the problem. They are not temptresses as some like to say. Men are far more overtly sexual then females...the temptation comes from within so those who are feeling tempted need to get control of themselves to some degree.
Yup.

So basically i think both parents need to take action. Yes the girls should definitely cover up a bit,
Because people should structure their lives to please others? To accommodate others? To placate others? Because two parents don't like their boys indulging themselves in their sexual curiosity, quite normal behavior by the way, two other unrelated people, the girls, are expected to change their behavior. I don't buy it.

and the boys should be educated about sexuality and their feelings toward it.
And perhaps they already have been.

It's not about need, and it isn't about a lack of intellect. It's about desire. And personally, if it means that I would have to sublimate my desires in order to remain respectful in anyone's eyes, then I will likely pass on any offer of respectability, and simply go on with my life. However, I am curious as to what, exactly, comprises a "respectable woman." Care to clue us in?

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

So I take it that "respectable" women do not wear make up either, right?
Or earrings?
Or do anything with their hair other than wash it?
How about jewelry like rings, brooches, necklaces?

Alceste

Vagabond
The following is from the "Advice on Manners and Morals" column by By Emily Yoffe.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think the dad should do and why.

Prudence's answer is in the link, but try answering before looking at it.

Thanks.
Dear Prudence,
I am a married man with two wonderful teenage daughters living in a tranquil suburban neighborhood. A few months ago a nice couple, "Mike" and "Mary," moved in next door along with their eight children. The family is devoutly Christian. The children are home-schooled, well-behaved, and reserved; and the girls dress modestly. Our families have dined together and get along well. As part of their chores, my daughters do most of the yard work. It's hot here much of the year, and they typically wear short shorts and tank tops or bikini tops. The other day Mike said he wanted us to have a "serious" discussion and told me he caught his boys watching my girls from a bedroom window. He asked if I could please have my girls not wear such revealing clothing if they're going to be outside, as he is trying to protect his kids from "certain elements of the world" and doesn't want them influenced by "overly sexualized displays." When I told my wife and daughters, they were offended. Is it unreasonable to ask my daughters to cover up a bit? I've had problems with difficult neighbors in the past and feel sometimes it is necessary to make small sacrifices in order to keep the peace. My wife thinks I should kindly tell Mike to shove it. What should I do?

—Neighborly Dad
source

Dear Neighbourly Dad,

Tell your daughters the neighbour's boys are hot for them and like to watch them doing housework in their bikini tops.

Either they are also hot for the neighbour's boys, in which case nature will take its course, or they think the neighbour's boys are gross, in which case they will probably decide to cover up on their own.

Prudence.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

One could argue that respectable women see no shame in their bodies, and see no reason to keep something natural a secret, are willing to wear that which is comfortable and free, and that the unreasonable thing to do is to feel the need to wear concealing or restrictive clothing on a hot day.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
shove it...or just be...
tell the neighbor that his boys are offending the girls by acting like peeping toms...
how is he going to teach them a lesson by having them avoid life experiences?
what they do on their property is their business.

ok now i'll read what prudence said...

just read it...
damn i'm good :D

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One could argue that respectable women see no shame in their bodies, and see no reason to keep something natural a secret, are willing to wear that which is comfortable and free, and that the unintelligent thing to do is to wear concealing or restrictive clothing on a hot day.

Yes, one could argue that, but then, that would be intelligent.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
However, I am curious as to what, exactly, comprises a "respectable woman." Care to clue us in?

in this context, its one who sees herself as more then something to be desired by men. And because she feels that way about herself, she doesnt dress in a way to catch a mans eye because she has better and more important things on her mind. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
in this context, its one who sees herself as more then something to be desired by men. And because she feels that way about herself, she doesnt dress in a way to catch a mans eye because she has better and more important things on her mind. :D

So a woman can't both see herself as something to be desired by men and also have other interests in life too? Interesting. I never thought of women as so lame they couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time, but if you insist...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmmm....I've known plenty of respectable women who dress to catch a man's eye.
Of course, that isn't all they're about.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So a woman can't both see herself as something to be desired by men and also have other interests in life too? Interesting. I never thought of women as so lame they couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time, but if you insist...

its obviously never crossed your mind that not all women consider their lives to revolve around attracting men. Hmmm interesting. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
its obviously never crossed your mind that not all women consider their lives to revolve around attracting men. Hmmm interesting. :D

You're putting words in my mouth that have never been there. Nice try, though.