• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Neighbor boys peep at my scantily clad daughters. Should I have them cover up?"

Skwim

Veteran Member
The following is from the "Advice on Manners and Morals" column by By Emily Yoffe.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think the dad should do and why.

Prudence's answer is in the link, but try answering before looking at it.

Thanks.
Dear Prudence,
I am a married man with two wonderful teenage daughters living in a tranquil suburban neighborhood. A few months ago a nice couple, "Mike" and "Mary," moved in next door along with their eight children. The family is devoutly Christian. The children are home-schooled, well-behaved, and reserved; and the girls dress modestly. Our families have dined together and get along well. As part of their chores, my daughters do most of the yard work. It's hot here much of the year, and they typically wear short shorts and tank tops or bikini tops. The other day Mike said he wanted us to have a "serious" discussion and told me he caught his boys watching my girls from a bedroom window. He asked if I could please have my girls not wear such revealing clothing if they're going to be outside, as he is trying to protect his kids from "certain elements of the world" and doesn't want them influenced by "overly sexualized displays." When I told my wife and daughters, they were offended. Is it unreasonable to ask my daughters to cover up a bit? I've had problems with difficult neighbors in the past and feel sometimes it is necessary to make small sacrifices in order to keep the peace. My wife thinks I should kindly tell Mike to shove it. What should I do?

—Neighborly Dad
source

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If his boys are leering at the girls from their bedroom window, then Mike has already failed at his stated goal. Maybe he should worry more about his sons' inappropriate behavior.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thanks.

Wifey           4

Uptight, controlling prig   0

A

angellous_evangellous

If his boys are leering at the girls from their bedroom window, then Mike has already failed at his stated goal. Maybe he should worry more about his sons' inappropriate behavior.

Yep. :yes:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Have them dress down even more for the ensuing lawls.
Lol. Great idea!
icon14.gif

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'm with wifey.

So am I - but I watched a half hour debate on just this subject last Sunday, and I can understand (if not agree) with the man.

In an ideal world, we should be able to go about dressed however we wish to be - but human nature being human nature, there are those for whom a scantilly clad woman is - to them - sending out a signal. Of course, those people are wrong (in the main) - but you try explaining that to them!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So am I - but I watched a half hour debate on just this subject last Sunday, and I can understand (if not agree) with the man.
Which one? The husband, or "Mike?"

In an ideal world, we should be able to go about dressed however we wish to be - but human nature being human nature, there are those for whom a scantilly clad woman is - to them - sending out a signal. Of course, those people are wrong (in the main) - but you try explaining that to them!
Don't care. :)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with the wife and with Prudence.

If the neighbor finds this to be an overly sexual display, that's his problem.
A) Attraction to other people is natural, not something to be at all times shamed.
B) A revealed body should not always be associated with sexuality. If it is, that's something the viewer needs to work out for him or her self. Keeping the body hidden at all times except for shared sexuality is probably a part of why it's viewed like that in the first place.

Reminds me of the story about the monks.

A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her.
The senior monk carried this woman on his shoulder, forded the river and let her down on the other bank. The junior monk was very upset, but said nothing.
They both were walking and senior monk noticed that his junior was suddenly silent and enquired “Is something the matter, you seem very upset?”
The junior monk replied, “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”
The senior monk replied, “I left the woman a long time ago at the bank, however, you seem to be carrying her still.”
I don't know the original writing, but here's my source for this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mike's wife and daughters should not have to bare the burden of their morally lazy neighbor's refusal to take responsibility for his and his son's sexual feelings. Why coddle the neighbor and his kids? If you do, they might never learn to deal appropriately with their sexual feelings. Mike should do his neighbor a favor by telling him the truth: Both he and his sons need to do some growing up.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Maybe "Mike" should just build a 25 foot fence. Better yet, he should just move his family into the middle of North Dakota. There's nothing there. That would fix everything.

I'm with wifey.

Ditto

The mans family isn't doing anything wrong and his neighbour (Who chose to live there) has no right to make such demands of him. If he wanted to live around people who share his conservative Christian beliefs then he should have been more careful in choosing where he lived.

I feel sorry for those lads. Appreciating pretty women is one of lifes simple pleasures.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"If your eye offends thee, pluck it out". The lads should take the hint and castrate themselves. If they can do it as Hemingway suggests such things be done -- that is, while displaying grace under pressure -- it will be beautiful.

Last edited: