• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myers Briggs Type Inventory

What is your Myers Briggs Personality Type?

• Total voters

Ðanisty

lilithu said:
Nah, that's exactly what "Judging" refers to. Perhaps an unfortunate choice for naming that category. It's not about moral judgement; it's about wanting things to be defined/constrained. For a J, there's nothing worse than having everything nebulous and constantly changing.
It is an unfortunate choice for naming the category. I always get odd looks about it anyway. People tend to assume the negative. I just like to always know what is going on. One thing I can't stand more than almost anything at work is when the boss won't just give me everything I need to do at the beginning of the day and let me do it. Actually it would be even better if they gave me everything for the week. That way I can plan when and how I'm going to handle all the tasks. It's so annoying when they give me one thing at a time and when I finish it, I have to go ask them for more work. I know it's not usually the case, but I tend to perceive this as my boss assuming I'm an idiot that can't handle my workload. I know in actuality, it's probably a case of my boss being a P. Before I knew about all these types, I used to just get mad about it...lol.

Oh, and I've had the Myers-Briggs administered professionally too.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ðanisty said:
I just like to always know what is going on. One thing I can't stand more than almost anything at work is when the boss won't just give me everything I need to do at the beginning of the day and let me do it. Actually it would be even better if they gave me everything for the week. That way I can plan when and how I'm going to handle all the tasks. It's so annoying when they give me one thing at a time and when I finish it, I have to go ask them for more work. I know it's not usually the case, but I tend to perceive this as my boss assuming I'm an idiot that can't handle my workload. I know in actuality, it's probably a case of my boss being a P. Before I knew about all these types, I used to just get mad about it...lol.
Yep, I would guess that your boss is a P too. I know that if I were in her/his shoes, I would be like, "What, you expect me to commit to everything we're gonna do for the whole week? What if something cool comes up?" I can't stand the idea of losing out on possibilities because I've made a commitment to a particular thing. So I would pick one thing at a time for you, as a way to procrastinate regarding those commitments. Methinks Ps are big procrastinators for that very reason. We don't commit unless we have to, i.e. - deadline driven.

Ðanisty said:
Oh, and I've had the Myers-Briggs administered professionally too.
Sounds like it. :) And it sounds like it's been helpful too.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
This is a fascinating thread! I know the topic has been raised before, but this is the first real discussion I've seen about it!

At the community college I attend, some of the administration are putting forth the idea of giving the M-B-T inventory to all incoming students (along with an explanation of the results. So far, they're only doing it for a "How to succeed in college" type of class, but those I've spoken with at school (who've taken the test) think so highly of it that they think it should be mandatory upon entering.

Ðanisty

One thing has really shocked me since I took that test...I always thought my opposite (ESFP) would annoy the crap out of me. As it turns out, one of my closest friends took the test and it turns out she's an ESFP. Apparently, we compliment each other really well.

At the community college I attend, some of the administration are putting forth the idea of giving the M-B-T inventory to all incoming students (along with an explanation of the results. So far, they're only doing it for a "How to succeed in college" type of class, but those I've spoken with at school (who've taken the test) think so highly of it that they think it should be mandatory upon entering.
I think it's a great idea, but it should be taken farther. I think all the instructors should have to take the test too. It would help with communication between students and staff. Nobody has to know anyone else's type...just knowing about your own type and being aware of the other types out there is immensely helpful.

Booko

Deviled Hen
lilithu said:
For a J, there's nothing worse than having everything nebulous and constantly changing.

I resemble that remark. :D

I've had to get used to other modes of working though, as my brother is quite the opposite. He wouldn't know what a plan is if he ate one for lunch.

But y'know, there's something to be said for learning a bit of spontaneity...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ðanisty said:
Nobody has to know anyone else's type...just knowing about your own type and being aware of the other types out there is immensely helpful.
Hmm.... I was debating whether or not to make the poll private. I was afraid that a public poll might discourage some people from responding who otherwise would. But I also thought that it would be useful to know each other's types. I don't think I/E or even P/J would be all that relevant to our online interactions here. But certainly I've noticed that some RFers are strongly T in their responses while others are more F. <shrug>

Ðanisty

lilithu said:
Hmm.... I was debating whether or not to make the poll private. I was afraid that a public poll might discourage some people from responding who otherwise would. But I also thought that it would be useful to know each other's types. I don't think I/E or even P/J would be all that relevant to our online interactions here. But certainly I've noticed that some RFers are strongly T in their responses while others are more F. <shrug>
Well, this was on a voluntary basis and I do think it makes things more useful. I was more or less talking about the college issue where I'm not sure it would be a good policy to make the results public if they also make the test mandatory.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
While I was walking home it occured to me that I was wrong about the I/E dimension not being relevant here. Doh! I was thinking that since we're all typing and thus have the time to think about what we're gonna say first, that Is would not be at a social disadvantage like they often are. I still think that's the case. But I forgot to take into account that Es like to "think by talking." (Is think to talk; Es talk to think.) Es like to bounce ideas off of other people as part of their thinking process while Is like to mull things over before they even present it to others. So it could be the case that the Es here tend more to "think out loud" while the Is assume that the Es have thought through their positions (because that's what we would do) when in fact they haven't, and don't mean to be presenting their thoughts as a "final" position.

Anyway... the conversations in this thread have been as rich as I could have hoped for. Thank you all for your contributions. :group:

Ðanisty

You're probably right on that. I assume everyone has gone through their ideas before they click on the post button...afterall, you can't undo it. It's hard to imagine anyone wanting to post something if they weren't already certain.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
INTJ
distinctively expressed introvert
moderately expressed intuitive personality
distinctively expressed thinking personality
very expressed judging personality

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
lilithu said:
Completely different Bastet? Or is it one (or possibly two) dimension that changes? You could be on the cusp for a couple of them. Is there anything that's constant?
The only constant is the "I".

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is
[SIZE=+2]ENTP[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1]ExtrovertedIntuitiveThinkingPerceiving[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]44 62 25 22[/SIZE]
After reading the link( http://typelogic.com/entp.html), my girlfriend and I both agree that this is EXACTLY who I am, its actually kind of scary how accurately it describes me.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
eudaimonia said:
I'm sure of that too. However, I wonder if strong trends exist.

For example, I know that the Libertarian Party has a huge and consistent leaning towards NTs. Not everyone in the LP is an NT, but the proportion of NTs to other types is vastly disproportionate to the percentage of NTs in society as a whole.

That's funny you point this out, I'm a Libertarian and an ENTP.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
eudaimonia said:
For example, I know that the Libertarian Party has a huge and consistent leaning towards NTs. Not everyone in the LP is an NT, but the proportion of NTs to other types is vastly disproportionate to the percentage of NTs in society as a whole.
spacemonkey said:
That's funny you point this out, I'm a Libertarian and an ENTP.
Interesting. I understand the T part. Why N tho? Why wouldn't ST's be just as likely to be Libertarians? (I am not, btw.)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
31 respondants. 4 Ss. 27 Ns. I had an inkling we would be skewed towards N, but sheesh, I had no idea this skewed. (Unless for some reason Ns are more likely to respond to polls about Myers Brigg.) :help: I bet pah is an S.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
spacemonkey said:
No. It was a very long (in dire need of editing) description of different ways to classify people and the only reference to libertarian (versus liberal, conservative, authoritarian) is the assertion that libertarians act on principle, as if the rest of us do not. Probably written by a libertarian. :rolleyes:

Even so, the acting on principle part comes from being T as opposed to F. I have already said that I can see why there would be more Ts amongst libertarians. Nowhere in the page (which I admit I scanned because it was so long and repetitive) did I see any explanation for why it would be specifically NTs and not STs.

Addendum:

"while Liberals expect to indulge themselves at the expense of others ("welfare rights")"

Oh yeah, a very impartial piece of scholarship there. :rolleyes:

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I'm sorry, but that was the closest thing I could find.:sorry1:

You are right about the author being libertarian though, but he also has a Ph.D in philosophy from the University of Texas. http://www.friesian.com/ross/.

I personally don't really know enough about the differances of the personality types to venture a hypothesis as to why there are so many NT's in the Libertarian Party. If you notice on the page I linked though, {INTPArchitect ENTPInventor INTJScientist ENTJFieldmarshal INFPQuestor ENFPJournalist INFJAuthor ENFJPedagogue ISTJTrustee ESTJAdministrator ISFJConservator ESFJSeller ISFPArtist ESFPEntertainer ISTPArtisan ESTPPromotor} they seem to link S's with the J/P attribute and N's with the T/F attribute perhaps this has something to do with it.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I have taken this test online before , with the same results . The first and last letter remain constand , and I tend to score high in them . The middle two , I score very low in , and they tend to change .

lilithu said:
Hmm....

So let's say you're looking at an apple. How would you describe it to someone else?

Ok , I would perfer to give the person an apple because I tend not to be very good at this . For excample , I describe bear's meat as being like pork , but sweeter . Most people who have eat bear just kinda give me a funny look and say that it nothing like pork .... But if not , then what is it like ? I try to find someone another can relate to , and go from there .

lilithu said:
If you were the boss of a small company and realized that you have to fire two employees or else the whole company would go under how would you decide who to fire?

Now this one is easy . Having been in a labour union for 30 years , and being active in the labour movement off and on throughout these years , I would go by seniority . :) But if the seniority was the same , then there would be too many variables for me to say without more info .

I have only ever taken one professional personality test that I have taken seriously . Without getting into too many details , it was back in the 80s , and I don't recall what it was all about . But I do recall that there was one question that kept coming up , and it appeared to have nothing to do with the other questions at first . { It was something about the book " Through the Looking Glass " , Alice in Wonderland } . Now it didn't take long for me to realize that everytime this question came up , there were several before it that kinda lead you towards an emotional state . So I assumed that was the prepose of the question , to act as a neutral question to gage your repronse to the other questions . I figured ok , if that was what they wanted .... and answered without thinking about it at all . Allowed my emotions to answer for me . Now , the interesting thing about that test was that the results came back in graphform . And I couldn't believe that all of my pretty little lines were right on the center line of the graph . Not a little above , or below , but right on it . All except one . :) The line for " flexible thinking " was right off the graph . About a 1/4 inch above the graph actually .

I have always wondered how it would have turned out if I had used logic instead of allowing my emotions to answer that one question when it came up ? They told me that it wouldn't have made any difference . That the test was designed to take that into account and all ... But I still wonder . And wonder just how accurate these test are ?

BTW I didn't " fail " the test . They actually liked my scores .