• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myers Briggs Type Inventory

What is your Myers Briggs Personality Type?

• Total voters

standing_alone

No, I'm being serious. I've often wondered if there was any type of correlation.

Yeah, and maybe we'd all get a better understanding of where each other's coming from.

Like as an INFP, I tend to take criticism personally. I hate that about me. But if I know person x has personality type y, I might understand how person x thinks better. Maybe it'd help us understand the personality conflicts on the forum better. Know what I mean?

Aqualung

Tasty
I just read it. For the most part, it's right on the money. But somehow I don't see myself as as being "unlikely to express my feelings." Anybody noticed that about me? :biglaugh: Frubals to anyone who tell me how cautious I am about expressing my opinions.

You're cautious about expressing your opinions.

UnTheist

I just read it. For the most part, it's right on the money. But somehow I don't see myself as as being "unlikely to express my feelings." Anybody noticed that about me? :biglaugh: Frubals to anyone who tell me how cautious I am about expressing my opinions.
You're too cautious...

:)

Aqualung

Tasty
Maybe I'll explain my INTJ results from this site if you want to follow along...

People do tend to think I'm arrogant at first. But, it's generally true that I'm good at a lot of things. I do have a perfectionist (my mom says obsessive compulsive) side. The question "DOes it work" gets turned more towards society than toward mechanical things. I have freed myself from authority and convention qua authority and convention pretty well. People who slack lose my respect, but I guess I'm more like an INFJ in that I tend to care more about morality than anything else. I would study law if I had that type of money. Personal relationships are definitely my achilles heel. I don't even think I'm capable of caring for a select few. I don't readily grasp social rituals (I suck at small talk, as I'm sure Katzpur will soon discover which will no doubt create an extreme amount of awkwardness for all parties), and I am a private person. (My mom asked me the other day if I had any romantic interest in anybody. A simple yes/no question like that was too hard to answer.) And I hate it when people don't make sense, which they rarely do. I don't know if I'm willing to work at relationships, either...

So yeah, that's my analysis of their description.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Yeah, it was me. :D

I think it's interesting how the different personality types tend to approach spirituality and such (at least the little I've seen on the topic). I think I kind of go against what is expected of an INFP, since I'm an atheist. I just think that it's interesting to think about. I wonder though, depending on the personality type, how one comes to a certain path depends on their personality type just as much so as what that path is (does this make any sense? I can't find the way to phrase what I mean)?
Here ya go sweetness. :)

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=807167

I don't know how much this will interest you since the workshop is done from the perspective of a religious type. It was held in my church. Otoh, not all UUs are theistic and I do think it could be translated to non-theistic terms. But we would still be talking about spirituality - that thru which we make meaning of life.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I can't remember what all the letters mean. I'm not too different from you, so maybe you could help me out. I'm an ISFJ.

Also, it's been SOOOO long since I took the test, that I can't even remember what the explanations actually mean. Help me out... For instance, what does it mean to be a slightly expressed introvert?

Somebody tell me about myself based on my ISFJ designation. And don't just say "slightly expressed introvert." That doesn't help me a whole lot.
Actually, this might help:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50599

I go into more detail about what each means in that thread. :)

Oh, and slightly expressed means just that, slightly expressed. :p It means you don't act like it very strongly.

standing_alone

Here ya go sweetness. :)

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=807167

I don't know how much this will interest you since the workshop is done from the perspective of a religious type. It was held in my church. Otoh, not all UUs are theistic and I do think it could be translated to non-theistic terms. But we would still be talking about spirituality - that thru which we make meaning of life.

Sweet, once I have more time, I'll really read it. Getting kind of late for a school night, though. :( Thanks for starting that, though. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
But thinking-feeling is such a complex catagory of respose and relationship, it's really doing oneself a disservice to say that because you like to maintain good relationships among people, look for bridges instead of fences, that you are more 'feeling' than 'thinking.' Seems to me that the person who'd rather drive home the point that they are right rather than seek harmony is not so much 'thinking' as they are stroking their ego.

You know, it really depends on where you are envisioning yourself as you answer those questions. If you thinking about how to interact with people at an online religion forum you might answer one way, if you are in a war fighting for your life you'll think another. A person who is spending a lot of their time at a place of buisness trying to get things accomplished is going to answer differently than a mom at home with the kids and trying to organize a fun play date with friends. My answers would be a lot different after a day at the lab than after a Sunday afternoon at home, but maybe that's just because I'm so evenly divided on that particular catagory. :shrug:

Pehaps I've discovered the reason I avoided taking the test to begin with...I don't like labels and boxes. :D
Luna, I reiterate that saying that someone is "feeling" does NOT mean that they can't think. It doesn't even mean that someone who is a "thinker" is better at thinking than someone who is a "feeler." This is not a measure of ability. Rather it's a measure of how you approach things. As a T, I assure you that I am still capable of feeling.

And yes, you do function differently in different contexts. I am very P on my own but I get very J when I have to work with other people. Knowing that I am accountable to others makes me want to clearly define goals and responsibilities and be on time, etc. When I do that, I'm "working against type." It doesn't mean I can't do it. In fact, I do it so well that people sometimes mistake me for J. But it requires more energy to do it. It causes some amount of stress. I get tired more easily.

What Myers Briggs tries to do (it's just a diagnostic, not a mind reader) is measure what your innate preferences are.

Think of it this way. I am left-handed. If you hand me something, I will naturally, without thinking, reach for it with my left hand. That doesn't mean that I can't use my right hand. In fact, I'm pretty ambidextrous. It's just that my innate tendency is towards left-handedness.

lunamoth

Will to love
Luna, I reiterate that saying that someone is "feeling" does NOT mean that they can't think. It doesn't even mean that someone who is a "thinker" is better at thinking than someone who is a "feeler." This is not a measure of ability. Rather it's a measure of how you approach things. As a T, I assure you that I am still capable of feeling.

And yes, you do function differently in different contexts. I am very P on my own but I get very J when I have to work with other people. Knowing that I am accountable to others makes me want to clearly define goals and responsibilities and be on time, etc. When I do that, I'm "working against type." It doesn't mean I can't do it. In fact, I do it so well that people sometimes mistake me for J. But it requires more energy to do it. It causes some amount of stress. I get tired more easily.

What Myers Briggs tries to do (it's just a diagnostic, not a mind reader) is measure what your innate preferences are.

Think of it this way. I am left-handed. If you hand me something, I will naturally, without thinking, reach for it with my left hand. That doesn't mean that I can't use my right hand. In fact, I'm pretty ambidextrous. It's just that my innate tendency is towards left-handedness.

Thank you for the clarification lilithu. I think we see it pretty much the same way, but I must admit I have a trigger when it comes to labels that seem to imply I can't or don't 'think.'

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Thank you for the clarification lilithu. I think we see it pretty much the same way, but I must admit I have a trigger when it comes to labels that seem to imply I can't or don't 'think.'
We share the experience of having been a theist in science/academia. I know where you're coming from. :yes:

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1]IntrovertedIntuitiveThinkingJudging[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]10025144[/SIZE]
INTJ type description by D.Keirsey
INTJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

[SIZE=+0]Career Choices for Your Type[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Qualitative analysis of your type formula[/SIZE]
You are:
  • very expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • slightly expressed thinking personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
I am a definite introvert in real life. It got that part right. Am I judgemental you guys? Is that how I appear?

lunamoth

Will to love
We share the experience of having been a theist in science/academia. I know where you're coming from. :yes:

And a woman in academia.

Funny though, some of my sensitivity to interpersonal relationships comes from many years of learning this in the workplace. Believe it or not, students and some of my employees found me quite intimidating. :eek:

gmelrod

Resident Heritic
I came up as an ENTP and I have to say it is awesome. I am going to post a single paragraph that, if you look at my initial member post is very similar to how I describe myself.

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick(I would like to think so), and generally love to argue (definetly [sp?] true)--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor (hee hee they said perv) as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate (I do I do). They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport (I post on the forums because my girlfriend is tired of my constantly wanting to debate her).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Believe it or not, students and some of my employees found me quite intimidating. :eek:

As do I. Smart, competent, well educated women naturally intimidate me. They remind me of my inadequacies as a human being -- especially if they can remember phone numbers (I myself am horrible at remembering phone numbers). That's why you and Lilithu always alarm me. I usually jump out of my seat in fright when I see that either one of you has posted something. I just know it's going to be some smart, competent, well educated remark. Either that or a phone number that I'll never be able to recall.

lunamoth

Will to love
As do I. Smart, competent, well educated women naturally intimidate me. They remind me of my inadequacies as a human being -- especially if they can remember phone numbers (I myself am horrible at remembering phone numbers). That's why you and Lilithu always alarm me. I usually jump out of my seat in fright when I see that either one of you has posted something. I just know it's going to be some smart, competent, well educated remark. Either that or a phone number that I'll never be able to recall.

I have made it a personal policy to never remember phone numbers as part of the rehabilitation program aimed at reducing my intimidation factor.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1]IntrovertedIntuitiveThinkingJudging[/SIZE][SIZE=-0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]10025144[/SIZE]
INTJ type description by D.Keirsey
INTJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

[SIZE=-0]Career Choices for Your Type[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Qualitative analysis of your type formula[/SIZE]
You are:
  • very expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • slightly expressed thinking personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
I am a definite introvert in real life. It got that part right. Am I judgemental you guys? Is that how I appear?
As luna said, "judging" doesn't mean that you are judgmental. It's an unfortunate label and I don't even know why it's called that. "Judging" means that you like things in your life to be clearly defined. For example, if we were meeting for lunch some time, you as a "judger" would want to know where and when way in advance. I otoh, as a "perceiver" would want to leave things open, see what comes up, go with the flow. (Altho, as I told luna elsewhere, when other people are involved, I tend to get more J.)

So now does J sound like you? :)

Ðanisty

The problem is that people see the word judging and think judgmental when the words really aren't the same. Judging people, as far as the Myers-Briggs is concerned, prefer order and organization as opposed to spontaneity.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ðanisty;807461 said:
The problem is that people see the word judging and think judgmental when the words really aren't the same. Judging people, as far as the Myers-Briggs is concerned, prefer order and organization as opposed to spontaneity.

*nods* That seems to be a major 'stumbling block'.