• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My plan to change the interstate freeway system

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Here's my vision I had driving on the freeway:

Every few miles of every major freeway in California will have a parking lot next to an onramp, where there will be a kiosk. When you slide your credit card, you will be asked at which exit you will like to exit. Once you have made that decision, and have slid your card, a drone-car, will emerge from a warehouse at the corner of the parking lot, which will fly out of the open roof, and land at a designated circle at the center of the parking lot, where a paid person will make sure that you board safely. The process will have taken 1 to 2 minutes time.

Once aboard the drone, it will fly on it's own, using technology similar to Tesla's self driving cars, and will fly approximately 75 to 100 feet directly above the freeway, and will have flashing LED lights to make it visible. the drone will travel at about 100 MPH, all the way to the exit you had determined earlier when you boarded at the kiosk, where you will land in another parking lot, where you can be picked up by uber, lyft or a friend.

I think it will revolutionize the transportation industry, and will phase out Amtrak and bus systems, which is why they better get on board with this soon, or sink like a stone. The thing that's best about this, is no wait times... No waiting for a train or bus... No designated times, it's 24/7/365... It takes 2 minutes... Also, I think the flashing lights above the freeway will look really cool at night, with crafts buzzing both ways on the freeway directly above car traffic... This will also ensure safe airways, having drones only over the freeways, and not flying about chaotically.

Please give me feedback on my idea of revolutionizing transportation.

I could agree with this idea if there were a nearly impossible chance of faulty drones falling out of the sky onto the freeway.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
We are currently designing a residential block with a drone landing area on the roof. Only for Amazon parcels and the like, not for people.
I'm not convinced about drones, I suspect they will become targets for people with (in UK) air rifles and shooting them down will become a pastime for scroats; also they will be damn dangerous if they fail and drop from the sky.

I've read the news about unauthorized drones causing the shutdown of London's airport.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Every few miles of every major freeway in California will have a parking lot next to an onramp, where there will be a kiosk. When you slide your credit card, you will be asked at which exit you will like to exit. Once you have made that decision, and have slid your card, a drone-car, will emerge from a warehouse at the corner of the parking lot, which will fly out of the open roof, and land at a designated circle at the center of the parking lot, where a paid person will make sure that you board safely. The process will have taken 1 to 2 minutes time.

Once aboard the drone, it will fly on it's own, using technology similar to Tesla's self driving cars, and will fly approximately 75 to 100 feet directly above the freeway, and will have flashing LED lights to make it visible. the drone will travel at about 100 MPH, all the way to the exit you had determined earlier when you boarded at the kiosk, where you will land in another parking lot, where you can be picked up by uber, lyft or a friend.

I think it will revolutionize the transportation industry, and will phase out Amtrak and bus systems, which is why they better get on board with this soon, or sink like a stone. The thing that's best about this, is no wait times... No waiting for a train or bus... No designated times, it's 24/7/365... It takes 2 minutes... Also, I think the flashing lights above the freeway will look really cool at night, with crafts buzzing both ways on the freeway directly above car traffic... This will also ensure safe airways, having drones only over the freeways, and not flying about chaotically.

If this means we will not have to drive our own cars on freeways, I am all for it.

I cannot drive on freeways anymore, I am too frightened, so this means I cannot take trips out of town. This is extremely limiting, so if your system worked that would mean I could travel again.

I cannot even get on the freeway when I need to for something so if I have to go up to the Seattle area I have to try to figure out how I could take a train or a bus, but of course these would not go to my ultimate destination, so I would still have a problem. :(

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The most common personal helicopter is the Robinson R22, which starts at around $250,000. The service life of this helicopter is ca. 2,000 hours; so I figure the cost of riding this vehicle would be only around $125/hour, excluding the overhead charges for parking and warehousing of the vehicles.

Robinson R22 - Wikipedia

Warehouse for monthly rent in Los Angeles can range from on average $0.82 to $1.53 per square feet.

Industrial Space for Rent Los Angeles County, CA | Free Listings

A Robinson R-22 helicopter takes up about 500 square feet of size.

Robinson R22 - Wikipedia

The cost to store this helicopter would be $500/month or about $17/day. If 8 people were to use this helicopter on average daily, then the storage cost would be about $2 per passenger. The cost of car parking at LAX is approximately $4/day. The cost of the on boarding attendant, I'm guessing is about $15/hour. So, I'm calculating the overall cost of riding this helicopter would be about $145/hour or only $72.50 for a half-hour round trip commute.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
The most common personal helicopter is the Robinson R22, which starts at around $250,000. The service life of this helicopter is ca. 2,000 hours; so I figure the cost of riding this vehicle would be only around $125/hour, excluding the overhead charges for parking and warehousing of the vehicles.

Robinson R22 - Wikipedia

Warehouse for monthly rent in Los Angeles can range from on average $0.82 to $1.53 per square feet.

Industrial Space for Rent Los Angeles County, CA | Free Listings

A Robinson R-22 helicopter takes up about 500 square feet of size.

Robinson R22 - Wikipedia

The cost to store this helicopter would be $500/month or about $17/day. If 8 people were to use this helicopter on average daily, then the storage cost would be about $2 per passenger. The cost of car parking at LAX is approximately $4/day. The cost of the on boarding attendant, I'm guessing is about $15/hour. So, I'm calculating the overall cost of riding this helicopter would be about $145/hour or only $72.50 for a half-hour round trip commute.

Let's say Tesla made a self-driving passenger drone, and it also cost $250,000, and the government provided the warehouses and the parking lots, then that means we could get 1000 passenger drones up and running for only 250 million.

...That's only a tiny fraction of the billions they were about to spend on light-rail.

Cooky

Veteran Member
...In fact, for the proposed billion dollar rail they were about to build, we could get 40,000 passenger-drones up and running at $250,000 a pop.

...I'd rather have that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I kind of was going for pneumatic tubes.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Let's say Tesla made a self-driving passenger drone, and it also cost $250,000, and the government provided the warehouses and the parking lots, then that means we could get 1000 passenger drones up and running for only 250 million.

...That's only a tiny fraction of the billions they were about to spend on light-rail.
Now figure in the paperwork.
You know, licenses, permits, etc.
Not to mention the land required.
Or perhaps you plan on using imminent domain?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Now all you have to do is figure out who is paying for the parking lots, warehouses, and drones.

I've calculated $75 should suffice in paying the cost of a half-hour round trip commute; at this bargain price, customers would be more than willing to pay for this mode of transportation getting them half way across town. If the on boarding attendant were to provide a complimentary chocolate mint, that'd seal the deal for me.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Now figure in the paperwork.
You know, licenses, permits, etc.
Not to mention the land required.
Or perhaps you plan on using imminent domain?

I was thinking imminent domain, actually yes. The 5 freeway cut right through neighborhoods in LA. Here, we're just talking about half acre lots every so often. Paperwork and permits shouldn't be too bad, since the passenger drones will be flying at a designated height, directly above the freeway, that will be precalculated by the Tesla programmers via trial runs and terrain measurements.

I think the hold-up with drones this whole time, is that the air-space would become chaotic, which meant licensing and permits are being put on hold. Keeping them in line, above freeways seems very orderly.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I've calculated $75 should suffice in paying the cost of a half-hour round trip commute; at this bargain price, customers would be more than willing to pay for this mode of transportation getting them half way across town. If the on boarding attendant were to provide a complimentary chocolate mint, that'd seal the deal for me.

At that price, the money spent on building the drones would be all paid off in no time. I'm sure tourists would love the concept too, say leaving Disneyland right off the 5 freeway to Universal Studio's, also right off the 5 freeway. A nasty drive that would normally take over an hour dropped down to a fun 30 min.

...Money is to be made here for sure! Especially since the automated boarding would only take 2 minutes time.

Last edited by a moderator: