• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My plan to change the interstate freeway system

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
How about building a matter transporter to send the car to your destination so when the drone lands you wont need to trouble a friend or pay taxi fare.

But then you could stay in your car and wouldn't need the freeway at all... Hmmm, maybe i solved the whole transport thing

Scientists say teleportation is 'possible' as they transfer atoms three metres | Daily Mail Online

While the teleportation of one or more qubits of information between two entangled quanta is a proven possibility, this has never been achieved between anything in the non-quantum realm of objects larger than molecules.

New York Times, Scientists Teleport Not Kirk, but an Atom (2004)

Riebe, M.; Häffner, H.; Roos, C. F.; Hänsel, W.; Benhelm, J.; Lancaster, G. P. T.; Körber, T. W.; Becher, C.; Schmidt-Kaler, F.; James, D. F. V.; Blatt, R. (2004). "Deterministic quantum teleportation with atoms". Nature. 429 (6993): 734–737.

Barrett, M. D.; Chiaverini, J.; Schaetz, T.; Britton, J.; Itano, W. M.; Jost, J. D.; Knill, E.; Langer, C.; Leibfried, D.; Ozeri, R.; Wineland, D. J. (2004). "Deterministic quantum teleportation of atomic qubits". Nature. 429 (6993): 737–739.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's my vision I had driving on the freeway:

Every few miles of every major freeway in California will have a parking lot next to an onramp, where there will be a kiosk. When you slide your credit card, you will be asked at which exit you will like to exit. Once you have made that decision, and have slid your card, a drone-car, will emerge from a warehouse at the corner of the parking lot, which will fly out of the open roof, and land at a designated circle at the center of the parking lot, where a paid person will make sure that you board safely. The process will have taken 1 to 2 minutes time.

Once aboard the drone, it will fly on it's own, using technology similar to Tesla's self driving cars, and will fly approximately 75 to 100 feet directly above the freeway, and will have flashing LED lights to make it visible. the drone will travel at about 100 MPH, all the way to the exit you had determined earlier when you boarded at the kiosk, where you will land in another parking lot, where you can be picked up by uber, lyft or a friend.

I think it will revolutionize the transportation industry, and will phase out Amtrak and bus systems, which is why they better get on board with this soon, or sink like a stone. The thing that's best about this, is no wait times... No waiting for a train or bus... No designated times, it's 24/7/365... It takes 2 minutes... Also, I think the flashing lights above the freeway will look really cool at night, with crafts buzzing both ways on the freeway directly above car traffic... This will also ensure safe airways, having drones only over the freeways, and not flying about chaotically.

Please give me feedback on my idea of revolutionizing transportation.
Its interesting.

I think that for safety along with clean running of your drones you'd need redundant engines and an emergency power unit onboard. You'll also need to install safety structures (such as netting or beams) above the highways, or you'd endanger drivers. Then if a drone and its backup fails it won't fall into the highway. Out of this you should get very few problems if you properly simulate it first and then do trial runs for several years.

Another proposal I have heard (think I read it on a cereal box) which would be a little more difficult to implement would be to link the automobiles wirelessly and take away direct control from the drivers, so that there would be zero traffic jams. The real cause of traffic jams is the way that people drive, so if you required every Californian using that freeway to install computer controls and submit to computer controls on the freeway you'd eliminate traffic jams. Instead of slowing to a crawl you'd probably move traffic along at 35mph or better.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Its interesting.

I think that for safety along with clean running of your drones you'd need redundant engines and an emergency power unit onboard. You'll also need to install safety structures (such as netting or beams) above the highways, or you'd endanger drivers. Then if a drone and its backup fails it won't fall into the highway. Out of this you should get very few problems if you properly simulate it first and then do trial runs for several years.

Another proposal I have heard (think I read it on a cereal box) which would be a little more difficult to implement would be to link the automobiles wirelessly and take away direct control from the drivers, so that there would be zero traffic jams. The real cause of traffic jams is the way that people drive, so if you required every Californian using that freeway to install computer controls and submit to computer controls on the freeway you'd eliminate traffic jams. Instead of slowing to a crawl you'd probably move traffic along at 35mph or better.

The emergency power unit is a good idea. :thumbsup:

But since the crafts will be electric, they'll probably be light... Light enough for an emergency parachute to engage, sort of like an airbag in a car does. At that time, the LED lights will enter into "strobe" mode, which will catch car drivers attention, signaling them to steer clear.

...There would also be a cautionary emergency landing sensor, that will engage and land the craft on the shoulder of the highway, should the system detect a malfunction, yet the craft is still functioning well enough to make an emergency landing, which will also alert the authorities that a craft has landed on the freeway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think Californians would be willing to pay the money to beat the traffic -it's unbearable here. The crafts could be built 'as-needed' too, depending on how many people take part... I know I would, just for the fun of it!
It's unbearable in LA, but not everywhere in California is like LA. For example, it only gets unbearable in Bakersfield around rush hour because all the construction going on right now. But, LA itself is an unbearable mad house for more than a brief visit.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It's unbearable in LA, but not everywhere in California is like LA. For example, it only gets unbearable in Bakersfield around rush hour because all the construction going on right now. But, LA itself is an unbearable mad house for more than a brief visit.

I was taking the I-5 from my job in Ventura all the way home to Anaheim, when I came up with this fantastic idea. Yeah, I was staying in hotels most of the time, but when I wanted to drive home, it was beyond ridiculous.

...There were a few times I became violent. :oops:

la traffic.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was taking the I-5 from my job in Ventura all the way home to Anaheim, when I came up with this fantastic idea. Yeah, I was staying in hotels most of the time, but when I wanted to drive home, it was beyond ridiculous.

...There were a few times I became violent. :oops:

View attachment 36556
That's because that's all one giant concrete cluster cluck of mess. Going from Riverside to the 5 to get back to Bako is mindnumbingly infuriating, and that's without congested traffic but just because it's a seemingly endless sea of city. And then there's the hour or more just to go 20 miles when traffic is congested. Bakersfield tends to only get that bad during Friday rush hour if there has been a bad wreck along the 99, and even then that's only along that free way, with the freeway through downtown being congested, and a chunk of the northern part of town. Other than that traffic there sucks because red lights are often very long, and very many and plentiful in number. But from about midnight through 5ish in the morning it's easy to zip around town in about 10-20 minutes anywhere you're going.

Cooky

Veteran Member
That's because that's all one giant concrete cluster cluck of mess. Going from Riverside to the 5 to get back to Bako is mindnumbingly infuriating, and that's without congested traffic but just because it's a seemingly endless sea of city. And then there's the hour or more just to go 20 miles when traffic is congested. Bakersfield tends to only get that bad during Friday rush hour if there has been a bad wreck along the 99, and even then that's only along that free way, with the freeway through downtown being congested, and a chunk of the northern part of town. Other than that traffic there sucks because red lights are often very long, and very many and plentiful in number. But from about midnight through 5ish in the morning it's easy to zip around town in about 10-20 minutes anywhere you're going.

I always thought Bakersfield had an Indiana-ish feel to it. I've worked there too.

...I remember going to the library there for some reason, I thought it was a nice library.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I always thought Bakersfield had an Indiana-ish feel to it.
Nope. It's bleeding heart liberal compared to Indiana, not nearly as many churches, not nearly as Christian, decent wages, stuff to do, things to see, and people largely and mostly leave you alone. If it felt anything like Indiana, I wouldn't like it there. I still have to travel for some services, but among other things it's just not white enough to be like Indiana (which can be pretty racist in some areas).

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nope. It's bleeding heart liberal compared to Indiana, not nearly as many churches, not nearly as Christian, decent wages, stuff to do, things to see, and people largely and mostly leave you alone. If it felt anything like Indiana, I wouldn't like it there. I still have to travel for some services, but among other things it's just not white enough to be like Indiana (which can be pretty racist in some areas).

Well, I'm from Valparaiso, Indiana originally -which is probably unlike the part of Indiana where you're from. It's in Porter County.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I'm from Valparaiso, Indiana originally -which is probably unlike the part of Indiana where you're from. It's in Porter County.
I've been there many times, many times to the Girl Scout camp just outside of town. I lived about 1 1/2 from there, around Kokomo, Elwood, Peru. Though I'm not originally from Indiana.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
While the teleportation of one or more qubits of information between two entangled quanta is a proven possibility, this has never been achieved between anything in the non-quantum realm of objects larger than molecules.

New York Times, Scientists Teleport Not Kirk, but an Atom (2004)

Riebe, M.; Häffner, H.; Roos, C. F.; Hänsel, W.; Benhelm, J.; Lancaster, G. P. T.; Körber, T. W.; Becher, C.; Schmidt-Kaler, F.; James, D. F. V.; Blatt, R. (2004). "Deterministic quantum teleportation with atoms". Nature. 429 (6993): 734–737.

Barrett, M. D.; Chiaverini, J.; Schaetz, T.; Britton, J.; Itano, W. M.; Jost, J. D.; Knill, E.; Langer, C.; Leibfried, D.; Ozeri, R.; Wineland, D. J. (2004). "Deterministic quantum teleportation of atomic qubits". Nature. 429 (6993): 737–739.

I am pretty sure i posted this link

Scientists say teleportation is 'possible' as they transfer atoms three metres | Daily Mail Online

Note dated 2014, somewhat later than your 2004 article.

Also note
Nothing in the laws of physics fundamentally forbids the teleportation of large objects, including humans, researchers claim.

They were able to transport an atom three metres with 100% accuracy.

So yes, t has been achieved.

It is a fast moving (by scientific standards) field of research

Cooky

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure i posted this link

Note dated 2014, somewhat later than your 2004 article.

Also note
Nothing in the laws of physics fundamentally forbids the teleportation of large objects, including humans, researchers claim.

They were able to transport an atom three metres with 100% accuracy.

So yes, t has been achieved.

It is a fast moving (by scientific standards) field of research

It wasn't the same atom though. It was the 'information' of one atom transferred to another atom.

...If it were possible to transfer all the information, from every atom in your human body to to a collection of other atoms, you would appear to have teleported... But would you still be the same person? Who knows.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It wasn't the same atom though. It was the 'information' of one atom transferred to another atom.

...If it were possible to transfer all the information, from every atom in your human body to to a collection of other atoms, you would appear to have teleported... But would you still be the same person? Who knows.

I would say, considering all atoms started out as hydrogen and developed during the life of the universe, and every single one of your atoms has at some time in the past been something/someone else then you are your current information.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here's my vision I had driving on the freeway:

Every few miles of every major freeway in California will have a parking lot next to an onramp, where there will be a kiosk. When you slide your credit card, you will be asked at which exit you will like to exit. Once you have made that decision, and have slid your card, a drone-car, will emerge from a warehouse at the corner of the parking lot, which will fly out of the open roof, and land at a designated circle at the center of the parking lot, where a paid person will make sure that you board safely. The process will have taken 1 to 2 minutes time.

Once aboard the drone, it will fly on it's own, using technology similar to Tesla's self driving cars, and will fly approximately 75 to 100 feet directly above the freeway, and will have flashing LED lights to make it visible. the drone will travel at about 100 MPH, all the way to the exit you had determined earlier when you boarded at the kiosk, where you will land in another parking lot, where you can be picked up by uber, lyft or a friend.

I think it will revolutionize the transportation industry, and will phase out Amtrak and bus systems, which is why they better get on board with this soon, or sink like a stone. The thing that's best about this, is no wait times... No waiting for a train or bus... No designated times, it's 24/7/365... It takes 2 minutes... Also, I think the flashing lights above the freeway will look really cool at night, with crafts buzzing both ways on the freeway directly above car traffic... This will also ensure safe airways, having drones only over the freeways, and not flying about chaotically.

Please give me feedback on my idea of revolutionizing transportation.
So your solution to traffic is an effectively unlimited supply of autonomous helicopters large enough to carry people and their belongings?

Cooky

Veteran Member
So your solution to traffic is an effectively unlimited supply of autonomous helicopters large enough to carry people and their belongings?
Yes.

I'm thinking compact 4 seaters, not any larger than a fiat.

...Because if they can do this, they can do it like a compact car:

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Yes.

I'm thinking compact 4 seaters, not any larger than a fiat.

...Because if they can do this, they can do it like a compact car:

In your picture, I'm picturing a bloody mess if somebody's foot slipped into the rotating propeller blades below and to the side where the rider is supposed to be seated.

Cooky

Veteran Member
In your picture, I'm picturing a bloody mess if somebody's foot slipped into the rotating propeller blades below and to the side where the rider is supposed to be seated.

Yep. That's the Russian model, and it has some definite hazards.

...I think the Americans can do better.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I was thinking imminent domain, actually yes. The 5 freeway cut right through neighborhoods in LA. Here, we're just talking about half acre lots every so often. Paperwork and permits shouldn't be too bad, since the passenger drones will be flying at a designated height, directly above the freeway, that will be precalculated by the Tesla programmers via trial runs and terrain measurements.

I think the hold-up with drones this whole time, is that the air-space would become chaotic, which meant licensing and permits are being put on hold. Keeping them in line, above freeways seems very orderly.
Half Acre lots?
Seriously?
Or is the plan to imminent domain in half acre lots to get enough land for each "station"?