• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mom Died Recently

Tmac

Yes, I heard my grandfather say that a person's debt to the mother is forty times that of the father. Orthodox Hindus. :)

I would like to know the reason behind the thought "forty times"? I find it hard (I don't think of it as a debt, I don't understand the word like he would) to keep my balance if I don't see them as equal.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My condolences,sounds an amazing woman.

Thanks,. England. I'm a bit biased as her son, of course, but she began amazing me when I finally got old enough to quit taking her for granted -- and empathize with some of the things she'd been through in her life. :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Thanks,. England. I'm a bit biased as her son, of course, but she began amazing me when I finally got old enough to quit taking her for granted -- and empathize with some of the things she'd been through in her life. :)

I get that,we all have taken them for granted but they wouldn't have it any other way.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
We never truly lose those we love, even in death. They live on in our memories and our hearts, but especially in how we emulate them in how we treat others. May she forever be a part of you @Sunstone .

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would like to know the reason behind the thought "forty times"? I find it hard (I don't think of it as a debt, I don't understand the word like he would) to keep my balance if I don't see them as equal.
Sorry, I do not know where is that mentioned but that is what my learned and orthodox grandfather said. He was a strange mixture of tradition and modernity. He wrote a Dharma Shastra (Law book for Hindus - Vishweshwara Smriti; 8,000 verses in Sanskrit, as recently as 1950), accepted Big-Bang, 92 elements, plate tectonics, evolution, fossils, supported window marriage and favored teaching to unprivileged (dalits). I too am like that, modern as well as traditional (and a strong atheist to boot).

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We never truly lose those we love, even in death. They live on in our memories and our hearts, but especially in how we emulate them in how we treat others. May she forever be a part of you @Sunstone .

Thank you for your kind wishes, MS. I see her in my brothers and myself.

Tmac

Sorry, I do not know where is that mentioned but that is what my learned and orthodox grandfather said. He was a strange mixture of tradition and modernity. He wrote a Dharma Shastra (Law book for Hindus - Vishweshwara Smriti; 8,000 verses in Sanskrit), accepted Big-Bang, 92 elements, plate tectonics, evolution, fossils, supported window marriage and favored teaching to unprivileged (dalits). I too am like that, modern as well as traditional (and a strong atheist to boot).

Window marriage?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a beautiful tribute you have written about your mother.
Now I think I know how you are such a beautiful person.
She did you good!

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Cattle die, | and kinsmen die,
And so one dies one’s self;
But a noble name | will never die,
If good renown one gets.

~Hávamál s.77

Miss her, but don't mourn for her. Keep her memory dear, and she'll never be truly gone.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounded like a very wonderful woman. You are truly privileged to have such a great person for a mother.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
That was a beautiful tribute to a life well lived @Sunstone.
We can all love our Moms just for fulfilling their caring and nurturing role from birth to adulthood, but not everyone has the privilege of respecting them for their strengths and achievements outside of that role. How amazing to discover so many more than you ever knew about. Like finding buried treasures.

As one caring for my own mother in her nineties, I too have amazing things to recount about her life and experiences....and her incredible strength in the face of overwhelming tragedy.....I cannot imagine my life without her.
I guess this is when our beliefs sustain us.

Grief is like a dark tunnel....of undetermined length. We enter, but no one knows how long we will take to see the light and emerge from the other side.

May you have peace and continue to keep your mother's wonderful legacy in your heart. :herb: :rose::herb:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Cattle die, | and kinsmen die,
And so one dies one’s self;
But a noble name | will never die,
If good renown one gets.

~Hávamál s.77

Miss her, but don't mourn for her. Keep her memory dear, and she'll never be truly gone.

Thank you for your kind advice, RP.