• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi Governor Proclaims Confederate Heritage Month

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
So whats the problem? You dont like it? If not try to muster up an.argument and tell us why.

You're right! So in honor of confederate heritage month, let's quote a snippet from the confederacy's mission statement: the cornerstone speech

"The Constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”2

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Isn't that nice?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
No matter how anyone tries to change history and the historical record, just read the Articles of Secession and you can see how central racism and slavery both were to the Confederate cause. I mean, they were front and center.

Ignatius A

You're right! So in honor of confederate heritage month, let's quote a snippet from the confederacy's mission statement: the cornerstone speech

"The Constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”2

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Isn't that nice?
No it's not nice but in America people have a right to say things that aren't nice, that offend you and that you would prefer not to hear.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
No it's not nice but in America people have a right to say things that aren't nice, that offend you and that you would prefer not to hear.

Oh, like when they built civil war monuments and burned crosses on people's lawns during the civil rights movement? They've done nothing but exercise their first amendment rights this whole time while trying to squash the first amendment rights of others. You're right, though. They do have the rights and freedom to say what they please... And people have the right to call out their BS for what it is

It does invoke a bit of schadenfreude that they'd cling to the constitution by honoring traitors who tried to subvert and "free themselves" from that very same constitution so they could enslave and subjugate people overtly

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rebels are heroes if they win, villains
if they lose.
Regarding the Confederacy, that war was over
preserving slavery. This travesty still has open
wounds. To celebrate it is pretty clueless. They
might as well have celebratory lynchings &
slave auctions.

What I find more fascinating is celebration of
Viking heritage. Rape, murder, pillaging, robbery,
& also slavery. Criminy, Vikings make the
Confederates look like saints.
They're proud of this?
If I had any Scandinavian blood, I'd slice
open a finger, & let that blood all run out.
Did the same with my German blood.
(Got a wee bit faint from that deluge.)

Last edited:

Ignatius A

Oh, like when they built civil war monuments and burned crosses on people's lawns during the civil rights movement? They've done nothing but exercise their first amendment rights this whole time while trying to squash the first amendment rights of others. You're right, though. They do have the rights and freedom to say what they please... And people have the right to call out their BS for what it is

It does invoke a bit of schadenfreude that they'd cling to the constitution by honoring traitors who tried to subvert and "free themselves" from that very same constitution so they could enslave and subjugate people overtly
Burning crosses is violence. Statues and monuments are not. People have a right to things we all don't like. Period.

Ignatius A

I, for one, love the idea of America setting aside entire sections of its calendar to celebrate movements that were explicitly their enemies.

Can the USSR have November? That could potentially leave June to be "Hitler's paintings appreciation month".
People are free to appreciate things you don't like and you're free to whine about it.

Ignatius A

Those monuments were erected specifically to let black people know that they were still under their thumb during the Jim crow era. It is what it is, and you can justify it any way you like
Prove intent. I'm not interested in your opinion.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure, they're free to do this. I don't think anybody is arguing otherwise. They're just throwing red meat to their bigoted citizenry, but I encourage them to let the world know who they are, what they stand for, and what matters to them. It would be nice if they could eventually learn to be civilized, but as long as they remain the way they are, let them wear their virtual white sheets.

Speaking of which, I saw your comment on another thread, "Run Forrest, run." Did you recall that Forrest Gump was named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the Klan? It looks like he had a statue that was torn down: Controversial Nathan Bedford Forrest statue torn down off I-65 in Nashville