• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi Governor Proclaims Confederate Heritage Month

Ignatius A

Sure, they're free to do this. I don't think anybody is arguing otherwise. They're just throwing red meat to their bigoted citizenry, but I encourage them to let the world know who they are, what they stand for, and what matters to them. It would be nice if they could eventually learn to be civilized, but as long as they remain the way they are, let them wear their virtual white sheets.

Speaking of which, I saw your comment on another thread, "Run Forrest, run." Did you recall that Forrest Gump was named after Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the Klan? It looks like he had a statue that was torn down: Controversial Nathan Bedford Forrest statue torn down off I-65 in Nashville
People don't live according to how you think they should live. Unless it personally impacts you why do you care? One of my favorite leftist arguments.

I know and I couldn't care less.

Ignatius A

It's not my job to do your homework for you. If you want to sit with your fingers in your ears, that's on you. The information is out there if you care to look
So you make a claim but I have look for the evidence to prove your claim? It's always the same with you folks isnt it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In the case of the Confederacy, the
war was over preservation of slavery.
This was a travesty that still leaves
open wounds. To celebrate it is
pretty clueless.
They might as well have celebratory
lynchings & slave auctions.
I couldn't agree more.

The descendants of all those slaves are still there, still citizens of Mississippi, and this is (or really appears to be) a vicious slap in the faces of all of them.

Slavery was (is) a great evil, and making war -- killing your fellow Americans and kinsmen -- to preserve it must be accepted as an even greater evil. Why anyone would want to celebrate it suggests a longing for its return.

Reeves tries to downplay this in his proclamation, saying: “Whereas, as we honor all who lost their lives in this war, it is important for all Americans to reflect upon our nation’s past, to gain insight from our mistakes and successes, and to come to a full understanding that the lessons learned yesterday and today will carry us through tomorrow if we carefully and earnestly strive to understand and appreciate our heritage and our opportunities which lie before us.”

But what he doesn't acknowledge (and therefore downplays) is that Beauvoir is owned and operated by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a neo-Confederate organization that promotes “Lost Cause” ideology, a revisionist history that whitewashes the Confederacy’s racist past and downplays the role of slavery in the Civil War.

Audie

Veteran Member
Regarding the Confederacy, that war
over preservation of slavery. This was
a travesty that still leaves open wounds.
To celebrate it is pretty clueless.
They might as well have celebratory
lynchings & slave auctions.

What I find more fascinating is people
celebrating Viking heritage. Raping, murder,
pillaging, robbery, & also slavery. Criminy,
Vikings make Confederates look like saints.
They're proud of this?
If I had any Scandinavian blood, I'd slice
open a finger, & let that blood all run out.
If the British observed slavery in
Yankeeland in say 1790 they'd be fully
judtified in waging all out war to the finish?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
So you make a claim but I have look for thr evidence to prove your claim? It's always the same with you folks isnt it?

This is not a thread posted on a debate forum, and honestly my time is too valuable to spend on trying to convince someone who ignores very basic history. I'm assuming you're an American

Curious though: what rationale do you have for the fact that the majority of civil war monuments were erected during the Jim Crowe and civil rights era? What's the point of that? Coincidence? Sure, why not

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
No it's not nice but in America people have a right to say things that aren't nice, that offend you and that you would prefer not to hear.

As much as I dislike the Confederacy, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I think this falls under freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I personally don't like to glorify the South, but I don't like glorifying the North either. The fact is, the United States of America has a long, disturbing history of racism and racial injustice against minorities (Native Americans, for instance). Racism against minorities and social injustice didn't just exist in the South.

Ignatius A

This is not a thread posted on a debate forum, and honestly my time is too valuable to spend on trying to convince someone who ignores very basic history. I'm assuming you're an American

Curious though: what rationale do you have for the fact that the majority of civil war monuments were erected during the Jim Crowe and civil rights era? What's the point of that? Coincidence? Sure, why not
Look you can be outraged if that makes you feel better. I'm not here to make you happy. You made a claim to know the intent of the people who erected those things and I've asked you to show how you know their intent. You're argument is "timing". Ok. It's evidence it's just not compelling in my opinion.

Ignatius A

As much as I dislike the Confederacy, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I think this falls under freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I personally don't like to glorify the South, but I don't like glorifying the North either. The fact is, the United States of America has a long, disturbing history of racism and racial injustice against minorities (Native Americans, for instance). Racism against minorities and social injustice didn't just exist in the South.
Correct and that has been exploited by some people to create an America that I would suggest is as divided now as during the civil war.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No it's not nice but in America people have a right to say things that aren't nice, that offend you and that you would prefer not to hear.
I don't think the right to say offensive things is being challenged.
It's the wisdom of exalting traitors who fought to keep people
enslaved. Really bad idea.
Why not put up a statue of cops executing civil rights activists, eh.
This would be legal, & would also represent common views.
They could claim that it supports law enforcement.

Some things...some speech....just ought not be done.
Others think it should. That is the issue here.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Look you can be outraged if that makes you feel better. I'm not here to make you happy. You made a claim to know the intent of the people who erected those things and I've asked you to show how you know their intent. You're argument is "timing". Ok. It's evidence it's just not compelling in my opinion.

So "coincidence" it is. Fair enough

Like I said though, it's not my job to do your homework for you. When I was a kid growing up, I learned about how Lincoln the northern aggressor came and attacked the noble people of the confederacy in school. I had to re-educate myself to learn what really happened on my own time. If you care, you can take the effort to do the same

Ignatius A

I don't think the right to say offensive things is being challenged.
It's the wisdom of exalting traitors who fought to keep people
enslaved. Really bad idea.
Why not put up a statue of cops executing civil rights activists, eh.
This would be legal, & would also represent common views.
They could claim that it supports law enforcement.

Some things...some speech....just ought not be done.
Others think it should. That is the issue here.
I believe thats precisely what's being challenged here.

Ignatius A

So "coincidence" it is. Fair enough

Like I said though, it's not my job to do your homework for you. When I was a kid growing up, I learned about how Lincoln the northern aggressor came and attacked the noble people of the confederacy in school. I had to re-educate myself to learn what really happened on my own time. If you care, you can take the effort to do the same
Ok. It's a weak argument but it is yours. I can respect your pride in it.

You made a claim and didn't back it up. That's all I need to know about you that you believe others are suppose to find the evidence for your claims. Again it very impressive.