• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misandry (hatred for men) -It's causes and it's relation to Misogynism

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why are women systemically lead off the Titanic before men..?
Why when a woman stubs her toe, men are expected to comfort them, but when a man falls down, it's shock followed by laughter?
Why lay a coat down on a puddle for a woman to walk on?

...Yet you claim women are treated in a second class fashion?

You're cherry picking.
In addition, concepts like letting women and children off the boat first are rooted in chivalry, and protective behaviours. Literally seeing the women (along with the children) as weaker, and needing male protection.
Consider this...if the boat had women and children only, do you think a large number of women would save kids at the expense of their own lives? Does that mean that children are valued more highly than women, or is it a protective behaviour based on the women's assessment that the kids are more helpless?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
on a first hand basis, I can relay to you that a few months ago, I fell 10 to 15 feet down a pole, and hurt my ribs really bad on bolts popping out of the pole, but my wife's first words were: "oh great, what are we going to do for income", rather than worry about my health. Turns out I was able to keep working, just in massive pain with a fractured rib.

...Likewise I was partially responsible for a snapped pole last wee, and received three days off for making a mistake. Now my wife is upset, because the money she feels entitled to won't be as plentiful as she hoped. Awwwwwww.... But I could have been killed!

She is a housewife. :cool:

...But please, lets not make this about me -I offer these up as examples that women are systemically treated, and expected to be treated better than men.

My wife wouldn't have reacted the same as yours, though.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But who are these women? I've never met anyone like that. You speak as if there is a whole sub-class of them out there, all hating men. Where?

I've read tiresome newspaper columnists with a permanent anti-man schtick, but then newspaper columnists are often paid to be outrageous, to fill up the letters page.

It is not easy to analyse the motivations of some putative group of people of whom one has no real experience.

They are out there. I just find them exceedingly rare in 'normal' life. Like communists, they seem more prevalent at Universities.

PureX

Veteran Member
I do. I mean, I don't really like such an un-nuanced take in any case. So...for example...if you flipped it and said 'Does anyone really doubt that men are the favoured sex in Western Civilisation..?' I'd still disagree.
The weird thing is that it's not a statement, it's a question. So there isn't anything to disagree, with.

PureX

Veteran Member
They are out there. I just find them exceedingly rare in 'normal' life. Like communists, they seem more prevalent at Universities.
They seem to be most prevalent in the minds of those who want to imagine themselves beset by an outrageously irrational hoard of angry women.

As to universities, they are places where young (and fairly naive) people encounter new ideas, and formulate new value systems, so it's only natural that one would encounter more extreme ideas, jargon, and behaviors, there.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
:rolleyes: Misandry is really simple. Human beings have a huge psychological problem, starting out as we do perceiving the world as either pleasurable or painful. Over our lifetimes we gradually start to accept that there are not two worlds: one of pain and one of pleasure. There is one world. Even so we tend to group things into pleasurable and painful. It so happens that sometimes we put individuals into one category or the other, and we can also associate groups of people that way. Its a mistake, but sometimes it happens. It can be something which is hard to change. An example is if someone deeply hurts your feelings and you have trouble getting past it. This has everything to do with how you view the world. Its a common psychological obstacle to be able to merge experiences. Forgiveness is based on it.

Totally unrelated to the concept of misandry or misogyny is feminism. Feminism is a holistic movement which seeks to improve the entirety of the human experience despite the 'Fem' in the term. It is related to egalitarianism. Additionally there are 2nd and 3rd wave feminists. The 3rd wave corresponds to a new focus for many feminists that has occurred over the last few decades. 2nd wave feminists use vernacular language to achieve somewhat obvious goals like trying to eliminate the slave trade or to get it so that women are treated with basic respect or to keep children from laboring in mines. Its very easy to understand 2nd wave terminology.

3rd wave uses terms like 'Patriarchy', a purposely annoying word. Some feel it demonstrates misandry among 3rd wave feminists, but I disagree. It is not intended to be immediately considered rational or acceptable. Its meant to generate debate. Its a clever sleight of hand -- mark my words. I know people think its a term that is intended to pass into permanent kitchen use, but I think the word itself is destined to fade into obscurity after generating discussions about society. Every time this term is mentioned there are reactions, and the reactions to the term are studied. It skirts the ethical questions about experimenting on people, but it is part of an experiment. Its an experiment being done on us, all of the people who don't like hearing it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
:rolleyes: Misandry is really simple. Human beings have a huge psychological problem, starting out as we do perceiving the world as either pleasurable or painful. Over our lifetimes we gradually start to accept that there are not two worlds: one of pain and one of pleasure. There is one world. Even so we tend to group things into pleasurable and painful. It so happens that sometimes we put individuals into one category or the other, and we can also associate groups of people that way. Its a mistake, but sometimes it happens. It can be something which is hard to change. An example is if someone deeply hurts your feelings and you have trouble getting past it. This has everything to do with how you view the world. Its a common psychological obstacle to be able to merge experiences. Forgiveness is based on it.

Totally unrelated to the concept of misandry or misogyny is feminism. Feminism is a holistic movement which seeks to improve the entirety of the human experience despite the 'Fem' in the term. It is related to egalitarianism. Additionally there are 2nd and 3rd wave feminists. The 3rd wave corresponds to a new focus for many feminists that has occurred over the last few decades. 2nd wave feminists use vernacular language to achieve somewhat obvious goals like trying to eliminate the slave trade or to get it so that women are treated with basic respect or to keep children from laboring in mines. Its very easy to understand 2nd wave terminology.

3rd wave uses terms like 'Patriarchy', a purposely annoying word. Some feel it demonstrates misandry among 3rd wave feminists, but I disagree. It is not intended to be immediately considered rational or acceptable. Its meant to generate debate. Its a clever sleight of hand -- mark my words. I know people think its a term that is intended to pass into permanent kitchen use, but I think the word itself is destined to fade into obscurity after generating discussions about society. Every time this term is mentioned there are reactions, and the reactions to the term are studied. It skirts the ethical questions about experimenting on people, but it is part of an experiment. Its an experiment being done on us, all of the people who don't like hearing it.
Good post - an excellent job of separating the issues of feminism and misandry.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The weird thing is that it's not a statement, it's a question. So there isn't anything to disagree, with.

It appeared to be a rhetorical question to me, so I read it as a statement of opinion, regardless the grammar.
Don't you see it that way?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They seem to be most prevalent in the minds of those who want to imagine themselves beset by an outrageously irrational hoard of angry women.

As to universities, they are places where young (and fairly naive) people encounter new ideas, and formulate new value systems, so it's only natural that one would encounter more extreme ideas, jargon, and behaviors, there.

Agree on both points you raise here.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think there is misandry when you say women can catcall men , hit on men and get away with it...whereas if a man does that, he is called a pig.

Simple as that...double standards.

For example...people okay this scene just because the one who hits on somebody is a woman

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think there is misandry when you say women can catcall men , hit on men and get away with it...whereas if a man does that, he is called a pig.

Seems to be a trend here in America. And yes, it can be bad. However though it may sting some people for me to say this, if said man makes six figures, and is fairly attractive, the man can *usually* get away with it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I think anyone catcalling is objectifying the person they're whistling at.
I also think men would feel less physically threatened by being objectified in the main than women would.

Seems obvious enough to me.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
You might come to realize one day, that the females you've provided for over many, many years, don't value you're life or well being all that much as you thought, but instead, value first and foremost the possessions you provided for them -when you feel that pain, that loss, you might second guess your opinion.

...Essentially, I'm talking about women who generally *don't like* men, and especially feel giving men credit of any kind, simply because they're men, is a worthless endeavor in itself.

Those women are most likely narcissists.
Feminism provides a smokescreen for narcissistic women.

I suggest you do some reading on the subject.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Seems to be a trend here in America. And yes, it can be bad. However though it may sting some people for me to say this, if said man makes six figures, and is fairly attractive, the man can *usually* get away with it.

The reason is hypergamy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was just curious what causes misandry in women, who seem to hate men for some reason. Does anyone think that this condition is caused by male abuse towards females at a young age? Are there ways to get around it, so that women can learn to not hate men, especially masculine men? And finally, is misogynism a reaction to misandry?

Can the cycle be broken? Or is the damage permanent?

In most cultures and many religions woman has been seen as second class for thousands of years. Surely a backlash had to come sometime. That backlash happend to have slowly come over the last 100 years.

I believe most women are quite happy with the status quo as it stands today. Although in some areas, as you say, abuse, and breaking through the glass ceiling for example, a little more parity would be welcome.

961447f40fcfa76f4a91e74051401e9ae9e305d8510af8e06b9e783c83084ca5.jpg

Misandry is really quite rare, other than the odd TV news item featuring maybe a dozen chanting women and one or two incidents i saw at uni, it is something that i dont see in the big wide world. But i guess if you are aquatinted with a misandrist and you cross the (undefined) line the backlash will hit you right where it hurts.

As to can it be broken? Get rid of misogyny and misandry will follow.

We are equal partners in this world, without either male or female this ball of rock would be populated by bacteria.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just curious what causes misandry in women, who seem to hate men for some reason. Does anyone think that this condition is caused by male abuse towards females at a young age? Are there ways to get around it, so that women can learn to not hate men, especially masculine men? And finally, is misogynism a reaction to misandry?

Can the cycle be broken? Or is the damage permanent?

I've encountered some women who say they hate men, although from getting to know them, they don't hate *all* men. They only hate the men who are jerks or abusive or just generally unpleasant people.

I can see where they're coming from. I'm a man, and I know a lot of men who are definitely jerks, abusive, and/or just generally unpleasant people. But being a man, I don't usually have to put up with any crap from these kinds of guys. But for the most part, these guys don't want anything from me.

Once in a while, I've had to deal with an aggressive panhandler, but I usually give off a kind of gruff, mean exterior which usually puts most people off. Plus, I'm kind of big, and in my prime, I was much stronger. So, they don't get that pushy with me.

I can only imagine what it must be like for women - not so much with aggressive panhandlers, but with the same kind of persistence from guys who want more than just the change in their pocket.