• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Duggar: Overpopulation Is a Lie

work in progress

There can't be too many kids, says ' 19 Kids and Counting' mom

Americans especially, will recognize the name. This is the woman who starts in the reality show - 19 And Counting, and is trying to have her 20th child, and had a miscarriage from the last attempt, and will likely die in childbirth before she gives up.

Her brilliant argument that 7 billion people is still not enough:

"The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville,"
Maybe she's not aware that everybody who wants to stay alive has to eat! And providing food for 7 billion people takes land...arable land to be exact, fresh water, oil-based chemical fertilizers with nitrates and phosphates also, so even if we could all fit in to Jacksonville...which ever one she's talking about...our land and environment needs are much much bigger than the actual space we take up when we are standing. It would be one thing if she, and her young-earth creationist ....be fruitful and multiply husband were the only ones who've tried to make such a silly argument for exponential population growth, but unfortunately there are others, and there is an even greater number who just ignore the problem that our present world population is already unsustainable, even if we somehow managed to stop the exponential increases in our energy, water and resource use.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I can honestly say I have met the woman and her husband. (I used to live in Springdale, AR)
I have never been impressed with the intelligence of either of them.

work in progress

I can honestly say I have met the woman and her husband. (I used to live in Springdale, AR)
I have never been impressed with the intelligence of either of them.
Her husband comes across as a dullard on TV from what I've seen....especially the visit to the Creation Museum in Kentucky...man that was embarrassing....and what a way to educate so many children!

I don't want to say anything mean about them or their children though; they seem like real nice people....certainly a damn sight better than that John & Kate + 8 family....that was a real televised trainwreck! I just hope the rumours about the children's bad behaviour are mostly exaggerated.

Dezzie

They need to seriously stop having babies... their 19th child was premature and their 20th was a miscarriage. I think it is time they've had enough.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Doesn't come across as the smartest, but dumb people can be right sometimes.

I think over consumption, greed, selfishness are far more true then overpopulation.

Shermana

Heretic

Americans especially, will recognize the name. This is the woman who starts in the reality show - 19 And Counting, and is trying to have her 20th child, and had a miscarriage from the last attempt, and will likely die in childbirth before she gives up.

"The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville,"
Maybe she's not aware that everybody who wants to stay alive has to eat! And providing food for 7 billion people takes land...arable land to be exact, fresh water, oil-based chemical fertilizers with nitrates and phosphates also, so even if we could all fit in to Jacksonville...which ever one she's talking about...our land and environment needs are much much bigger than the actual space we take up when we are standing. It would be one thing if she, and her young-earth creationist ....be fruitful and multiply husband were the only ones who've tried to make such a silly argument for exponential population growth, but unfortunately there are others, and there is an even greater number who just ignore the problem that our present world population is already unsustainable, even if we somehow managed to stop the exponential increases in our energy, water and resource use.

The problem isn't the availability, you could feed the entire world from Zimbabwe and Kansas's and Poland's ample grain bounties, the problem is management, chemicals and fertilizers that destroy the soil, and umm, yeah management, did I mention management? You'd be sickened at how much food Groceries and restaraunts throw away. Zimbabwe is considered to have enough fertile land to feed all of Africa alone at its current levels, then there's Uganda which also has some of the most fertile land on Earth. Most of the food potential worldwide is untapped. Poland and Ukraine have insane potentials of wheat. Especially if people stopped eating as much livestock. Peak grain is a total myth. What there is, is "peak grain under inefficient management." As for the chemical fertilizers which reduce total future output potentials, those are actually not necessary,

As for electricity and fuel, the methods are there, there's Algae fuel, there's Hemp fuel, there's trillions of barrels of untapped oil in the oceans and various places on the ground, it's not impossible, it's just highly difficult with corporate and fascist government interests involved.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
You know, humans aren't the only species that call the Earth home. Shouldn't they be left some room and resources as well?

For those who don't think we are overpopulated now, do you think there will ever be a time that we will be? Do you think that we are on an ultimately sustainable path, or do you think that we merely haven't hit the wall yet, and therefore, it's not our problem?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Michelle Duggar aside (I think she and her husband are probably ape **** crazy, but that's their business), you live in Canada, right?

Have you ever been on a plane and looked out the window? I have - many, many times in my life, crossing several continents and many countries around the world.

There's lots of land, lots of resources - plenty to provide for many, many more people.

The key to making it work for everyone is resource management.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The world could probably support several times the present population.
But it is not a good idea for people to have to live like battery hens.

The world would be, and was, a better living space when it only had to support a third of our present population.

We are moving out of the present stable weather conditions, that we have enjoyed for the past 100,000 years or so. It is difficult to calculate what the next phase will be able support. But less rather than more seems a likely good bet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Right or wrong, their beliefs are an unsustainable model in the long run.
Personally, I don't want to see the world populated with slow witted breeders.

shawn001

Michelle Duggar aside (I think she and her husband are probably ape **** crazy, but that's their business), you live in Canada, right?

Have you ever been on a plane and looked out the window? I have - many, many times in my life, crossing several continents and many countries around the world.

There's lots of land, lots of resources - plenty to provide for many, many more people.

Tell me what has acid rain done to almost all of Eastern Canada from the US?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*stretches*

Yup.

So... who wants to help me invent a human genophage (a la Mass Effect) and release it across the globe?

Marble

Rolling Marble
I wonder just how much care & attention you get from your mom/dad when you are one of 19...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh, Kathryn.....don't fall for that old notion that if something is poorly managed now, that just introducing good management will solve the problem.
If it ain't good now, it will never be any better (on average.) With the population we have in the country now, we're over-fishing even the ocean,
we have horrendous soil loss from farming, we're.....you get the picture.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They're one family. If every family has 19 children, there is more to worry about. There are plenty of couples who are childless, so do the math...split the 19 kids amongst 10 childless couples and really there is no difference.

blackout

Violet.
Most couples cannot afford so many children.

If you cannot take care of your own children
then you are overpopulating your community.
(beyond it's ability to fund, provide and support)

Just WHO is it that is supposed to provide for them?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I've heard, human consumption is unsustainable. In practice, that seems to mean either (1) we are consuming resources (such as petroleum) that cannot be replaced and will sooner or later be exhausted, or (2) we are consuming resources (such as many species of fish) faster than they be replaced.

If those things are true (and very few scientists who have studied the matter would say they are not the case), then we are most likely headed for a population collapse at some point. That's to say, our current population levels seem to be dependent on unsustainable consumption.

In theory I guess, everyone on earth could voluntarily cut back to a sustainable level of resource consumption -- and that might solve the problem without a population collapse -- but that's mere theory. In practice, it won't happen. Americans, for instance, are not going to willingly cut back their consumption of the earth's resources.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Most couples cannot afford so many children.
If you cannot take care of your own children
then you are overpopulating your community.
(beyond it's ability to fund, provide and support)
Just WHO is it that is supposed to provide for them?
Aye! They'll be a burden upon us all.
I imagine an oppressive & frightening Duggeresque future.....
[youtube]47P59ha9k9s[/youtube]
every sperm is sacred - YouTube