• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Me Myself

Back to my username
I am ok with man cave or MRA. I dont quite like masculinism s a name anyways, but blah, I dont really care much for the label.

What I would want is a green forum where people can discuss men issues and when I say that I mean men's rights (Though I do not oppose the stereotypical how to repair your car thing :p , I kinda like it. ) and ways they are percieved in society and gender issues from a perspective of interest placed on the men.

I have no interest on this forum to be male only at all. I dont care about the label either, and I wouldnt like people to feel limited about not being able to post in it because of some silly label.

I dont know, thoughts about it from other people?

Me Myself

Back to my username
So you're saying you're in favor of a discussion-only green label area, with the qualifier being that the person must care about men's rights. Is it a political subforum, a social subforum, or somewhere else?

I would think either political or social, I would personally lean on social.

I am interested on hearing what apex, revoltingest and freethinker think about it.

I say green, male rights to be the focus and anyone interested and asvocant of men rights whether male or female to be part of e "in" group with a policy of no debate and just discussion.

That is my stance on the issue. Which is yours?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You know what. I have just been to two separate Men's only Forums(lurking, of course) to see what men talk about and whether they actually bash feminism.
So far, out of the two separate forums, there was only one thread that mentions Feminism at all.

The thread OP was how this guy's girlfriend thought Feminism was stupid and gender roles and all. And yes there were a few that made comments denouncing Feminism(not bashing). However there were more that said those few posters didn't know exactly what they were talking about and that it was wholly possible the OP's girlfriend may have grown up in a sexist household and he needed to sit her down a talk to her about feminism and why she dislikes it.

They both talk about the double standards that exists(men can't get away with what women can and so forth), Men's rights, custodial issues and so forth.
There was one particular thread topic that ****** them off to no end and...well...their filter isn't as good as RF's. But it talked of a woman stating breast milk should only be for girls and not boys so I can kind of understand their anger.

So to say that every MRA forum will delve into a feminist bashing...what was that Revoltinest said?
Something about knuckle-dragging homophobic something or other, is really rather unfair.
I've seen some excellent men's forums.

I'd point out that there's a difference between a men's only forum about all topics, and a political forum about men's rights for which men and women may comment within certain guidelines. The key to getting in the first one is being a man, which for 99% of the population is pretty straightforward to determine whether or not one qualifies. The key to getting into the second one is, well that's what I'm asking here. It's more nuanced.

The Feminist Only area had a poll to gauge interest, and Alceste mentioned something in this thread about the Member's Committee too, then there was another poll within the area once it was created asking what color it should be. So that one had questions about how to make it too.

Alceste

Vagabond
For the feminist DIR, one must be a feminist to post. And smooth sailing for you maybe. :)

Fair enough. :p I acknowledge it was rocky at the start, but not for long, right? Feminism is like crack for angry male internetizens yet to graduate from their short pants. I feel as though RF has built a feminist utopian internet haven with a few simple keystrokes. It's unique and awesome.

As far as the modding is concerned, the secret hard work is much appreciated. :foryou:

Alceste

Vagabond
Yup, that.

OK, what do you think would happen if you raised those issues in "general discussion"? Would every thread spiral into a pointless sniping match where you're ridiculed for bringing it up? Would the majority of such threads linger interminably on whether or not the men lobbying for reform are sexually attractive? Would a significant proportion of contributors crack jokes about needing their transmissions fixed and their garbage taken out? Would you have to counter vapid arguments that the way things are are the way God intended them to be in every single discussion?

If you answered "no" to all these questions, do you actually need a protected sub-forum to properly discuss these problems, or is it possible you could comfortably discuss them pretty much anywhere?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

I am interested on hearing what apex, revoltingest and freethinker think about it.

I say green, male rights to be the focus and anyone interested and asvocant of men rights whether male or female to be part of e "in" group with a policy of no debate and just discussion.

Don't really care where it is put. And the general consensus has been to color it green.

freethinker44

OK, what do you think would happen if you raised those issues in "general discussion"? Would every thread spiral into a pointless sniping match where you're ridiculed for bringing it up? Would the majority of such threads linger interminably on whether or not the men lobbying for reform are sexually attractive? Would a significant proportion of contributors crack jokes about needing their transmissions fixed and their garbage taken out? Would you have to counter vapid arguments that the way things are are the way God intended them to be in every single discussion?

If you answered "no" to all these questions, do you actually need a protected sub-forum to properly discuss these problems, or is it possible you could comfortably discuss them pretty much anywhere?

The same could be said of just about any other DIR. There are non-DIR areas where debate or argument is restricted and any off-topic posts can be reported and deleted so really, there is no reason to have any DIR. If forum rules were followed properly there wouldn't be a perceived need. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing any of those things you listed in a DIR, they are just more likely to get reported in a DIR.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Okay, thank you for clarifying your views.

I haven't been one of the proponents for the men's rights subforum in this thread. My stance is less relevant.

Though, my primary stance is that:

-The OP of this thread who is known publicly by his title to be currently banned, didn't originally specify a clear purpose for the subforum; he just set the poll up as a reactionary, mirror-image type subforum to the Feminist Only area. Since none of these ideas popped up before the Feminist Only area existed, and setting up mirror image subforums for the sake of a mirror image is not necessarily logical, my questions were mainly to try to figure out what people actually want, assuming the Feminist Only area couldn't be used as any sort of template to compare it to, and that this subforum had to be thought up on its own right. To have people think outside of the box and state exactly what they want and why they want it, without thinking about another subforum. This is a pretty big forum; if an idea is presented, there are multiple other ideas to consider that can meet that need, and perhaps better. There are multiple possible names, colors, places, missions, that a subforum could have, if the restriction that it be set up as a mirror image to another subforum is not used as a limit.

You presented your views. As many as can be posted are helpful. If staff and non-staff members are going to look through this thread for ideas, the more clarity the better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"MRA Only" in "The Political World" & colored green.

(Feminists cannot tolerate outsiders, but MRAs are tougher.)

freethinker44

"MRA Only" in "The Political World" & colored green.

(Feminists cannot tolerate outsiders, but MRAs are tougher.)

I agree with this. I don't know about using an acronym for the name though, seems vague. But then again, if you don't know what it means you probably don't belong anyways, so sure.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Interested in improving the lot of males in areas where there are gender based differences.

So you would be okay with anyone posting as an "insider" there as long as they say they are interested in this?

I think you dont see feminism as being conflictive with being MRA , am I correct on thinking this is your stance too?

Alceste

Vagabond
I agree with this. I don't know about using an acronym for the name though, seems vague. But then again, if you don't know what it means you probably don't belong anyways, so sure.

You know, that was exactly the logic that led us to leave the feminist forum purple, exactly like all the other political DIRs have been since the dawn of time. Since then, the sniping and moaning and kvetching about our "exclusivity" has been unrelenting, particularly from certain parties that insist their own personal political DIRs are reserved for others who simply want parrot their own exact opinions back to them.

Just saying, it might seem like it's not rocket science, but for some people, it's bound to be.