• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men and women have different fates

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Ignoring the pleasures of physical existence enables us to rise above it
Do you believe that men cannot ignore the pleasures of physical existence?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
sojourner said:
Am I to assume that the attraction of this religion -- the thrust of this religion -- is to give you focus for this life, and not particularly an afterlife? One betters oneself, not having the goal of eternity in mind?

I think she means that men just rot in the ground while women are reborn or may ascend to the watch-star with Freya.

Burchfam

Mister Emu said:
Do you believe that men cannot ignore the pleasures of physical existence?

I think I would phrase it that men should not ignore the pleasures of physical existence.

Burchfam

Rejected said:
I think she means that men just rot in the ground while women are reborn or may ascend to the watch-star with Freya.

Both men and women end up in the ground. Only a tiny minority of women will hear Frya's call.

vandervalley

Both men and women end up in the ground. Only a tiny minority of women will hear Frya's call.

So if thats the case; then what's the point of being a nice person? I can just do all the nasty things in the universe and in the end I'd be just like some1 who did all the good things in ths universe and end up 'in the ground'

Burchfam

vandervalley said:
So if thats the case; then what's the point of being a nice person? I can just do all the nasty things in the universe and in the end I'd be just like some1 who did all the good things in ths universe and end up 'in the ground'

Being a nice person makes our life on earth better.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Burchfam said:
In Famism we are taught that only women have the inate ability to transend the physical realm if they so choose. I know this must be very controversial, but if the universe really is set up this way then there is nothing that can be done about it. We have to make the most of what we've got.

What utter nonsense. What can be done about it? I guess just ignore any transendental experience by men. Oh wait that's what happens anyway...just ask the wives.

vandervalley

So how does Famism explain the fact that some die of misfortune and hunger while others enjoy riches of the world?

Does "Famist' Godesses control that?

Popeyesays

Why is denial of the flesh and asceticism praisworthy in the first place?

"The word of God which the Supreme Pen hath recorded on the tenth leaf of the Most Exalted Paradise is the following: O people of the earth! Living in seclusion or practising asceticism is not acceptable in the presence of God. It behoveth them that are endued with insight and understanding to observe that which will cause joy and radiance. Such practices as are sprung from the loins of idle fancy or are begotten of the womb of superstition ill beseem men of knowledge. In former times and more recently some people have been taking up their abodes in the caves of the mountains while others have repaired to graveyards at night. Say, give ear unto the counsels of this Wronged One. Abandon the things current amongst you and adopt that which the faithful Counsellor biddeth you. Deprive not yourselves of the bounties which have been created for your sake."
(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 70)

A Marriage Prayer:
He is God!
O peerless Lord! In Thine almighty wisdom Thou hast enjoined marriage upon the peoples, 105 that the generations of men may succeed one another in this contingent world, and that ever, so long as the world shall last, they may busy themselves at the Threshold of Thy oneness with servitude and worship, with salutation, adoration and praise. "I have not created spirits and men, but that they should worship me."[1] Wherefore, wed Thou in the heaven of Thy mercy these two birds of the nest of Thy love, and make them the means of attracting perpetual grace; that from the union of these two seas of love a wave of tenderness may surge and cast the pearls of pure and goodly issue on the shore of life. "He hath let loose the two seas, that they meet each other: Between them is a barrier which they overpass not. Which then of the bounties of your Lord will ye deny? From each He bringeth up greater and lesser pearls."[2]
[1. Qur'án 51:56
[2. Qur'án 55:19-20
O Thou kind Lord! Make Thou this marriage to bring forth coral and pearls. Thou art verily the All-Powerful, the Most Great, the Ever-Forgiving.
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá 106
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 104)

Popeyesays

Famism seemed to have come to the same end as Albigensianism. It's funny how the internet can revive things long dead.

Regards,
Scott

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Being a nice person makes our life on earth better.
That depends. I know some people who have lived a good part of thier life as hitmen, drug dealers, and have been in trouble with the cops many, many times. (They have ties in higher places so it's never more than a trip to jail and a quick release as soon as they're there.) They have no regrets about thier life.

Burchfam

vandervalley said:
So how does Famism explain the fact that some die of misfortune and hunger while others enjoy riches of the world?

Does "Famist' Godesses control that?

The Oera Linda Book describes a society in which the weak and poor are cared for.

Popeyesays

Burchfam said:
By denying the flesh we rise above it.

You cannot rise above the flesh in this existence. If I stop eating I will die. Then I will 'rise above the flesh' because the flesh will be immaterial to my existence.

Marriage and faithfulness, to me, are necessary for chastity. If I do not marry, I will never have the opportunity to raise up another human being to worship God after me.

In neither case am I fulfilling the will of God with my choices.

Have I ever broken chastity in my life, or eaten more than is necessary? Well, life and the fulfillment of God's Will are not single instances, they are a process. I believe the process requires me to live until God wills I die and to raise up another generation to follow me.

If I cannot draw sustenance from the food, or create a child, then that is God's will as well, and only God can judge how well I have fulfilled that Divine Will.

Denying the flesh in this life, is not the will of God. Being so attached to the call of the flesh that I ignore the call of the Spirit is also to deny the will of God.

Prejudice is repugnant to me, a religion that demands that only one gender can be spiritual is prejudiced, just like a religion that demands only one skin color can be spiritual.

Regards,
Scott

Regards,
Scott