• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men and women have different fates

Burchfam

In Famism we are taught that only women have the inate ability to transend the physical realm if they so choose. I know this must be very controversial, but if the universe really is set up this way then there is nothing that can be done about it. We have to make the most of what we've got.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Burchfam said:
Ignoring the pleasures of physical existence enables us to rise above it.

So, you don't believe that any man has the ability to rise above the pleasures of physical existence ? I have never heard of that Idea before; do you have a kink to a site that explains your basic beliefs ?:)

Burchfam

michel said:
So, you don't believe that any man has the ability to rise above the pleasures of physical existence ? I have never heard of that Idea before; do you have a kink to a site that explains your basic beliefs ?:)

I suppose men are just built differently. Perhaps they really don't have that ability and that is just part of how they are. The link to my site is just here, below.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Burchfam said:
I suppose men are just built differently. Perhaps they really don't have that ability and that is just part of how they are. The link to my site is just here, below.

Wait a minute. First you make a statement that I’m sure is at least on some level insulting to all men who follow a spiritual path. Even if you didn't mean to, what you are saying is "You're wasting your time. Don't bother."

Then you can't even back it up with any scriptural references? Just "I guess they're built different." This doesn’t really help the validity or credibility of your faith.

BTW, most religious scolars who have researched your book beleive it to be a complete hoax.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oera_Linda

Burchfam

Rejected said:
Wait a minute. First you make a statement that I’m sure is at least on some level insulting to all men who follow a spiritual path. Even if you didn't mean to, what you are saying is "You're wasting your time. Don't bother."

Then you can't even back it up with any scriptural references? Just "I guess they're built different." This doesn’t really help the validity or credibility of your faith.

BTW, most religious scolars who have researched your book beleive it to be a complete hoax.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oera_Linda

Well I certainly didn't want to be insulting, I merely posed a question for debate. I'm also fully aware that the Oera Linda Book is rejected by scholars, it even says so on my website.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Burchfam said:
Well I certainly didn't want to be insulting, I merely posed a question for debate. I'm also fully aware that the Oera Linda Book is rejected by scholars, it even says so on my website.

I must admit to finding your beliefs a little "unusual"; I expect there was a need (primarily to allow women to become more emancipated), which gave rise to this belief. But, hey, if that's what you believe, who am I to argue ?

Burchfam

michel said:
I must admit to finding your beliefs a little "unusual"; I expect there was a need (primarily to allow women to become more emancipated), which gave rise to this belief. But, hey, if that's what you believe, who am I to argue ?

We have to follow our path.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Burchfam said:

Your site is blocked by my proxy servers, but my questions are these:

1. How do you justify the authenticity of the material, when people who have studied comparative religion all their lives, and with significant funding for research, believe it to be a fake?

2. How can you claim to be a strict and devoted adherent to this faith when you can not A) provide scriptural reference to a central theme (than only women are capable of "transcending") or B) demonstrate your understanding of the faith by giving us something a little more subsatntial than "I guess they're built different?"

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Is this a theological branch of Christianity, or is it a branch of some other religion? Or is it completely something else?

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Burchfam said:
Well I certainly didn't want to be insulting...

Well you certainly should have realised it was.

Do you not find it insulting (on atleast some level) that women can not be priests in some beliefs?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
sojourner said:
Is this a theological branch of Christianity, or is it a branch of some other religion? Or is it completely something else?

Something completely different.

Burchfam

Rejected said:
Your site is blocked by my proxy servers, but my questions are these:

1. How do you justify the authenticity of the material, when people who have studied comparative religion all their lives, and with significant funding for research, believe it to be a fake?

2. How can you claim to be a strict and devoted adherent to this faith when you can not A) provide scriptural reference to a central theme (than only women are capable of "transcending") or B) demonstrate your understanding of the faith by giving us something a little more subsatntial than "I guess they're built different?"

I'm sorry to hear you can't access my site. This is what it says (I can even post the entire Oera Linda Book here if you want, but it is 40,000 words long). The authenticity of the book is proven by its results.

Famism (făm’ĭz'әm)

Famism is a women’s religious movement founded in 1848 by Aafje Meijlof, née Over de Linden (b. 13 May 1798, d. 4 February 1849), at Enkhuizen in the Netherlands.

The goal of Famism is the empowerment of women and their liberation from male dominance. This is achieved through strict sexual abstinence and strenuous physical exercise. Famists are also required to avoid drugs of any kind, and to wear a distinctive woollen uniform at all times, notable in the 1840s for the shortness of its skirt; this was intended to symbolise innocence and purity, but drew inevitable accusations of licentiousness and impropriety.

In August 1848 Meijlof produced a volume of writings in the Frisian language called the Oera Linda Book, describing the beliefs and practices of Famism. She asserted that the manuscript dated from the thirteenth century and was based on even older works, but most academics rejected such claims out of hand. It was translated into Dutch in 1872, and English in 1876.

The religious beliefs outlined in the Oera Linda Book include elements of both monotheism and paganism, and have a number of distinct parallels with Classical and Norse mythology. The book tells of three original mothers of the human race named Lyda, Finda, and Frya, daughters of the supreme deity Wr-alda and Irtha, the earth. The youngest of these, Frya, gathered her descendants together in 2194 BC and issued them with a set of laws and teachings, before ascending to the heavens during a conflagration of nature; the same cataclysm that destroyed Atlantis (referred to in the book as Atland). Jesus is also mentioned, albeit briefly, in the Oera Linda Book, and is equated with both Krishna and Buddha, but he does not play a major role because the saviour-figure is Frya herself. The book has many sections describing the ancient history of the Frisians, who are said to have been ruled over by an order of celibate priestesses known as famna (singular fam) in Frisian. Nearly a third of the book is taken up with detailed rules and regulations covering many aspects of life, both for the Frisians in general and the priestesses in particular. In addition to lifelong sexual abstinence (on pain of being buried alive), the priestesses were also required to bend their knees in devotion to Wr-alda 1,200 times each day (in two shifts lasting three hours each), in front of a sacred, eternally burning flame, whilst chanting Wr-alda t-anfang t-bijin (“Wr-alda, the Origin, the Beginning”). The uniform of the priestesses (pictured) is also described in great detail.

Burchfam

sojourner said:

Something completely different (though Jesus is mentioned in our scriptures briefly).

Burchfam

Pardus said:
Well you certainly should have realised it was.

Do you not find it insulting (on atleast some level) that women can not be priests in some beliefs?

Yes, and Famism exists as a counter-measure to that.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
Burchfam said:
I'm sorry to hear you can't access my site. This is what it says (I can even post the entire Oera Linda Book here if you want, but it is 40,000 words long). The authenticity of the book is proven by its results.

And what would those results be?

I read a brief overview of your faith before I posted, but thanks again for the info.

You still haven't answered my questions though.

Why can't men attain spiritual enlightenment?