• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation for thos with little concentration

Antibush5

I am a guy who finds it very hard to concentrate for even 10 minutes on something, how would you suggest I meditate?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's worthwhile, absolutely. The problem is DOING it.

I think I know where Antibush is coming from. I stopped meditating because I was so scatterbrained that I just couldn't. I couldn't even really read, my focus was so shot. This was very hard on me.

In my case, the problem was corrected by altering a particular medication's dosage. At least, I can read again. Haven't tried meditating yet.

kaisersose

It hard to motivate myself to meditate. Its not exactly "fun"

Then, why bother?

Unless you have a clear goal to be achieved by meditation and unless this goal is important enough to take pains, there is no point in doing it. You will be just fine.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It hard to motivate myself to meditate. Its not exactly "fun"

Neither is brushing your teeth.

I tell my students to start with one-minute meditation, just to let people relax and to show that it shouldn't be so discouraging. :)

That's me, though. I've found that a LOT of people are waaaaayyyyyy too hard on themselves when it comes to meditation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Different strokes for different folks....Try this.

Picture yourself sitting on a golden sphere. Diameter to match your height.

Ask yourself...are you moving?...no reference...not sure.

Picture another sphere before you...the distance at your discretion.
Are you moving?...insufficient reference.

How many directions of movement can there be...and yet not sure?

Add more spheres...and keep doing it.
Ask the same questions...and press forward.

Meditation is not always....an empty headed effort.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Practise makes perfect.

You can try mantras, concentrating on breathing, or visualising - there's many things you could do. :)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Antibush,

Meditation for thos with little concentration
The state of *meditation* is actually only when the thoughts have *STILLED*.
If one is able to be in such a state for 10 mins must say the individual is truly into IT.
From here on its only PRACTICE!
But if such a state has not been reached then it is only a preparation towards IT and not meditation in reality.
Suggest Tai-chi or hath yoga to bring about awareness which are also methods/ways to reach the state of meditation or still mind.

Best Wishes!
Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, the others here know so much more than I, but if you want my two cents.

If you can only concentrate for 10 minutes, then meditate for nine minutes. :)
It's like learning to ride a bike. Soon you will find you have done it for 11 minutes.

Oh, and by the way, meditation is far more fun than most here would admit to.
If they say it isn't fun, I'd suggest they are doing something very wrong.
It certainly keeps me amused.

As Thief suggested, you get out of it what you put into it.

Last edited:
I am a guy who finds it very hard to concentrate for even 10 minutes on something, how would you suggest I meditate?

If I were you I wouldnt listen to the other harsh and unhelpful comments about meditation.

Meditation is very hard in the beginning. The whole day you are unmindful of your thought sequences and then when you sit you become aware of them and they are going so fast it just caused stress and then the struggle for steady concentration begins. All of that is stressful. I would not suggest that you still or stop your thoughts just yet. What I would say is direct them, dicipline them. A diciplined thought sequece or process is very condective to the elimination of suffering Buddha says.

To do this you may want to practice whats called Metta (loving kindness) Bhavana (Cultivation). First you visualize yourself looking into a mirror and see yourself smiling, this will bring up happiness. You can also smile too because just smiling can create the endorphins going that will create the feeling of happiness. Then you can picture your worst enemies and look at them with equinimity and kindness. then picture people who you are neutral too and look at them with the same equinimity and kindness. Then picture loved one's and picture them too with the same equinimity and kindness. This will cutivate Loving Kindness or Metta to all people whether they are good to you or not.

If you see yourself veering away or concentration is broke, think for a second on how good it is to cultivate kindness and that will make your thoughts go back to the practice of Metta Bhavana. After you become good at this there are many other meditations you can do. Also, the length of time is not really a big problem, the fact you are doing it at all is very good. But whats important is doing it consistantly at least once a day.

BTW, you dont have little concentration. You have the exact capabilities within your mind as everyone else does. You just need to bring them to the surface!

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
Sorry if this is intrusive; I know it's the Hinduism DIR but I hope the principles carry across.

Two easy ways to start. First, don't struggle to clear your mind. It's like trying not to think of a pink elephant.

a) Just sit still for a few minutes and observe your thoughts. Don't worry about what you're thinking about or not thinking about, but observe the process. It doesn't matter what you think about; the important thing is to pull back a bit and observe. Or:

b) Count your breaths. Don't try to breathe any special way. Just count as you inhale and exhale.

If all you can manage is nine minutes or five minutes or two minutes, that's fine. If you struggle to reach some arbitrary goal, it can turn meditation into a dreaded chore. Better two minutes five times a day, every day, than half an hour one time and then you never want to do it again.

Smoke

Done here.
Practise makes perfect.

You can try mantras, concentrating on breathing, or visualising - there's many things you could do. :)

There are all kinds of Hindu and Buddhist mantras on YouTube. Here are some Ganesha videos I like:

[youtube]2baE50DgMLk[/youtube]
YouTube - Ganesh Mantra - Obstacle Breaker (108 Repetitions) STROBE

[youtube]-JHkJB5g0P0[/youtube]
YouTube - Ganesha Om Gan Ganapatye Namo Namah Mantra GO TO WWW.GANAPATIMANTRA.COM

[youtube]79qWATj-bz4[/youtube]
YouTube - Om Gann Ganapataye Namoh Namaha

Smoke

Done here.
Oh, and by the way, meditation is far more fun than most here would admit to.
If they say it isn't fun, I'd suggest they are doing something very wrong.
It certainly keeps me amused.

I agree. It's way better than television. :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
When you meditate you have to not try. Trying to meditate will get you nowhere. You do not try, you let go of all action, of all perceptions of doing anything. You close your eyes in the lotus position or lying down on a couch and listen to your breaths. Breath in, focus in breathing in. Breath out, focus on breathing out. Rinse and repeat. Mantras may be useful. When I first started I sometimes used mantras.