• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medieval Metaphysical Considerations in Modern Science

sealchan

For instance is mathematics deeply applicable to reality itself or is it really just a means, a language, that allows us to manipulate a reality that we really dont understand?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
For instance is mathematics deeply applicable to reality itself or is it really just a means, a language, that allows us to manipulate a reality that we really dont understand?

Science and mathematics is our best understanding of reality. For that which we don't understand, religion and imagination comes into play.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Science and mathematics is our best understanding of reality. For that which we don't understand, religion and imagination comes into play.
Can you list the things that are best described by religion; I can't think of any.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Came across this article from Science News in my Facebook feed...

The medieval mentality of modern science

Glad to discuss...
I don't buy the suggestion that science has a "mediaeval mentality". The unresolved issues he mentions belong to metaphysics or philosophy and are probably timeless, rather than mediaeval. In fact he mentions ideas that preoccupied the ancient Greeks, who certainly were not mediaeval.

I can't really see any useful sense in which the way science approaches the world can be said to be mediaeval. What would that mean? The main intellectual approach of the Middle Ages, surely, was Scholasticism, which was rooted in study of ancient philosophy and Christian theology and theorising from these foundations. Essentially it was all about reading books. The distinguishing hallmark of natural science, on the other hand, is empiricism: reliance on observation of nature to discriminate between hypotheses.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Can you list the things that are best described by religion; I can't think of any.

Science has no answer, outside of the magical "it just happened" to why the universe exists. This is like a magic wand being waved with no waver in sight, just the wand.

Science cannot penetrate beyond ordinary matter. Religion/spirituality offers not only a vision of what lies beyond but in some cases a roadmap for experiencing that which people can follow.

This later does share characteristics with scientific experiments. The difference is that the focus in inward. The postulate is that there is something beyond ordinary matter. The experiments that people can do are called the spiritual path. The prediction is that at least some who do this will reproduce the results reported by luminous figures of the past such as St. Francis, Rumi, Hafiz, Ramakrishna and many others.

David T

Premium Member
"Can you list the things that are best described by religion"
Love... Saddness, guilt, loss, joy...

Hmmmm the above are also served by music, story, and many arts..

Not all religious people Pretend they are doing science religiously such as creationism, intelligent design etc. Thats actually not religion at all. Thats Like talking about big foot believing its science. I think that should make sense to someone who knows the difference between bigfoot and science.

David T

Premium Member
Yes its self evident that its language in application to nature not " it" is determining nature. Although it is accurate but so is my 3d characters in my computer. Not real accurate