• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage Equality: Oh the times, they are a cha-angin'

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
On Friday, Iowa State Supreme Court ruled that marriage equality is a constitutional right making it the third state in the Union to legalize same-sex marriages after Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Today, the Vermont House of Representatives voted to override the governor's veto (as had the Senate already), making Vermont the first state in the Union to recognize the right to marriage equality via the legislature (as opposed to the courts).

And also today, the District of Columbia Council voted unanimously to recognize the legal status of same-sex marriages from other states.
Council Votes to Accept Other States' Gay Marriages - D.C. Wire -

Oh the times, they are a cha-angin' :jam:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
It's like they looked at California and said "Well, this is stupid!"
Pretty much, yep. I am embarrassed for my home state but if Cali served as an anti-lesson to the rest of the nation, well at least something good came out of all that heartache.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I was primarily referring to the Iowa Supreme Court,
Which is why, even tho I'm happy about Iowa, I'm much happier about Vermont. Cali's Supreme Court ruled similarly and that led to the heartbreak of prop 8. But Vermont's legislature has pretty much put this out of reach for groups opposed to marriage equality.

Smoke

Done here.
Obviously, I'm very happy about these recent developments. But cautiously so. There are still people with deep pockets who will try to get them reversed. And for all the talk about repealing DOMA, I don't think anybody's looking for any sign of action on that front anytime soon.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is wonderful! You're right, Bill, that this doesn't guarantee anything, but I think this just goes to show that it's time. We all know this is going to happen sooner or later. So, those people with deep pockets might be able to stem the tide a bit, but I can't imagine it'll last much longer.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Obviously, I'm very happy about these recent developments. But cautiously so. There are still people with deep pockets who will try to get them reversed. And for all the talk about repealing DOMA, I don't think anybody's looking for any sign of action on that front anytime soon.
Understood. It's just that I was so surprised that Vermont's House managed to overturn the governor's veto. The bill only passed the House with 95 yes votes and they needed 100 to overturn the veto. I thought, if anything, there might be people who would defect - who would be willing to vote for it in the first place but not to override the governor. Do you know whether people actually changed their votes? Or was it the case of Reps voting yes who had not made it to the previous vote? I'm so curious. And so elatedly surprised. It makes me think that big things are possible that we thought were out of reach.

(Please don't burst my bubble if you interpret things otherwise; I need some good news, if just for today.)

Btw, I posted prematurely about DC. I forgot that unlike other American citizens, us folks living in DC cannot govern ourselves, so even if our elected officials decide unanimously to recognize marriages from out of state, it still must be approved by Congress. :sarcastic This will be an interesting test... if Congress overturns the DC Council's vote, it will make the call for DC statehood all the louder including people from outside the district who will then see how ridiculous the situation is. So one way or another we will be closer to justice.