• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Many Paths To God"?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Each commandment is an opportunity or path to God.

I believe you need to explain how that works.
How it works is very complicated. Please see the below link and excerpts .

Mitzvot

"In the Torah there are 613 Mitzvot, and in this chapter we shall take a closer look at the nature of the Mitzvot and their utility as a benefit to man, as a tool to refine the creation, and a medium to connect man to G‑d."

"Although Torah and Mitzvot have been given for the benefit of Man and the refining of the Creation, there is an infinitely greater quality with which G‑d has endowed the Mitzvot. This is the quality of uniting Man with G‑d, for by giving Man a set of Mitzvot to carry out in his daily life, G‑d has made it possible for Man to thereby attach himself to his Creator and transcend the limitations of time and space."

"Each Mitzvah evokes a particular response commensurate with that commandment. When we give to charity, G‑d stretches forth His hand to bestow kindness upon the world. When we look compassionately at the less fortunate, He looks compassionately at us and the world around us. In fact, whatever G‑d commands us to do in the Torah, He does Himself. A similar Divine reaction is evoked when we abstain from prohibited acts. For example, when a person suppresses his urge to gossip, the forces of evil are subdued. Even the smallest subjugation of the Sitra Achra causes a great diffusion of Divine Light in all the worlds.

The Divine Light one draws upon oneself through fulfillment of Mitzvot is called the Shechinah. When one studies Torah, his soul and the two inner garments of speech and thought are absorbed within the Divine Light, causing the Shechinah to rest upon his Divine soul. But in order for the Shechinah to rest upon his body and Nefesh HaBehamit, to fulfill the purpose of Dirah BeTachtonim, it is necessary to fulfill the practical Mitzvot performed by the body itself in deed. In this way the actual power of the body engaged in this act is absorbed into the Divine Light and will and unites with Him in perfect unity. As previously mentioned, this explains why Mitzvah performance takes priority over learning Torah if the commandment cannot be done by anyone else."

"The deepest level of Mitzvah performance is not so much to cleave to G‑d and emulate His ways, which is a natural desire of the Nefesh Elokit, but is rather the act of total connection with the Divine will itself."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe it is the path that Jesus provides: "I am the way the truth and the life."
Almost all religions say much the same, thus beliefs are just that-- beliefs, not necessarily facts.

As for myself, it's too much like the "not a true Scotsman" kind of argument. IOW, I'll let the Boss figgur this out.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I believe it is the path that Jesus provides: "I am the way the truth and the life."
I believe it is the path that Jesus shows: "I am the way the truth and the life"

Emphasis on God, not on 'the way'

God, yet to be defined

stvdv

I believe it does not matter because there is only one path to salvation.
You mean LOVE, as this is the Greatest Commandment, I guess, right? As in "Love they neighbor as thyself."

capumetu

First of all, I really don't much get into the "true religion" debate since there simply is not enough evidence one way or the other. Secondly, I really don't feel qualified to supposedly speak for God.

What I do know is that humankind has had religious beliefs going back to even hundreds of thousands of years b.p. with what we now know about at least some Homo Erectus, and every single society since written history has had most of its population professing a religious belief of some kind. This leads me to believe that this search for God is in some way within us, possibly like the "Inner Light" that the Society of Friends ("Quakers") believe, which is comparable to "soul" in other denominations. IMO, it's there, but we need to tap into it.

Also, as some know here, I went through two years of "premonitions" (I prefer "spiritual connections") that led me back to Christianity and Catholicism, and I believe that was caused by God's Spirit because nothing else makes sense. Also, we should remember that the Holy Spirit was involved in the early Church even prior to the Gospels being written.

When I put the above all together, what strikes me as being likely is that this same Spirit has encouraged religious beliefs historically, thus urging us to believe in God or Gods. However, with that being said, I tend to believe that this basic human, but Divinely inspired imo, "drive" is best said through what Jesus taught with his Two Commandments, namely the love of God and of our neighbor. It's a simple message but a very potent one. And, to finish this off, all the major religions at least teach this love even though some of the applications of agape can vary.

The thing is sir, God has had a covenanted group of people since the Law covenant. If you believe the Bible is His inspired word, then you are way ahead, as He identifies the path He wants His people to take. Here are 10 Scriptural identifications to identify His people beyond a reasonable doubt:
10 ways to identify the one faith
One faith Eph 4:5

1. The one faith would worship the God Jehovah exclusively. (Matthew 4:10) Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to Him alone you must render sacred service.’” (It was written at Deut 6:13).

2. The one faith will not participate in war. Paul stated: (2 Corinthians 10:3) . . .For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. . .

3. The one faith approaches Jehovah through Jesus, Paul said:
(1 Timothy 2:5) . . .For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus. . .Jesus said: (John 14:6) . . .Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . .

4. Jesus said the one faith would be known by the love of its adherents:
(John 13:34, 35) . . .I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves. . .
It’s adherents would imitate Jesus,
Peter said: (1 Peter 2:21) . . .to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely. . .

5. The one faith will preach the good news of the Kingdom of God, as mankind’s only hope, not a worldly government, Jesus stated:
(John 18:36) . . .“My Kingdom is no part of this world. . . .
He told us to: (Matthew 6:33) 33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.
Jesus stated the main reason he came to earth: (Luke 4:43) . . .“I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God to other cities, because for this I was sent.”
He assigned his followers to: (Matthew 28:19) . . .Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations,. . ., 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.

6. The one faith accepts the Bible as the inspired message of God, Paul said:
(2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God. . .

7. The one faith would appear to be formed in the last days, it’s adherents would be highly educated through instruction, and would live the teachings in their lives: Isaiah wrote: (Isaiah 2:2, 3) . . .In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established . . .And to it all the nations will stream. 3 And many peoples will go and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, To the house of the God of Jacob. He will instruct us about his ways, And we will walk in his paths.

8. The one faith would not set men on high, with religious titles, Jesus said: (Matthew 23:8-10) 8 But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.

9. The one faith does not allow unrepentant sinners to remain among them,
Paul stated: (1 Corinthians 5:11-13) . . .I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. . .“Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

10. The one faith does not practice interfaith with other “Christian” faiths. All teach the same thing, and have the same line of thought: (2 Cor 6:14) For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?
(Phil 2:2) make my joy full by being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having the one thought in mind.
(1 Corinthians 1:10) Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.
Jesus said: (John 17:20) . . .“I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word. . .in order that they may be one just as we are one.

I hope that helps you Metus.

metis

The thing is sir, God has had a covenanted group of people since the Law covenant. If you believe the Bible is His inspired word, then you are way ahead, as He identifies the path He wants His people to take. Here are 10 Scriptural identifications to identify His people beyond a reasonable doubt:
10 ways to identify the one faith
One faith Eph 4:5
That's all fine & dandy if one shuts their eyes and their brains and fails to realize that they're parroting subjective teachings, not objective ones.

As a scientist, I'm far more interested in the latter when it comes to objective evidence, thus not subjective hearsay. The concept that one needs to blindly believe in the Bible and nothing else is nonsensical because it is so utterly illogical when one looks at this objectively.

Jesus was born just under 2000 years ago and lived in one small area of the world, so are we to assume that God didn't care about all previous humans or any humans that lived in distant lands? How does that make any sense whatsoever?

I hope that helps you Metus.
Maybe be less patronizing and more thoughtful as I have taught both Christian theology and a comparative religions course for many years. You have not posted a single teaching that I have not seen before.

So, maybe check out other churches and maybe read their materials-- except that your Governing Body won't let you. And this is why they don't want you to have a college education, thus doing what the slave masters did to keep their slaves ignorant because they're far easier to manipulate and control.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus was born just under 2000 years ago and lived in one small area of the world, so are we to assume that God didn't care about all previous humans or any humans that lived in distant lands? How does that make any sense whatsoever?
Or that God does not care about the 71% of people who are not Christians.....
How much sense does that make?

It makes more sense to be that God cares about everybody, and that is why God reveals Himself in every age, with a message that is pertinent to the age in which humans are living. Jesus said there was more to be revealed in the future, what humanity could not bear to hear because they were not ready to hear that message 2000 years ago.

I know that Christians believe that the following verses refer to the Holy Spirit that was sent at Pentecost, the Holy Spirit they believe lives inside of them, but that makes no logical sense because the Holy Spirit living inside of them is not guiding them to all truth or teaching them all things, so obviously the Spirit of truth and the Comforter refer to another man who would come and complete the work Jesus started, a man who would bring the Holy Spirit again...

John 16:12-13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I believe that the Holy Spirit was sent by God on the Day of Pentecost because that is in the Bible...

Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

But that does not mean that the verses in John 14, John 15 and John 16 are referring to the Day of Pentecost. There is no logical reason to think that these verses in John that refer to the Holy Spirit are referring to the Day of Pentecost, but that came to be a Church teaching, so Christians just accepted it and believe it to this very day.

The problem with the Christian belief that the Holy Spirit was sent once and for all time on the Day of Pentecost is that right in that same chapter, we have this account that says that God will send the Holy Spirit again in the last days. The last days are when Christ promised to return and fulfill the prophecies below
(Matthew 24:29-30, Mark 13:24-26, Revelation 6:12-13).

Acts 2:17-21 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:17-21 fits together perfectly with the following verses in John where Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit from the Father.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

capumetu

That's all fine & dandy if one shuts their eyes and their brains and fails to realize that they're parroting subjective teachings, not objective ones.

As a scientist, I'm far more interested in the latter when it comes to objective evidence, thus not subjective hearsay. The concept that one needs to blindly believe in the Bible and nothing else is nonsensical because it is so utterly illogical when one looks at this objectively.

Maybe be less patronizing and more thoughtful as I have taught both Christian theology and a comparative religions course for many years. You have not posted a single teaching that I have not seen before.

So, maybe check out other churches and maybe read their materials-- except that your Governing Body won't let you. And this is why they don't want you to have a college education, thus doing what the slave masters did to keep their slaves ignorant because they're far easier to manipulate and control.

I can only say sir, that God either exists or He don't. He either has a people or He don't. You have made your choice as have I, but I would ask, what does God require of you that you feel is so God awful that you are willing to sacrifice your everlasting life for it?

metis

I can only say sir, that God either exists or He don't. He either has a people or He don't
I've clarified this several times.

You have made your choice as have I, but I would ask, what does God require of you that you feel is so God awful that you are willing to sacrifice your everlasting life for it?
Again, the above is just more bigoted judgmentalism from you, which Jesus told you not to do according to the Gospel. Maybe get over yourself and realize that you are not the Judge-- God is according to the scriptures you claim you believe in.

I do believe in God for reasons already stated, and I do believe in Jesus for reasons already stated, and yet you have me condemned by God. As long as you swallow the swill your Governing Body has brainwashed you to drink, you simply will continue to defy the scriptures you claim to believe in.

At least my two sets of neighbors decided to open their eyes and leave the JW's, and they don't have much nice to say about their own culpability within that cult. Maybe it's time for you to start looking at this objectively instead of being a blind follower because you're being "played" by the GB.

Anyhow, this "conversation" is the same ole/same ole, thus I'll let you have the last word with no response from me.

Take care, and I hope you think about this carefully because you are being misled, and in more ways than one.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Near as I can tell, from what I've heard from the religions I've listened to , the only "path to God," (meaning the path that gets you to meet God) is death.
Either you've been mishearing, or the messages themselves are muddled. God is found in life, not death.

sojourner

No sir, God has always had one group of people. We became a nation when we accepted the law covenant shortly after God delivered us from Egypt. It was at that point we became His nation. He still has one group of people today, under a new covenant that was enacted shortly after Jesus returned to heaven. Eph 4:5 says there is one faith, and John 4:24 states that those who worship God must do so with spirit and truth. There are not multiple sets of truth. The Bible identifies the true faith beyond any doubt.
And the explanation of your “logic” that the post asked for?

sojourner

Without a base Metis, there is only opinion. We believe the Bible is God's word. It sets the standard, and all beliefs must harmonize with it. If they do not, then they are obviously simply beliefs.
Upon what objective, empirical evidence do you derive this “standard?”

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I can only say sir, that God either exists or He don't. He either has a people or He don't. You have made your choice as have I, but I would ask, what does God require of you that you feel is so God awful that you are willing to sacrifice your everlasting life for it?
There's not a lot of good sense to be made out of what you've written here. First, you admit (as we all must) that either God exists or doesn't. But you then go on to state that you have "made your choice," but how does YOUR choice have anything at all to do with whether God exists or not? Your choice is nothing but a matter of belief on the question, which you admit may not be shared by others.

And then you go further, by implying that @metis must also believe as you do (which he has never said), and "conjured God into existence," though he may or may not exist, by insisting that he "requires" things of @metis.

And finally, you have leapt into the assertion that your belief in "everlasting life"' is true, but with nothing to demonstrate why except your own belief.

Well, you see, for many of us, your beliefs do not define the rules of the universe. In fact, in many ways, your beliefs do not even make very good rational sense.

I think you need to work on your argument a little.

Colt

Well? :shrug:

Please explain your logic besides what you may believe.
Because if you sincerely want to find God, that desire is in itself evidence that you have already found God. God isn't lost, often we have simply ignored God. When once we begin to search, that is proof of the birth of faith within in the God that is also within.

Having found God we begin our eternal quest of getting to know God.

Last edited:

capumetu

And the explanation of your “logic” that the post asked for?

Sure, here is the Biblical identification of how to identify God's people, those of the one faith:

1. The one faith would worship the God Jehovah exclusively. (Matthew 4:10) Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to Him alone you must render sacred service.’” (It was written at Deut 6:13).

2. The one faith will not participate in war. Paul stated: (2 Corinthians 10:3) . . .For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. . .

3. The one faith approaches Jehovah through Jesus, Paul said:
(1 Timothy 2:5) . . .For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus. . .Jesus said: (John 14:6) . . .Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . .

4. Jesus said the one faith would be known by the love of its adherents:
(John 13:34, 35) . . .I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves. . .
It’s adherents would imitate Jesus,
Peter said: (1 Peter 2:21) . . .to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely. . .

5. The one faith will preach the good news of the Kingdom of God, as mankind’s only hope, not a worldly government, Jesus stated:
(John 18:36) . . .“My Kingdom is no part of this world. . . .
He told us to: (Matthew 6:33) 33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.
Jesus stated the main reason he came to earth: (Luke 4:43) . . .“I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God to other cities, because for this I was sent.”
He assigned his followers to: (Matthew 28:19) . . .Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations,. . ., 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.

6. The one faith accepts the Bible as the inspired message of God, Paul said:
(2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God. . .

7. The one faith would appear to be formed in the last days, it’s adherents would be highly educated through instruction, and would live the teachings in their lives: Isaiah wrote: (Isaiah 2:2, 3) . . .In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established . . .And to it all the nations will stream. 3 And many peoples will go and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, To the house of the God of Jacob. He will instruct us about his ways, And we will walk in his paths.

8. The one faith would not set men on high, with religious titles, Jesus said: (Matthew 23:8-10) 8 But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.

9. The one faith does not allow unrepentant sinners to remain among them,
Paul stated: (1 Corinthians 5:11-13) . . .I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. . .“Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

10. The one faith does not practice interfaith with other “Christian” faiths. All teach the same thing, and have the same line of thought: (2 Cor 6:14) For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?
(Phil 2:2) make my joy full by being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having the one thought in mind.
(1 Corinthians 1:10) Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.
Jesus said: (John 17:20) . . .“I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word. . .in order that they may be one just as we are one.

capumetu

There's not a lot of good sense to be made out of what you've written here. First, you admit (as we all must) that either God exists or doesn't. But you then go on to state that you have "made your choice," but how does YOUR choice have anything at all to do with whether God exists or not? Your choice is nothing but a matter of belief on the question, which you admit may not be shared by others.

And then you go further, by implying that @metis must also believe as you do (which he has never said), and "conjured God into existence," though he may or may not exist, by insisting that he "requires" things of @metis.

And finally, you have leapt into the assertion that your belief in "everlasting life"' is true, but with nothing to demonstrate why except your own belief.

Well, you see, for many of us, your beliefs do not define the rules of the universe. In fact, in many ways, your beliefs do not even make very good rational sense.

I think you need to work on your argument a little.

You are very well correct in what you say sir. My response is quite condensed and to the point with that individual. A person could ramble on extensively on that subject, including the side points. We simply teach the Bible, the Bible states clearly that God exists, everlasting life will be granted, and that there is one faith in which all of God's people congregate. It is really quite simple, I believe I have recognized God's people and went with them, obviously if someone is not of the faith that I have selected, then I would believe they are not serving my God. Make sense? All people should feel that way about their faith, but they should feel that way through scriptural evidence.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You are very well correct in what you say sir. My response is quite condensed and to the point with that individual. A person could ramble on extensively on that subject, including the side points. We simply teach the Bible, the Bible states clearly that God exists, everlasting life will be granted, and that there is one faith in which all of God's people congregate. It is really quite simple, I believe I have recognized God's people and went with them, obviously if someone is not of the faith that I have selected, then I would believe they are not serving my God. Make sense? All people should feel that way about their faith, but they should feel that way through scriptural evidence.
I consider scripture to be hear-say, not evidence at all.

stvdv

No sir, God has always had one group of people. We became a nation when we accepted the law covenant shortly after God delivered us from Egypt. It was at that point we became His nation. He still has one group of people today, under a new covenant that was enacted shortly after Jesus returned to heaven. Eph 4:5 says there is one faith, and John 4:24 states that those who worship God must do so with spirit and truth. There are not multiple sets of truth. The Bible identifies the true faith beyond any doubt.
Thank you for sharing your view on these verses. I like Eph and John, but I interpret it quite differently; I see that as the charm of the Bible.