• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Many Paths To God"?

capumetu

Thank you for sharing your view on these verses. I like Eph and John, but I interpret it quite differently; I see that as the charm of the Bible.

Something to remember in interpretation is that the Bible does not contradict, if another verse contradicts something we believe, there is some error involved in our understanding.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Something to remember in interpretation is that the Bible does not contradict
IF that is your opinion THEN you indeed need to remember that. I need not to remember that, because I have another view on this

if another verse contradicts something we believe, there is some error involved in our understanding.
Again, that is your opinion, so there will be some error in your understanding. Not in mine, as I have a different opinion on this

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
May I ask why you have selected a Religious forum to post?
Because humanity is my study, and religion is a fact of human life, and for many people, an important fact. Because religion has an impact, often enough a bad one (and I have personally suffered some of those). Because religion tries hard to make itself known, and to impose itself, even where it is not wanted (for example missionairies, and those who even today proselytize on street corners and anywhere else they can find for their peculiar beliefs -- I run into them every single day).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Because if you sincerely want to find God, that desire is in itself evidence that you have already found God. God isn't lost, often we have simply ignored God. When once we begin to search, that is proof of the birth of faith within in the God that is also within.

Having found God we begin our eternal quest of getting to know God.
Based on my experiences, I do tend to agree with you as I tend to believe a "piece" of God is within us. We need to remember that before the Gospel was written, there was and is the Inspirer, as Jesus had promised.

However, I do not believe that the Spirit is just unique to Christianity or just the Abrahamic religions.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Thank you for sharing your view on these verses. I like Eph and John, but I interpret it quite differently; I see that as the charm of the Bible.
I see that as the nature of the Bible. It’s multivalent.

sojourner

Sure, here is the Biblical identification of how to identify God's people, those of the one faith:

1. The one faith would worship the God Jehovah exclusively. (Matthew 4:10) Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to Him alone you must render sacred service.’” (It was written at Deut 6:13).

2. The one faith will not participate in war. Paul stated: (2 Corinthians 10:3) . . .For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. . .

3. The one faith approaches Jehovah through Jesus, Paul said:
(1 Timothy 2:5) . . .For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus. . .Jesus said: (John 14:6) . . .Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . .

4. Jesus said the one faith would be known by the love of its adherents:
(John 13:34, 35) . . .I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves. . .
It’s adherents would imitate Jesus,
Peter said: (1 Peter 2:21) . . .to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely. . .

5. The one faith will preach the good news of the Kingdom of God, as mankind’s only hope, not a worldly government, Jesus stated:
(John 18:36) . . .“My Kingdom is no part of this world. . . .
He told us to: (Matthew 6:33) 33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.
Jesus stated the main reason he came to earth: (Luke 4:43) . . .“I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God to other cities, because for this I was sent.”
He assigned his followers to: (Matthew 28:19) . . .Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations,. . ., 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.

6. The one faith accepts the Bible as the inspired message of God, Paul said:
(2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God. . .

7. The one faith would appear to be formed in the last days, it’s adherents would be highly educated through instruction, and would live the teachings in their lives: Isaiah wrote: (Isaiah 2:2, 3) . . .In the final part of the days, The mountain of the house of Jehovah Will become firmly established . . .And to it all the nations will stream. 3 And many peoples will go and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah, To the house of the God of Jacob. He will instruct us about his ways, And we will walk in his paths.

8. The one faith would not set men on high, with religious titles, Jesus said: (Matthew 23:8-10) 8 But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. 9 Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.

9. The one faith does not allow unrepentant sinners to remain among them,
Paul stated: (1 Corinthians 5:11-13) . . .I am writing you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. . .“Remove the wicked person from among yourselves.”

10. The one faith does not practice interfaith with other “Christian” faiths. All teach the same thing, and have the same line of thought: (2 Cor 6:14) For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?
(Phil 2:2) make my joy full by being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having the one thought in mind.
(1 Corinthians 1:10) Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.
Jesus said: (John 17:20) . . .“I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word. . .in order that they may be one just as we are one.
This doesn’t explain your reasoning why you believe there is only one path to God. It explains why you feel the particular path you’ve chosen is valid for you. None of this invalidates other paths. Can you invalidate other paths?

sojourner

You are very well correct in what you say sir. My response is quite condensed and to the point with that individual. A person could ramble on extensively on that subject, including the side points. We simply teach the Bible, the Bible states clearly that God exists, everlasting life will be granted, and that there is one faith in which all of God's people congregate. It is really quite simple, I believe I have recognized God's people and went with them, obviously if someone is not of the faith that I have selected, then I would believe they are not serving my God. Make sense? All people should feel that way about their faith, but they should feel that way through scriptural evidence.
What about people who adhere to a different canon?

sojourner

Something to remember in interpretation is that the Bible does not contradict, if another verse contradicts something we believe, there is some error involved in our understanding.
False. Many passages blatantly contradict each other. The Bible is not one, cohesive text.

sojourner

When anyone speaks of God they think of Religion Metis. There is generally three categories virtually anything will fit into. Governmental, commercial, or religion. All thinking people would place most everything about God in the category of Religion. He has a congregation of worshipers.
Evidently, God also has many other groups of worshipers, some very similar, others very dissimilar. Many Hindi are as passionate in their beliefs — and as well -founded — as you in yours.

sojourner

Millenniums ago Joshua said:
(Joshua 23:14) . . .look! I am about to die, and you well know with all your heart and with all your soul that not one word out of all the good promises that Jehovah your God has spoken to you has failed. They have all come true for you. Not one word of them has failed.
These pre-Christian people of God had seen unbelievable things therefore able to put faith in promises from Him that had yet to come. We have the privilege of seeing so much more of His promises fulfilled. The Bible book of Matthew 24 should be convincing to most skeptics as so much of it is being fulfilled right at this time, on time I might add.
Upon what do you base your interpretation? Why is that source any more reliable than anyone else’s?

capumetu

Because humanity is my study, and religion is a fact of human life, and for many people, an important fact. Because religion has an impact, often enough a bad one (and I have personally suffered some of those). Because religion tries hard to make itself known, and to impose itself, even where it is not wanted (for example missionairies, and those who even today proselytize on street corners and anywhere else they can find for their peculiar beliefs -- I run into them every single day).

No doubt as you are right now, you "run into" many of those of my faith. Don't worry however, we have reached everyone you know most probably, we are very near to completing our assignment.

capumetu

This doesn’t explain your reasoning why you believe there is only one path to God. It explains why you feel the particular path you’ve chosen is valid for you. None of this invalidates other paths. Can you invalidate other paths?

Jehovah identified the path as I clearly posted, if you do not meet all those qualifications, then God has invalidated you sir. Not hard to understand

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No doubt as you are right now, you "run into" many of those of my faith. Don't worry however, we have reached everyone you know most probably, we are very near to completing our assignment.
False.

In any case, I find your "assignment" quite despicable, as what it really is about is stripping people's beliefs from them, and supplanting them with your own. I really despise that sort of thing.

capumetu

False.

In any case, I find your "assignment" quite despicable, as what it really is about is stripping people's beliefs from them, and supplanting them with your own. I really despise that sort of thing.

That is what separates us sir, Religiously speaking all peoples are separated into 2 groups. You acceptance and adherence to the Kingdom messages determines which group you will be in.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The following are flat-out contradictions:

“… the earth abideth for ever.” — Ecclesiastes 1:4
“… the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” — 2Peter 3:10
------------------------------------------------------------------
“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” — Genesis 32:30
“No man hath seen God at any time…”– John 1:18
“… with God all things are possible.” — Matthew 19:26
“…The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.” — Judges 1:19
“…thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. ” — Exodus 21:23-25
“…ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” — Matthew 5:39
“This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.” — Genesis 17:10
“…if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.” — Galatians 5:2
“Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of this mother…” — Deuteronomy 27:22

“And if a man shall take his sister, his father’s daughter, or his mother’s daughter…it is a wicked thing….” — Leviticus 20:17

[But what was god’s reaction to Abraham, who married his sister — his father’s daughter?] See Genesis 20:11-12

“And God said unto Abraham, As for Sara thy wife…I bless her, and give thee a son also of her…” — Genesis 17:15-16
“The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father…” — Ezekiel 18:20

“I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation…” — Exodus 20:5
“Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.” — James 1:13
“And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham…” — Genesis 22:1

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That is what separates us sir, Religiously speaking all peoples are separated into 2 groups. You acceptance and adherence to the Kingdom messages determines which group you will be in.
There's almost nothing you folks seem to like as much as a good, scary threat, is there?

Trust me, I am not frightened by that sort of childishness.

capumetu

The following are flat-out contradictions:

“… the earth abideth for ever.” — Ecclesiastes 1:4
“… the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” — 2Peter 3:10
“… I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” — Genesis 32:30
“No man hath seen God at any time…”– John 1:18
“… with God all things are possible.” — Matthew 19:26
“…The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.” — Judges 1:19
“…thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. ” — Exodus 21:23-25
“…ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” — Matthew 5:39
“This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.” — Genesis 17:10
“…if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.” — Galatians 5:2
“Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of this mother…” — Deuteronomy 27:22

“And if a man shall take his sister, his father’s daughter, or his mother’s daughter…it is a wicked thing….” — Leviticus 20:17

[But what was god’s reaction to Abraham, who married his sister — his father’s daughter?] See Genesis 20:11-12

“And God said unto Abraham, As for Sara thy wife…I bless her, and give thee a son also of her…” — Genesis 17:15-16
“The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father…” — Ezekiel 18:20

“I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation…” — Exodus 20:5
“Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.” — James 1:13
“And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham…” — Genesis 22:1