• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

love your neighbour

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...we shun religion, that is why we suffer.

I'm curious what evidence you might have that shunning religion is the cause -- or even merely a cause -- of conflict in this world? I know of no such evidence myself, and have always considered the notion you've expressed to be more mythical than factual. But if you have any evidence in support of your claim, please bring it forth.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Religious folks sometimes do their own dividing, their own sorting the world into us versus them. Instead of saying "We are all brothers and sisters", they say, "All of us who are of the faith are brothers and sisters, and those who are not are in error -- or worse."

Whether that was the intention of their founders is a matter of debate, but it is certainly too often the practice. I think human nature is essentially tribal, and that religious folk -- however much they might like to claim the credit for overcoming that tribalism -- often do too little to overcome it, and even sometimes do much to inflame it.

It's hard for even a religion to rise above human nature.

This is not restricted to just religion. All idealogies are guilty of this. Its what happens when people value the collective over the individual. I agree with you that it is human nature. But people can move past this by moving away from collectivism and learning to appreciate the individual. This is easier said than done, but it is possible.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
all religions say we must live as brothers and sisters. yet no one lives that way, we all see other humans as our potential enemies. we shun religion, that is why we suffer.
I disagree. I know many people personally who live this out every day. Most are atheists, unitarians or quakers, and don't care too much about God. So, all evidence seems to point to this being not at all related or dependent on religion in any real way.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That's why Paul was an antiCHrist, and should never have been included in the Bible, He constantly contradicts Jesus' teaching and put his own words over Jesus"
Well-put. Couldn't agree more. And, I also find his claims about seeing Jesus in a vision, which provided him authority, is believable at all.

Ponder This

There is a major conflict, IMO, in Paul's claim that we are not even to eat with sinners.

1 Corinthians 5:11
But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

That doesn't sound like love your neighbor, and a huge contrast to the love and acceptance Jesus not only spoke but exemplified in his actions.

Ah yes, together with Jesus, divided with Paul.
On the one hand, inspired and, on the other hand, fanatic.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Was Paul the first hypocritical right wing fundamentalist??

syo

I'm curious what evidence you might have that shunning religion is the cause -- or even merely a cause -- of conflict in this world? I know of no such evidence myself, and have always considered the notion you've expressed to be more mythical than factual. But if you have any evidence in support of your claim, please bring it forth.
most religious people I now don't treat others according to the teaching of Christ. they are christians in name only, their actions are not christian. if people were truly christians there wouldn't be hunger and suffering

leibowde84

Veteran Member
most religious people I now don't treat others according to the teaching of Christ. they are christians in name only, their actions are not christian.
But, that doesn't mean that it is a problem with rejecting or ignoring religion, as there are plenty of non-religious people who do live up to this ideal. So, why do you think it is a problem with ignoring religion and not just a problem with people being selfish by nature?

syo

there are plenty of non-religious people who do live up to this ideal.
people who live up to the ideal are religious even if they claim not to be. religious doesn't mean I bow to god and that's it. religious is following the correct path to humanity. religious is not superstition beliefs.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
people who live up to the ideal are religious even if they claim not to be. religious doesn't mean I bow to god and that's it. religious is following the correct path to humanity. religious is not superstition beliefs.
Are you just using your own, made-up definition of the term "religion"? If so, can you provide it? The most general definition of "religion" I am finding is "a system of faith and worship", which doesn't go along with your claim about what the word means.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
most religious people I now don't treat others according to the teaching of Christ. they are christians in name only, their actions are not christian. if people were truly christians there wouldn't be hunger and suffering

Are you sure that's what Christ taught?

idav

Being
Premium Member
This is not restricted to just religion. All idealogies are guilty of this. Its what happens when people value the collective over the individual. I agree with you that it is human nature. But people can move past this by moving away from collectivism and learning to appreciate the individual. This is easier said than done, but it is possible.
I think what your talking about there, collectivism and appreciating the individual amounts to the same thing, nobody wants a hive mind. People just have to be able to live productively as neighbors, possibly with different types of lives, religion, culture, etc.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
all religions say we must live as brothers and sisters. yet no one lives that way, we all see other humans as our potential enemies. we shun religion, that is why we suffer.

It is time to find our unity.

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens".

"Let not man pride himself that he loves his country, let man pride hinself in that he loves his kind".

This advice was given by Baha'u'llah in the late 1800's. The Baha'is now embrace all the peoples of the world as brothers and sisters of one family.

Regards Tony

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

That sounds rather jaded. Seems to me most people live and let live and get along just fine. There are some notable exceptions, such as the constant turnmoil experienced in warzones or areas with extreme political unrest, but at least in my country, such conditions basically do not exist. And I say that with confidence even admist the possible uptick in such events within the past six months or so.