• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So you typically get naked in front of your platonic friends?

Whatever floats your boat...
My best (femme) friend and I, uh, yeah? It's no biggie lol. We sleep in the same bed nude as the day we were born and we're just friends. We undress infront of each other, go in changing rooms together etc. Nothing between us at all though.

Just saying, lol.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It's downright silly to equate homosexuality with the very worst crimes, as it does NOTHING objectively harmful to anyone ...

It makes sense if you try to see it from God's point of view. Murder is wrong because God made man in his image, so the wrong you do to another human you do to God's image. God considers homosexuality an abomination and not fitting for a creature made in his image. Abomination is only used for a few things in the bible, homosexuality and the prayers of the wicked are abominations to God, so homosexuality is probably one of the worst sins.

Sonofason

Friends, the earliest known epistles from the apostle Paul to Timothy were written in Greek. There is certainly no English version of these letters that predate the hand written copy of them that we find in The Codex Sinaiticus; and they were written in Greek. Thus, if we are sincere about understanding Paul's intent and meaning of what he wrote, we must look at the Greek from which all known translations of these epistles came.

Knowing very well that laws are not made for the righteous, but for sinners, Paul compiles a list of the sort of person for which the law was intended;

"for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine...)"
(1 Timothy 1:9-10)

I have emboldened the words in question that pertain to this discussion.

Interestingly, if we were to translate these words back into the Greek, they would say, "αυτά που οι ίδιοι μολύνουν με την ανθρωπότητα". But these words are not found at all in the original Greek manuscripts. In fact, in the original Greek, we find only one word in the space allotted for all of these words that we find in the King James version of the Bible. The word, in the Greek was and is, "ἀρσενοκοίταις" It is the only word used and is the same word in all Greek translations of this section of this verse of the Bible.

So what is this word? Many of the words we use in English are closely related to words we find in Greek. So how does this word sound phonetically?
The English transliteration of ἀρσενοκοίταις, is "arsenokoitais".

Do you see the "arse" in this word?
Do you see the "koitais" in this word?

What do these sounds mean to you?
Well, it just so happens that we have definitions for these words in english.

arse -
  1. a often vulgar : buttocks —often used in emphatic reference to a specific person <get your A** over here> <saved my a** (edited for profanity)
    b often vulgar : anus
  2. usually vulgar : sexual intercourse
Definition of ARSE

koitais (coitus ) - sexual intercourse
Google

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what Paul is talking about. And the Bible says that the law was made for the kinds of people who engage in these kinds of acts. And I assure you, if the law is made for a kind of person, then the penalties that the Bible prescribes for this kind of person will have a full effect upon them.

MJFlores

In any case, unless I've missed something, . . .

There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals marrying
There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals not marrying.

The Bible is silent. So, just where do people get the idea that God is against same-sex marriage? Where is the scripture that explicitly forbids same-sex marriage?

Personally, I have friends who are gay, 2 are my former students - they were gay and still gay. However I think that the Bible is not silent on homosexuals and same sex marriage.

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10

People have the right to be gay - sure because that is
upload_2017-4-27_11-8-31.jpeg

As it is the right of people to be greedy or drunkards

These are temporary things, I look for things to come

2 Peter 3:13 New International Version (NIV)

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

whirlingmerc

If the question is whether the Bible supports a same sex sexual relationship? no. The Bible is heavily compementarian. Even the words for male and female are piercer and pierced. Yet all are sinners in many ways and all need grace.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Personally, I have friends who are gay, 2 are my former students - they were gay and still gay. However I think that the Bible is not silent on homosexuals and same sex marriage.

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Don't see a thing about marriage.

whirlingmerc said:
If the question is whether the Bible supports a same sex sexual relationship? no
It isn't. The question appears in the title of the thread.

Last edited:

MJFlores

Don't see a thing about marriage.

It isn't The question appears in the title of the thread.

I think it is the US idea to be the land of the free, isn't it?
That is the concept of freedom, isn't it?
same_sex_marriage_map_update.jpg

But with regards to the Bible - it prohibits such same sex union. It is not silent.

If homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of God, well I think the Bible does prohibit homosexual marriage, don't you think so.

If a state or country allows it, well it is their freedom to do so but with regards to the Bible, it is a different matter.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-27_13-39-12.jpeg
    upload_2017-4-27_13-39-12.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 47

meghanwaterlillies

It's no secret that according the Bible god made woman for man, and that they should be together.

Genesis 2:22-24 NIV
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.​

Or that while god doesn't like the idea of men and women having sexual relations, because he created them with sexual urges, it's best that they be married.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 NIV
"1 . . .It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.​

However, there are many people who never marry and seem to be quite accepted within the Christian faith. So marriage doesn't appear to be an absolute necessity in Christian theology and in practice. It's not a deal breaker. People don't have to get married to be good Christians.

This seems to be the sum and substance of God's regard for marriage.

1) It's not mandatory.

2) But does serves to forestall "sexual immorality"​

And while the Bible says God doesn't like homosexual activities He doesn't seem to condemn people for being homosexuals. Like wise, while He doesn't like the idea of heterosexuals having sex, (1 Corinthians 7:1-2 ) He doesn't condemn them for being heterosexuals.

So God doesn't really like people having sexual relations be they homosexual or heterosexual; however, He is willing to allow heterosexuals to indulge themselves if they marry one another.

As for homosexuals and their sexual urges________________ nothing! Nothing is said one way or the other about their sexual predicament. My suspicion is that in the scheme of things homosexuals just aren't significant enough to bother mentioning. HOWEVER, it is said in 1 Corinthians 7:8-9

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.
9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
which, in addressing unmarried heterosexuals, says that for the sake of one's self sexual control it is better to marry. Marriage, therefore, is treated as nothing more than a means of controlling sexual passion, which I think would reasonably apply to homosexuals as well. Marriage is but an accommodation.

In any case, unless I've missed something, . . .

There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals marrying
There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals not marrying.

The Bible is silent. So, just where do people get the idea that God is against same-sex marriage? Where is the scripture that explicitly forbids same-sex marriage?

that's because it's a creationists evolution's idea not based on love and to institute multi-cultism in form of "I know I could cause you to sin because I don't care to love you I want you heed me."

meghanwaterlillies

I think it is the US idea to be the land of the free, isn't it?
That is the concept of freedom, isn't it?
same_sex_marriage_map_update.jpg

But with regards to the Bible - it prohibits such same sex union. It is not silent.

If homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of God, well I think the Bible does prohibit homosexual marriage, don't you think so.

If a state or country allows it, well it is their freedom to do so but with regards to the Bible, it is a different matter.
it's actually not legal...
Like rememeber when Mexico sent in fronters to live as the melting pot the foreigners love oby.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not a Christian but pretty sure 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says that sodomites will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
I'm not a Christian either, but I can't recall any passage in the Bible that says that being destined for Heaven is a requirement for a valid marriage on Earth.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Leviticus 18:22? Homosexuals cannot consummate a marriage, ergo they cannot marry.
Really?

Once this process of acquisition has been formalized and a woman has become mekudeshet, she is considered to be married even though the marriage bond has not been consummated and she has not entered her husband's home. Should anyone other than her husband engage in sexual relations with her, he is liable to be executed by the court. If her husband desires to divorce her, he must compose a get [a formal bill of divorce].

Ishut - Chapter One

meghanwaterlillies

Do you know which gender actually has the capacity to form another living being? That's right, it's not the guys (yet).

Didn't they also have to show the parents the bedsheets? Do you?

Wasn't aware men had vaginas. If you CAN lie with a man as a man would a woman, there have been a few details missing during the dating phase of the relationship.

But is actually made up of countless people, including all genders, and children. Jesus is a busy guy ...

I was told in a Southern Baptist first grade class to use my right hand, so if I write with my left, it still looks like a first-grader's handwriting, LOL. My mother was more blatantly told she was going to hell for using her left hand.

What was the legal justification for Joseph marrying the divinely knocked up tween, then? Some denominations claim she never had sex, ever. Thus, their marriage is invalid, no?

This is a God who had Adam test himself out on all the animals in the garden before realizing he needed a sex partner of the same species.

Well, that sucks, since it happens practically all the time in the bible, with God's approval, even.
"What was the legal justification for Joseph marrying the divinely knocked up tween, then? Some denominations claim she never had sex, ever. Thus, their marriage is invalid, no?"
they were relatively yes the same age .. the church got mad that they weren't married yet..
suppose yet the father was likely catholic and wasn't about to have that. Would she have to marry a religious old guy like the "harlot" sleeping with the priesthood not knowing or desperate for something to do that Jesus later saw. Would she have to be the glass have full girl by a water well. Well they probably would just kill her child marriage was the first kill already, it doesn't make mother mary-worship any better or mother father worship any better. She gave birth in a manger but to avoid getting stoned she went to Egypt (bad enough right) even after the birth it was her life they would have called an adulterous one, Joseph isn't giving up the child or her, That's a real win actually. Guys would sometimes smash her out knowingly. So in actuality Joseph won more then a women likely to be stoned if you put those too together.. And they were truly from the land, they didn't receive support, and somehow religion treated their natural born as threat everyone else needed a different 'fathers" cosigners to make it legit even if they weren't to guise over the other natural births of the land matter of fact they were being taught to be killed. Egypt was a dark place because nobody was there.. Herod killed babies like as if Egypt suddenly moved to canaan or something.. Odd story really. I mean one son born out of religious DEADLOCK...and no that gay stuff really had nothing to do with it. I bet herod thought preists were cool for this one.. Why, because later my father why has thou forsaken me when they did do it to men in the region military or and other wise cut people off..Then somewhere down the line from that dark place Jesus comes back. For some of these reasons I believe he argued but realized the priest was trying to make them illegitimate.
It states that many were told to worship angels or it keeps getting brought up.. If they were, why would they have too?
You don't need to worship angels if you are from the land, most things can be harmless but they grew them dependent on it in freaky ways or possible inciting bully superstitions to "equal" out. Nah.. Apparently they were putting pressure on people to do it by the pool of Salome. Many are still told to world wide adding that very cite up top?
And then I think he meets zion's tax collector.. or not really, maybe.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@skim i know I firmly disagree with scripture but to answer your question, the bible

Is about creation

Two men and two women cannot create. Its about multiplying creation so people can worship god. Marriage as repeatedly quoted is between male and woman because the laws of nature designed the male and female bodies to create a child. In many cultures the family picks the guy for their dsighter to wed. America is different so we cant use americans freedom and equal rigts to marry on a culture akd scripture thst prehibits it.

Scripture doesnt speak a out same-sex marriage nor does it speak of marrital intimacy and relationship between two men and two women. It only says homosexuality is an action amd many of us LGBTQ dont define our identity as a sin.

LGBTQ identity is not in the bible. So scripture is not referring to marriage between two men or two women nor does it mention LGBTQ people.

Some straight people werre homosexuals in the bible because they had sex with people of their own gender. Yes. Straight people were homosexuals. Today we would think thats silly but thats scripture for you.

Cant change what isnt there to begin with. Why question it?

meghanwaterlillies

And so now I get to the point that it somehow becomes a separate race?
Like that it is separate race being implied.
Women aren't men and men are not women.
Jerks create that sort of mishap.

Tumah

Veteran Member
There are two stages in the marriage process. The one described in the text you quoted is the first stage "eirusin". At that stage, the marriage is not completed and they may not live together.

There is also a question in Jewish Law of whether a betrothal can take effect on a person who one is prohibited to have relations with. So for instance, since relations with one's mother is prohibited, does betrothing her cause any status change in her or does the action have no effect? The same question would apply here.

Skwim

Veteran Member
No it isn't.

You're assuming that two married people of the same sex must have sexual relations.

No. Show us where the Bible says so. About all it says about homosexuality is that it can't included homosexual relations.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In Christian practice. According to the Catholic and Orthodox Church, if a couple has not had sex they are not married.
That's not true either.

In the Catholic tradition (don't know about the specifics for Orthodox), a couple is married from the moment of the sacrament of marriage. Consummation factors into whether the marriage can be validly dissolved, but it isn't automatic that an unconsummated marriage can be dissolved... and even if it can be, it's still considered a valid marriage until it is dissolved.

Ratum sed non consummatum - Wikipedia

MJFlores

No it isn't.

You're assuming that two married people of the same sex must have sexual relations.

No. Show us where the Bible says so. About all it says about homosexuality is that it can't included homosexual relations.

Sex is a part of being married and making babies. Having a family - that is the agenda of being married.

The bible is not silent on this part - men having sex with men - the bible says they will not inherit the kingdom of God so if they will not inherit the kingdom of God where will they be?

Looking for Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage

Romans 1:26-32 New International Version (NIV)

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.

images

In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

images

So those are Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage