• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sex is a part of being married and making babies. Having a family - that is the agenda of being married.
Says who?

The purpose of a marriage is defined by the couple. Who are you to decree what someone else's marriage should be about?

The bible is not silent on this part - men having sex with men - the bible says they will not inherit the kingdom of God so if they will not inherit the kingdom of God where will they be?
To make this relevant, you would need another passage that says that only people who will inherit the kingdom of God are allowed to marry. Is such a verse even in the Bible?

Romans 1:26-32 New International Version (NIV)

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.

images

In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

images

So those are Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage
Again: not really relevant. You're arguing for why the Bible considers homosexuality sinful. Unless you have some passage about how sinners aren't allowed to marry, the answer you're giving isn't to the question that was asked.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sex is a part of being married and making babies. Having a family - that is the agenda of being married.
Certainly not exclusively so. Many couples marry with no intention of having children. And quite a few married couples with children wish they never had them.

Romans 1:26-32 New International Version (NIV)

Romans 1:26-32(NIV)
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Hmmm, guess you should keep looking because there isn't thing-one here forbidding same-sex marriage.

So those are Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage
I'm beginning to believe you're incapable of reading and reasoning at the same time. In fact, I don't think you even know what "Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage" means.

MJFlores

Certainly not exclusively so. Many couples marry with no intention of having children. And quite a few married couples with children wish they never had them.

Romans 1:26-32(NIV)
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Hmmm, guess you should keep looking because there isn't thing-one here forbidding same-sex marriage.

I'm beginning to believe you're incapable of reading and reasoning at the same time. In fact, I don't think you even know what "Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage" means.

Why do you think people (man and woman) marry?
Why did I marry? Are you married?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Tell me why do people get married?
Because the overwhelming majority of people will have the best life as a partner in a mutually supportive, exclusive, and committed team of two.
Primitive notions about marriage are not as conducive to a good life. Old ideas like "officially sanctioned breeding pair" or "man acquires an all-purpose domestic appliance and woman acquires a permanent meal ticket for herself and offspring ". Lots of things have improved concerning morality. This is one.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why do you think people (man and woman) marry?
Why did I marry? Are you married?
Yes I am married, and we are both male.
We recently got the right to have our marriage recognized by the government. Religious organizations are still trying to retard the progress of morality, but that isn't a new thing.

Tom

MJFlores

Yes I am married, and we are both male.
We recently got the right to have our marriage recognized by the government. Religious organizations are still trying to retard the progress of morality, but that isn't a new thing.

Tom

There is a singer who did great at Glee Glee (TV series) - Wikipedia
She is a great talent, great voice and I love her sing
She became a lesbian about 4 years ago at the height of her popularity.

Her relationship with her girlfriend ended just recently.
Charice confirms breakup with girlfriend Alyssa Quijano

Well relationships come and go even with homosexuals and heterosexuals. But the thing is, the bible is loud against same gender sexual relationships

I love Barry Manilow, great singer. In fact I grew up with his music like Somewhere down the Road and Copacobana.
images

But even my favorite singers have been gay, I still like their music - that is all. What is written many centuries ago, is written and it will stand until kingdom come.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well relationships come and go even with homosexuals and heterosexuals. But the thing is, the bible is loud against same gender sexual relationships
So in a society where acceptance of non-hetero relationships is a given, it has nothing opposing same-sex marriage.

On the same-sex marriage question, the options aren't "same-sex marriage" and "LGBT couples don't exist". Your choices are:

- same-sex marriage, and
- same-sex committed relationships that aren't considered marriage.

Everything else is the same between those options.

So what does the Bibie have to say about THAT choice? Do you have any verse that says that God prefers gay people to be unmarried?

Your arguments so far have centred on some idea that God doesn't want gay people to exist at all, but that isn't an option under discussion. It's just same-sex marriage or not.

Either way, gay people will still exist.

Either way, gay people will still have sex.

Either way, gay people will have relationships.

Any argument that focuses on any of these things is irrelevant to the question at hand.

Wait - they're irrelevant except for one type of argument: if you want to argue that same-sex marriage should be denied in order to punish same-sex couples, then your argument might be logically valid. Ethically garbage, but maybe logically valid. Is that your position?

Kelly of the Phoenix

I think God has a University somewhere, though I hear it may be a scam, with other people doing the talking, not the Name on the Sign, and people end up spending a lot of money to hear something stupidly obvious.

MJFlores

And you think that a gay person who's in an unmarried relationship is in a better position for eternal life than a married gay person?

A gay person who does not do the detestable acts (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13) and who follows the will of the Father in heaven - has equal chances in obtaining eternal life.

I hope they could have eternal life but what is written is written. 1 Corinthians 6:9

At the end of time, it will be God who will be the judge of all. Romans 2:16

Kelly of the Phoenix

t the end of time, it will be God who will be the judge of all. Romans 2:16
But you've already signed on to Paul's judgement. Why not let people who aren't hurting anyone live their lives and let God sort it out later? I think some homophobes are going to awaken to those big pearly gates, the golden roads, the jeweled buildings, and freak when some Queen is running things. :)

Be fierce, God, be fierce. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A gay person who does not do the detestable acts (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13) and who follows the will of the Father in heaven - has equal chances in obtaining eternal life.
That or
Your Faith in the morally primitive people who wrote those ancient texts is misplaced. They were humans who shared your biases, but they didn't have any special connection to God.

You are willfully misrepresenting God because of your pride. That might turn out to be a bigger issue on Judgment Day than my having a partner I have sex with. (Once in a great while)
Tom

MJFlores

That or
Your Faith in the morally primitive people who wrote those ancient texts is misplaced. They were humans who shared your biases, but they didn't have any special connection to God.

You are willfully misrepresenting God because of your pride. That might turn out to be a bigger issue on Judgment Day than my having a partner I have sex with. (Once in a great while)
Tom

You could do whatever you would want. You are in a free country not in Russia. But if its the Bible we are talking about ....
upload_2017-4-30_23-1-4.jpeg