• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for Scripture Explicitly Forbidding Same-Sex Marriage

Tumah

Veteran Member
I understand that too...but there is no angelic deliverance of Ishmael or Esau mentioned in scripture is there? That pretty much makes those who retained belief in the true God, were still regarded as servants of his before Israel was formed into a nation.

Lot's daughters had children by means of their own father because they were stuck in a mountainous wilderness after the destruction of Sodom, with no marriage prospects and they wanted to preserve seed from their father. It was really a noble gesture and getting their father drunk demonstrates that he would not have impregnated his daughters by choice. They were not punished by God because no laws on incest were yet written.
Nations that descended from Lots daughters later became enemies of Israel.
This is all pure speculation on your part:
Where does it say that angelic deliverance is indicative of anything on the part of the delivered? I say Lot had no merit and he was only saved in the merit of Abraham.

Who said Lot would not have impregnated his daughters otherwise? I say that after realizing what happened the first night, he should have been a whole lot more wary of drinking the second night if he really wasn't interested in getting his daughters pregnant.

Speculation is not an answer.
I also disagree and believe that incest was already a Law given through the Noahide Laws.

Likewise you point out yourself that there were Laws that were not given yet. The Laws of marriage are included in that. Until the Torah was given on Mt. Sinai, there was no betrothal Law. The marriage was simply based on how the community one resided in did it.

Wasn't Samson in Philistine territory and wasn't the feast held according to their customs, not Israel's? (Judges 14:10-11)
It doesn't say that the feast was held according to someone's customs. It says that Samson made the feast [as opposed to his parents - the ones who actually arranged the marriage] because that was the custom of the lads.

Wasn't that to prevent entering into marriage lightly?
Again this is more speculation. The Torah doesn't give any reason for why the death penalty is given for someone who cheats on their betrothed. Making up your own reasons for why something was decreed by G-d is dangerous territory (Isa. 55:8-9), because then you start making up reasons why it doesn't apply to you.

Choosing a mate was to be done carefully, because God hates divorce. (Mal 2:14-16)
That's one way to read it.
The other way is, a person should divorce rather than deal treacherously with his wife.
Here are the words:

כי - because/if/that/when
שנא - one who hates
שלח - send (ie. divorce, also in third person, masculine, singular)

Because hates [one who] sent [his wife, I am]... (I am someone who hates those that divorce their wives)
If [he] hates [his wife], send [her]... (ie. if someone doesn't like his wife, he should divorce her)

Both readings can work. Although if you read it the first way, the subject is missing and it should have said something like "Because hates one who sends his wife, I am, says G-d.." That would have been a more typical verse structure. Its not absolutely wrong, but the second way does flow better, with the subject going back to the previous subject (the husband mentioned in the previous verse) as usual.

Among the Jews the engagement was regarded as so binding that if the marriage should not take place because of a change of mind on the part of the bridegroom or for some justifiable reason, the young woman could not be married to another until she was freed by due process of law, that is, by a certificate of divorce.

If the engaged girl committed fornication with another man during the time of her engagement to her bridegroom, she was judged an adulteress and sentenced to death. (Deut 22:23, 24) Even if a man had relations with a slave girl designated for another man but not yet redeemed, or freed, both parties were guilty and were punished. However, they were not to be put to death because she had not been set free. (Leviticus 19:20-22) It sounds like a complicated system, but designed to promote the seriousness of the marriage arrangement in the eyes of God.
I'm quite familiar with Jewish Law being Jewish and all. Thanks.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This is all pure speculation on your part:
Where does it say that angelic deliverance is indicative of anything on the part of the delivered? I say Lot had no merit and he was only saved in the merit of Abraham.

Are you not speculating yourself now? If Lot had been a wicked man he no doubt would have perished along with the Sodomites, would he not? You think God sends angels to save just anyone? (Genesis 19:1-22)

Who said Lot would not have impregnated his daughters otherwise? I say that after realizing what happened the first night, he should have been a whole lot more wary of drinking the second night if he really wasn't interested in getting his daughters pregnant.

If you read the account, it says he did not know when they came in and when they left. (Genesis 19:30-38) So he was unaware of what had occurred. Anyone guilty of a drunken one night stand can confirm that this is entirely possible.

Speculation is not an answer.
I also disagree and believe that incest was already a Law given through the Noahide Laws.

According to one Jewish source...."The Noachide Laws are seven laws considered by rabbinic tradition as the minimal moral duties required by the Bible on all men. While Jews are obligated to observe the whole Torah - 613 commandments, every non-Jew is considered a "son of the covenant of Noah" and he who accepts these obligations is considered a righteous person who is guaranteed a place in the world to come."

The Seven Noachide Laws | Jewish Virtual Library

It appears that there was no formal written Noahide laws though, were there? Not like the law of Moses, dictated by God and kept in written form.

With permission to eat flesh, God simply gave Noah his law on the sanctity of blood.
I believe that where there is no law, there can be no punishment. Lot and his daughters were not reprimanded nor were they punished for this incident. If it were deemed wicked by God, then he would not have rescued them.

It doesn't say that the feast was held according to someone's customs. It says that Samson made the feast [as opposed to his parents - the ones who actually arranged the marriage] because that was the custom of the lads.

In this case it appears to be Philistine 'lads' rather than Israelite ones.

I'm quite familiar with Jewish Law being Jewish and all. Thanks.

I know that, but I reference things for the benefit of readers who might not be so familiar. OK?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Are you not speculating yourself now? If Lot had been a wicked man he no doubt would have perished along with the Sodomites, would he not? You think God sends angels to save just anyone? (Genesis 19:1-22)
He should have, yes. That's where the merit of Abraham and saved him.
But that's besides the point. As you said, I am speculating as well (although I'm actually relying on Jewish literature). And since the verse doesn't say anything the effect either way, you have no basis on which to claim to that Lot worshiped G-d or in any way related to G-d's Law.

If you read the account, it says he did not know when they came in and when they left. (Genesis 19:30-38) So he was unaware of what had occurred. Anyone guilty of a drunken one night stand can confirm that this is entirely possible.
Its not impossible, that's true. Let's not forget that this is the same person who offered his virgin daughters to the assembled of Sodom in place of his guests.

According to one Jewish source...."The Noachide Laws are seven laws considered by rabbinic tradition as the minimal moral duties required by the Bible on all men. While Jews are obligated to observe the whole Torah - 613 commandments, every non-Jew is considered a "son of the covenant of Noah" and he who accepts these obligations is considered a righteous person who is guaranteed a place in the world to come."

The Seven Noachide Laws | Jewish Virtual Library

It appears that there was no formal written Noahide laws though, were there? Not like the law of Moses, dictated by God and kept in written form.

With permission to eat flesh, God simply gave Noah his law on the sanctity of blood.
I believe that where there is no law, there can be no punishment. Lot and his daughters were not reprimanded nor were they punished for this incident.
You misunderstand. I was not presenting my beliefs as a separate argument for Lot. I was stating my beliefs as part of the argument that speculation is not an argument. You had said, "They were not punished by God because no laws on incest were yet written." I was only countering that this is your belief not a fact. our belief is that incest laws were written, however there is no Noahide Law prohibiting a male to have relations with his daughter. So they were not punished.

The passage you quoted here is also incorrect. The Torah does not proscribe the Noahide Laws anywhere. They were told to Noah and passed down through the generations. There were formal laws, but there was no need to write them down.

If it were deemed wicked by God, then he would not have rescued them.
I think you need to review the order of events.

In this case it appears to be Philistine 'lads' rather than Israelite ones.
How does that matter? It was making the feast themselves rather than having their parents do it that was the custom. Whether or not Philistines also had a marriage feast is immaterial. The point is that it was a marriage feast, not a betrothal feast.

I know that, but I reference things for the benefit of readers who might not be so familiar. OK?
Are you debating with readers too?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Not everyone is His and He doesnt want the others He greives their loss, but He is willing to turn them away.
God doesn't need us. He loves us. We need Him. And He already did His part to make covenant with us.
Technically, He made covenants with some Hebrews and then later (supposedly) with some Jews who then called themselves Christians. Neither you nor I were in the bible, nor were our ancestors (I assume).

So Jesus died to do His part and deposited His Spirit. To enter contract we have to "count the cost" right? Pick up our crosses, and deposit our lives to follow Him. Its a walk in covenant with God.
Jesus then asked for a refund three days later. It's okay, though: Captain Jack Sparrow tried a similar argument with Davy Jones and Jones didn't think it worked either.

If you are unwilling to invest in the covenant what is required after "counting the cost," then you can't enter His covenant of grace.
How many times did Jesus and then his followers run from authorities and/or mobs? I mean, I'd be more impressed with such sacrificial talk if they didn't try to run away all the time and only got sacrificed when they could no longer escape.

Pick up our crosses, and deposit our lives to follow Him.
And he dropped his and it took someone else to do it for him, IIRC.

You must be born again whether you are " born gay" or not.

I know friends who have been born again who thought they were born gay. The Holy Spirit is a must have to be a Christian. We all MUST be born again!
And some people were tortured to near death until they were reborn FABULOUS. God saw that they cried unto Him for help and He gave them a big ol' rainbow cookie. :)

I understand Judaism does not like to say that two young men who got naked and hung out together and clearly loved each other waaaaaaay more than any of the women involved were gay.

This abomination goes against the natural order.
The amusing thing is, for many cultures, it DID go with the natural order. One civilization out of the rest of them, really ...

And given that it IS natural, for both humans and non-humans alike, it cannot be argued to be unnatural. Unnatural things technically can't happen in, well, nature. :)

You know what (as far as we know scientifically) hasn't happened at all in nature? Parthenogenesis in the human species. Sure, it happens in other species, but not ours. So far ... and if you don't count mythologies from all over the world, of course.

It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” then, recognizing man's natural urges, he explains how one can get around this dictate: get married.
Kinda makes you wonder if he hated women sexually and thought that getting married would "cure" him, but then he was all like, "You know what? Not ... even ... then ...."

Marriages were registered. Under the Law marriages, as well as births resulting from the union, were recorded in the official records of the community. For this reason we have an accurate genealogy of Jesus Christ.
I assume you have historical/archaeological evidence of such community records from the time period, yes?

Now, I'm sorry, but how doers that not mess up your children? What do they call this 'woman' now when they have called him Daddy all their lives?
I saw a cute story on FB. They called her Maddy.

Besides, children get fed legends, myths, and fables where some sort of transformation in a love story is par for the course. Should Belle or Eric be burned at the stake for falling in love with what didn't count as humans per their cultures?

A Christian marriage would obviously not involve drug addiction or domestic violence. If it does, it is obviously not a Christian marriage.
*giggles* Obviously ...

It isn't the primary reason for the act....its purpose is noble.
My mother had children because she liked playing house as a kid. My father didn't want children but wanted, when that was no longer an option, to have unpaid workers. Forgive me if I don't see reproduction as inherently noble.

I believe God makes it clear that marriage is rightly only between a man and a woman.
And a woman and a woman and a sister and a feminized clone and a whole bunch of other women, and some girls, and ...

No evidence suggests that either David or Johnathan were homosexuals. Men can have deep affection for one another without any desire to commit homosexual acts, and so can women, IMO.
I don't usually get nude and lie with my regular friends of whatever gender, though. Even Saul knew it as he flat out accuses Jonathan of being in that kind of a relationship with David. Of course, Judaism relies on the fact Saul was a paranoid psycho by that time, but ....

The fact remains that he didn't love his politically-astute marriages to women and he went full-on drama queen when Johnny died.

"And Jehovah God built the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman, and he brought her to the man. Then the man said:“This is at last bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh.
He is having sex with his twin sister who must have been made a woman because to just use tissue from a guy would've produced another guy....

I highlighted the words that indicate Jehovah originated the first marriage
They never get married though. It's just "Hi. Me man. You man minus penis. I have sex with you now."

and that we should not judge others, as we are guilty of those vices as well.
Yup. Especially the homophobes, as even science can show the loudest ones are the MOST gay.

Sad to be so self-hated and so insecure in one's sexuality, isn't it?

but wish he had waited for his children to be of an age where it would have been less difficult for them where everyone knows him/her
Do they seem upset? Is it any of your business?

its the young child, too immature to understand, and the impact that full recognition will make when full understanding comes
How adult do you have to be? Kids get it even when adults don't.

First kid (9 minutes-ish)

Second kid (2 minutes-ish)

Also kids can cop a tremendous amount of bullying over something like that.
Yes, because it's important to live in denial and fear over what someone who raised bratty evil ********** thinks.

Having an Aunty and a Mommy who are fleshly sisters, or a Dad and Uncle, fleshly brothers raising children together is way different to having two parents of one gender who act like husband and wife. Role models shape children. It alters perceptions.
Unless you're having sex with your spouse in front of your children to teach them the birds and the bees, gender is really irrelevant to most of life's lessons you should be teaching your child.

I say Lot had no merit and he was only saved in the merit of Abraham.
Exactly.

Both readings can work. Although if you read it the first way, the subject is missing and it should have said something like "Because hates one who sends his wife, I am, says G-d.." That would have been a more typical verse structure. Its not absolutely wrong, but the second way does flow better, with the subject going back to the previous subject (the husband mentioned in the previous verse) as usual.
And it's better for the wife, especially if she lives with Hannibal Lecter or something.

If Lot had been a wicked man he no doubt would have perished along with the Sodomites, would he not?
No, because we have a scene where Abe specifically asks God multiple times for Sodom and Gomorrah to be spared or at least Lot. Lot is not a good person. He is being saved simply because Abe and God are besties.

You think God sends angels to save just anyone?
How many righteous people die without angels helping them out?

omega2xx

It's no secret that according the Bible god made woman for man, and that they should be together.

Genesis 2:22-24 NIV
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.​

Or that while god doesn't like the idea of men and women having sexual relations, because he created them with sexual urges, it's best that they be married.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 NIV
"1 . . .It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.​

However, there are many people who never marry and seem to be quite accepted within the Christian faith. So marriage doesn't appear to be an absolute necessity in Christian theology and in practice. It's not a deal breaker. People don't have to get married to be good Christians.

This seems to be the sum and substance of God's regard for marriage.

1) It's not mandatory.

2) But does serves to forestall "sexual immorality"​

And while the Bible says God doesn't like homosexual activities He doesn't seem to condemn people for being homosexuals. Like wise, while He doesn't like the idea of heterosexuals having sex, (1 Corinthians 7:1-2 ) He doesn't condemn them for being heterosexuals.

So God doesn't really like people having sexual relations be they homosexual or heterosexual; however, He is willing to allow heterosexuals to indulge themselves if they marry one another.

As for homosexuals and their sexual urges________________ nothing! Nothing is said one way or the other about their sexual predicament. My suspicion is that in the scheme of things homosexuals just aren't significant enough to bother mentioning. HOWEVER, it is said in 1 Corinthians 7:8-9

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.
9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
which, in addressing unmarried heterosexuals, says that for the sake of one's self sexual control it is better to marry. Marriage, therefore, is treated as nothing more than a means of controlling sexual passion, which I think would reasonably apply to homosexuals as well. Marriage is but an accommodation.

In any case, unless I've missed something, . . .

There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals marrying
There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals not marrying.

The Bible is silent. So, just where do people get the idea that God is against same-sex marriage? Where is the scripture that explicitly forbids same-sex marriage?

God's first commandment---Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth...

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It's no secret that according the Bible god made woman for man, and that they should be together.

Genesis 2:22-24 NIV
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.​

Or that while god doesn't like the idea of men and women having sexual relations, because he created them with sexual urges, it's best that they be married.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 NIV
"1 . . .It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.​

However, there are many people who never marry and seem to be quite accepted within the Christian faith. So marriage doesn't appear to be an absolute necessity in Christian theology and in practice. It's not a deal breaker. People don't have to get married to be good Christians.

This seems to be the sum and substance of God's regard for marriage.

1) It's not mandatory.

2) But does serves to forestall "sexual immorality"​

And while the Bible says God doesn't like homosexual activities He doesn't seem to condemn people for being homosexuals. Like wise, while He doesn't like the idea of heterosexuals having sex, (1 Corinthians 7:1-2 ) He doesn't condemn them for being heterosexuals.

So God doesn't really like people having sexual relations be they homosexual or heterosexual; however, He is willing to allow heterosexuals to indulge themselves if they marry one another.

As for homosexuals and their sexual urges________________ nothing! Nothing is said one way or the other about their sexual predicament. My suspicion is that in the scheme of things homosexuals just aren't significant enough to bother mentioning. HOWEVER, it is said in 1 Corinthians 7:8-9

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.
9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
which, in addressing unmarried heterosexuals, says that for the sake of one's self sexual control it is better to marry. Marriage, therefore, is treated as nothing more than a means of controlling sexual passion, which I think would reasonably apply to homosexuals as well. Marriage is but an accommodation.

In any case, unless I've missed something, . . .

There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals marrying
There's nothing in the Bible specifically about homosexuals not marrying.

The Bible is silent. So, just where do people get the idea that God is against same-sex marriage? Where is the scripture that explicitly forbids same-sex marriage?

It offers no benefit for them to marry, since they won't get to heaven because they are homosexuals. 1 cor 6:9

Skwim

Veteran Member
It offers no benefit for them to marry, since they won't get to heaven because they are homosexuals. 1 cor 6:9
Is it your impression that the only benefit to marriage is that it will allow one into heaven?

In any case:

1 cor 6:9
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,​

And which of these do you think indicates homosexuals?

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Is it your impression that the only benefit to marriage is that it will allow one into heaven?

In any case:

1 cor 6:9
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,​

And which of these do you think indicates homosexuals?

Oh, you found a reworded version of the bible. It would be the other 1 cor 6:9's

Parallel Verses
New International Version
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

New Living Translation
Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,

English Standard Version
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

Berean Study Bible
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to nor perform homosexual acts,

Berean Literal Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

New American Standard Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

King James Bible
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Don't you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived: No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, or anyone practicing homosexuality,

International Standard Version
You know that wicked people will not inherit the kingdom of God, don't you? Stop deceiving yourselves! Sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,

NET Bible
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals,

New Heart English Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor men who have sexual relations with men,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Or do you not know that evil men do not inherit The Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; no fornicators, neither worshipers of idols, neither adulterers, neither sexual molesters, neither males lying down with males,

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Don't you know that wicked people won't inherit the kingdom of God? Stop deceiving yourselves! People who continue to commit sexual sins, who worship false gods, those who commit adultery, homosexuals,

New American Standard 1977
Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

Jubilee Bible 2000
Know ye not that the unjust shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor effeminate nor homosexuals

King James 2000 Bible
Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

American King James Version
Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

American Standard Version
Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,

Douay-Rheims Bible
Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers,

Darby Bible Translation
Do ye not know that unrighteous [persons] shall not inherit [the] kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor those who make women of themselves, nor who abuse themselves with men,

English Revised Version
Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,

Webster's Bible Translation
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Weymouth New Testament
Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit God's Kingdom? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime,

World English Bible
Or don't you know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals,

Young's Literal Translation
have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither whoremongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites,

12jtartar

Premium Member
Skwim,
I will show you fe Scriptures to contemplate.
Anyone who truly wants to understand God's feeling about homosexuality can find His thoughts here, Leviticus 20:13, 18:22.
God did not change His feeling when He inspired The Christian Greek Scriptures. Consider 1Corinthians 6:9,10. Notice how homosexual acts are associated with the very worse crimes. 1Timothy 1:9,10. Jude 1:7. Revelation 21:8, 22:15.

Sonofason

Can you give me a verse or something?
Remember the new testament was written in Greek.
Consider the following verse:

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind," 1Corinthians 6:9

Now, the Greek word that was translated to the words I emboldened was "ἀρσενοκοῖται".
Perhaps one might question what this word means. Lets look at the english transliteration of this Greek word. The English transliteration of the Greek word ἀρσενοκοῖται is "arsenokoitai".

Now, I hope we all know what an arse is, and I ope we all know what coitus is. Put them together, and you have sodomy.

Men, do not have sodomy, not with your wife, and not with your boyfriend. When men have commit sodomy with men, they are homosexual and they are abusing themselves with mankind.

If men commit sodomy with women, they are not homosexuals, but they are indeed abusing themselves with mankind, or womankind if you will because they have sodomized them, which is abusing themselves with mankind.

I hope this has been helpful.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Remember the new testament was written in Greek.
Consider the following verse:

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind," 1Corinthians 6:9

Now, the Greek word that was translated to the words I emboldened was "ἀρσενοκοῖται".
Perhaps one might question what this word means. Lets look at the english transliteration of this Greek word. The English transliteration of the Greek word ἀρσενοκοῖται is "arsenokoitai".

Now, I hope we all know what an arse is, and I ope we all know what coitus is. Put them together, and you have sodomy.

Men, do not have sodomy, not with your wife, and not with your boyfriend. When men have commit sodomy with men, they are homosexual and they are abusing themselves with mankind.

If men commit sodomy with women, they are not homosexuals, but they are indeed abusing themselves with mankind, or womankind if you will because they have sodomized them, which is abusing themselves with mankind.

I hope this has been helpful.
No it hasn't. Both because your answer comes from the NT and because my question was not a general question, but directed towards a poster who indicated that David and Nathan were in a homosexual relationship.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Oh, you found a reworded version of the bible. It would be the other 1 cor 6:9's
Reworded from what, your choice of Bible? Why can't your choice of Bible, whatever it is, be a reworded version of the KJV?

Parallel Verses
New International Version
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

New Living Translation
Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,

English Standard Version
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

Berean Study Bible
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to nor perform homosexual acts,

Berean Literal Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

New American Standard Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

King James Bible
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Don't you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived: No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, or anyone practicing homosexuality,

International Standard Version
You know that wicked people will not inherit the kingdom of God, don't you? Stop deceiving yourselves! Sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,

NET Bible
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals,

New Heart English Bible
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor men who have sexual relations with men,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Or do you not know that evil men do not inherit The Kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; no fornicators, neither worshipers of idols, neither adulterers, neither sexual molesters, neither males lying down with males,

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Don't you know that wicked people won't inherit the kingdom of God? Stop deceiving yourselves! People who continue to commit sexual sins, who worship false gods, those who commit adultery, homosexuals,

New American Standard 1977
Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

Jubilee Bible 2000
Know ye not that the unjust shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor effeminate nor homosexuals

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers,

Darby Bible Translation
Do ye not know that unrighteous [persons] shall not inherit [the] kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor those who make women of themselves, nor who abuse themselves with men,

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Weymouth New Testament
Do you not know that unrighteous men will not inherit God's Kingdom? Cherish no delusion here. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor any who are guilty of unnatural crime,

World English Bible
Or don't you know that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't be deceived. Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes, nor homosexuals,

Young's Literal Translation
have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither whoremongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites,

As for the various translations you've presented, which, I assume you believe are all valid. I'll pick the Berean Literal Bible, the New American Standard Bible,the International Standard Version, the GOD'S WORD® Translation, the New American Standard 1977, the Jubilee Bible 2000, or the World English Bible all of which use the word "homosexual" which doesn't denote sexual behavior, just sexual orientation (Just because you may be a heterosexual doesn't mean you have heterosexual sex. Same goes for homosexuals.)
Then there's the Weymouth New Testament and the Douay-Rheims Bible, which don't mention either homosexuals or homosexual acts.

AND You still haven't answered my question: Is it your impression that the only benefit to marriage is that it will allow one into heaven?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Skwim,
I will show you fe Scriptures to contemplate.
Anyone who truly wants to understand God's feeling about homosexuality can find His thoughts here, Leviticus 20:13, 18:22.
Yes I know. What's your point? Neither says he forbids same sex marriage.

God did not change His feeling when He inspired The Christian Greek Scriptures. Consider 1Corinthians 6:9,10. Notice how homosexual acts are associated with the very worse crimes. 1Timothy 1:9,10. Jude 1:7. Revelation 21:8, 22:15.
So what? Do they say god forbids same sex marriage? Boy some of you Christians sure have a hard time sticking to the issue. 116 posts and you still can't find a passage where god explicitly forbids same-sex marriage so you continue to tap dance around it with every little irrelevancy you can find.

Have a good day.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I say who cares about some old backward thinking religion, get out there and enjoy your life, be that homo or whatever, just enjoy your life and let the miserable people live theirs. .

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Reworded from what, your choice of Bible? Why can't your choice of Bible, whatever it is, be a reworded version of the KJV?

As for the various translations you've presented, which, I assume you believe are all valid. I'll pick the Berean Literal Bible, the New American Standard Bible,the International Standard Version, the GOD'S WORD® Translation, the New American Standard 1977, the Jubilee Bible 2000, or the World English Bible all of which use the word "homosexual" which doesn't denote sexual behavior, just sexual orientation (Just because you may be a heterosexual doesn't mean you have heterosexual sex. Same goes for homosexuals.)
Then there's the Weymouth New Testament and the Douay-Rheims Bible, which don't mention either homosexuals or homosexual acts.

AND You still haven't answered my question: Is it your impression that the only benefit to marriage is that it will allow one into heaven?

Which translation makes sense? I mean really what does "abusers of themselves with mankind" mean? Obviously the sensible translation is it's talking about homosexuals

Kelly of the Phoenix

David and Jonathon were a close non-sexual friendship.
So you typically get naked in front of your platonic friends?

Whatever floats your boat...

Notice how homosexual acts are associated with the very worse crimes. 1Timothy 1:9,10. Jude 1:7. Revelation 21:8, 22:15.
It's downright silly to equate homosexuality with the very worst crimes, as it does NOTHING objectively harmful to anyone ...