• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for people who have some aim or purpose in these forums

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Your intentions look friendly to me, but that’s so blatantly false that I’m wondering why you would want to think that about me.
The topics, Brahman Jim, look always the same and like "advertising" into backyards, what ever reason. And for one with eyes it's visible that not a fool/not-smart is acting.

That he does not give much at first place, without not asking from others first, has been noted by others here as well, not only that the red line in his treads are visible.

It remembers on skilled marketing. Why not simply sharing how to promote ones purpose better if really volunatry. At least it would take lesser time then to make such in the backyard individual (just from an economical view, yet not always good for a certain trade or ones product binding).

Sure many would be interested on his purpose, and when asked, he goes astray.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
In another thread I was wondering whether to be embarrassed about my innocence, or to be glad for it. I thought maybe both. Now I’m feeling betrayed by my innocence, but I still don’t regret it.

sealchan

I’m looking for people who have some aim or purpose in posting about religious or anti-religious topics in these forums, that you might possibly be willing to discuss with me. I’m not saying that anyone should, just asking, because that would interest me.

I've used this forum to help me think. I've used it to do Bible study on Genesis and Matthew. I was hoping to finish so that I could write a book but I'm not there yet...got "distracted" by the Mahabharata.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
a critique of my technique?

on guard......
:smile: I don’t understand it well enough to critique it, but I would like to. It intrigues me. What I was thinking was that if you’d like to improve on it, it might help to have some people to talk to about it. I’m volunteering to be one of those people.

A Vestigial Mote

I’m looking for people who have some aim or purpose in posting about religious or anti-religious topics in these forums, that you might possibly be willing to discuss with me. I’m not saying that anyone should, just asking, because that would interest me.
In non-internet life, face-to-face interactions, I notice all sorts of instances of what I consider to be poor modes of thinking. People asserting things or wholeheartedly believing things (to the point that they merely state something, expecting you to be 100% on-board with their ideas) without proper warrant, and with what I believe to be a very passive acceptance of their thoughts as valid without having thought about them very deeply. This includes things such as racism, poor treatment of children, conspiracy theorizing, flaunting certain behaviors that would prove the person extremely foolish and even possibly evil to the vast majority of the rest of humanity, and, of course, religious preaching and proselytizing. The latter, in recent years, has become much more mild, and the people who I experience proselytizing have, for the most part, stopped trying to be so aggressive with it - though I still run into the oddball now and again who will do something like tell me I am going to hell, or at least strongly hint at it.

Anyway, I noticed that in these "real life" situations, people will shy away from, or superficially acquiesce to points I make, or leave conversations altogether, apparently writing me off for some of the ideas I share with them. In other words, I don't get very deeply into a conversation with people where I am attempting to question their stance and point out what I feel are the flaws in it, before they are running away, or employing tactics to try and discredit me or perform some other style of escape.

On the internet, however, because it is anonymous, people are more willing to go further into things a bit - even if they ultimately end up employing some of the same tactics of escape - it is usually deeper into the conversation, and more gets said more easily and freely. So that is why I come here, or to forums in general. To release some of the tension that builds up in not being able to question and critique people's ideas, and try to get them to see what I believe are the errors in certain modes of thinking. To hone my ability to quickly come back at people with analogies, or thought exercises or examples that lay bare such flaws. And to also correct my own thinking if there are things I am currently in acceptance of for which I do not have sufficient warrant. For example, I have changed my mind in certain ways on such topics as abortion and veganism/vegetarianism based on conversations here, changing my positions to more moderate ones that encompass more rational acceptance of fact, rather than any gut reactions to what I believe is "right" or "wrong."

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Of course my other main aim is to provide a balance to your atheistic Hinduism.
I like that, Brahman Vinayaka. I would feel so lonely without you .. without corrections. :D
.. but I'm not there yet .. got "distracted" by the Mahabharata.
Hindus do not keep Mahabharata in their homes, it is supposed to start Mahabharata in their homes. They are advised to keep Srimad Bhagawat Purana in their homes. :D

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
Thank you. Would you be willing to discuss with me your strategies for learning, and what you’ve learned?
Modernity is:
culturally inculturated animism.
Its not substainable, its umhealthy and its outcome is a breakdown. Just like a mental patient spinning into itself.

No, i will not discuss it here. The only reason i came here is to examine the patient.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
:smile: I don’t understand it well enough to critique it, but I would like to. It intrigues me. What I was thinking was that if you’d like to improve on it, it might help to have some people to talk to about it. I’m volunteering to be one of those people.
the give and take is what I do here at the forum

I am working through what I believe

doing the same with others

as well as those who resist believing

I suspect.....this same activity fills our time in heaven
multiplied by billions of souls

Jim

Nets of Wonder
the give and take is what I do here at the forum

I am working through what I believe

doing the same with others

as well as those who resist believing

I suspect.....this same activity fills our time in heaven
multiplied by billions of souls
The first few times that I read some posts of yours, my first impression was that you were trying to look enigmatic without there really being anything behind it. I don’t think that any more. :) I’m wondering now, if I can’t make any sense out of what you’re saying, I could just ask, and maybe you would tell me?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like that, Brahman Vinayaka. I would feel so lonely without you .. without corrections. :DHindus do not keep Mahabharata in their homes, it is supposed to start Mahabharata in their homes. They are advised to keep Srimad Bhagawat Purana in their homes. :D

I am no Brahmin. Didn't know that about Mahabharata ... so how do people read it, from libraries?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The first few times that I read some posts of yours, my first impression was that you were trying to look enigmatic without there really being anything behind it. I don’t think that any more. :) I’m wondering now, if I can’t make any sense out of what you’re saying, I could just ask, and maybe you would tell me?
ok.....technique can be a pry bar too heavy to pick up

gotta have some strength to start with

and even if you can lift the steel
do you have what it takes to apply it?

theology is much the same

looking for that pivot point
find the tool to wedge into it
and then the strength to move the stone

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The only reason i came here is to examine the patient.
You mean, to these forums, or to this thread? Both? Whoever the patient is, is there anything else that the doctor is willing to tell the patient, about their condition?

David T

Premium Member
You mean, to these forums, or to this thread? Both? Whoever the patient is, is there anything else that the doctor is willing to tell the patient, about their condition?

Well i havnt said anything new. It was observed in ancient culture as well. Culturally incultrated animism was seen as a severe bane of disconnect that culture tends to manifest.

In a CIA period, it will automatically golden calf the golden calf. We see it all the time here. "the bible says" thats an inculturated animism where the object, whether it be a religous text or a science text takes on characteristics that are animating nature.

This is a culture very deeply lost in its own creations. Including the bible religious texts and its science texts.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
ok.....technique can be a pry bar too heavy to pick up

gotta have some strength to start with

and even if you can lift the steel
do you have what it takes to apply it?

theology is much the same

looking for that pivot point
find the tool to wedge into it
and then the strength to move the stone
I try not to have any beliefs. My views about God and religion are continually evolving. In one forum last year I went from wavering between two Gods and one, to anytheism, to apatheism, in a few days, and it’s changed again once or twice since then.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
If you’d like to be able to do it better, and if you think it could help to have people to talk to about that, I’m volunteering to be one of them. Only, I don’t really know how to go about it. Have you already done some thinking about how to do better?