1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Looking For A Smart Atheist

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Earthling, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Good point. How about them?

2. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Sure. Everyone is welcome. It's a public forum.

Why would we have to conclude that?

I'm not seeing the sense in that.

3. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Interesting.

Ok, tell me what you think about Genesis 3:17-18 and Isaiah 34:13.

4. ImmortalFlame

ImmortalFlame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,007
    If God provided all the world's plants to eat, including those that you listed (some of which do have poisonous properties), and we include them in that list, then we must also include poisonous ones.

Could you be more specific? What doesn't make sense?

5. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
  6. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Tricky. I don't want to give it away too soon, so What do you think about these verses that I just posted, probably as you were making this post. Genesis 3:17-18 and Isaiah 34:13

First, I didn't see your work. No basis for your conclusion that God gave things for humans to eat that are harmful, and as for the additional question it just didn't make any sense to me. I don't think that your explaining or elaborating would help because I don't think you are headed in the right direction.

Tell me what you think when we conclude this.

7. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    Uh-huh. They say hindsight is 20/20 but I don't find that necessarily so.

8. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
    Neolithic Diets | Our Everyday Life

Neolithic Diets

The Natufians became dependent on wheat and barley, so when environmental conditions declined, some began the process of domesticating crops. In the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A period from 8,300 to 7,500 B.C., the ancients planted crops of wheat and barley and adopted other vegetation, including chickpeas

snip

Around 9,000 B.C., the climate in the Middle East, where the Neolithic culture was centered, transitioned from cold and dry to an agriculture-friendly warm, humid and mild.

As a result, a new abundance of wild cereals, including wheat and barley, nut trees and wild game became available to the pre-Neolithic hunter-gathers referred to by archaeologists as Natufians.

The Natufians began to set up permanent camps as produce became readily available and with good reason. Barley, for instance, is a complex carbohydrate that offers essential nutrients, including folate, fiber and potassium.

A nut available to the Natufians -- pistachios -- is a rich source of heart-healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats and vitamin A. Let your meals be inspired by the Natufians: Enjoy a hot bowl of cream of wheat for breakfast, a salad with pistachios for lunch and beef and barley stew for dinner.

continued

Neolithic Diets

9. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, archaeologist have found some stone granaries that are 11,000 years old. One of these ancient granaries is in Jordan.... and they know the Natufians were in Jericho as well most likely because of the spring there.

10. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I'm likely much more open-minded than I thought, then, since I'm INCREDIBLY open-minded here, for example, giving atheists numerous chances to rethink their untenable positions. Of course, I'm also modest. :)

11. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    How do they determine 11,000 years? And did you ever answer my question of why you're a Christian? You don't believe in the supernatural, so that rules out a creator god. You don't believe the Bible is real, so why bother calling yourself Christian? I just find it curious.

To me it would be like making a religion of Aesop's fables.

12. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh the Bible is real.. Its basically a teaching narrative about the history and origins of the Jews. Aesop's Fables is also real.

Archaeologist use a number of methods to date something .. Let me see if I can find an article that explains the process.

13. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
  14. ImmortalFlame

Ratings:
    +4,007
    You said that God gave humans "every plant for food" and assumed that there were "no exceptions", so this - as well as including the plants you listed which can and do have poisonous properties - must necessarily mean he gave us poisonous plants to eat, too. If you want to change the terms and indicate that God didn't gives us all plants to eat, but only some of them, you'd have to find some way to distinguish between the ones intended to be eaten or not intended to be eaten, in which case you'd be answering your own query.

Not much, just that the Bible is a little vague in this area and that, even if we determine a very specific interpretation, we can still draw multiple conclusions as to God's possible intentions.

Maybe I'll have a look at the other verses soon.

15. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,944
    Religion:
    Christian
  16. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,426
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
    it's a sticky, prickly situation. the earth is cursed, the body, the tree of judgement creates a closed minded, or dead end result

here in then is the tree of life

Psalm 1:3
    And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

so again, it is all about a state of mind, or metapsychology.

#176 Fool, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  17. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    What existed outside of the garden that wasn't inside the garden? What, botanically speaking, was a result of Adam's sin?

Nothing wrong with that. Consider all of the possibilities.

18. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +756
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    What about the possibility of error? What would the margin of error be? How far off might they have been?

19. charlie sc

charlie sc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Religion:
    Atheism
    Honestly, I have no idea what those passages mean.

20. ImmortalFlame

Ratings:
    +4,007
    Now I fear I'm being drawn into more complex theological waters that are only best answered by God themselves, if they can. Do you believe the plants you listed were in the garden?