• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a new faith!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a former fundamentalist Christian who deconverted because of issues that relate specifically to Christianity: an eternal Hell, lack of evidence for the resurrection, the trinity not making sense, rigidness and conspiracies, and so on. I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart. What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?

Hard to say because this is very limited information to go on.

I would guess some form of monotheism, likely Abrahamic. Not sure if there's an existing religion within the Abrahamic paradigm that would meet all of your beliefs, though. I'll defer to some of the non-messianic Abrahamics here.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm a former fundamentalist Christian who deconverted because of issues that relate specifically to Christianity: an eternal Hell, lack of evidence for the resurrection, the trinity not making sense, rigidness and conspiracies, and so on. I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart. What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?
Depending on whether you believe in reincarnation or not I would probably say some kind of Hinduism.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe in reseurrection of the dead, and i think some groups of Islam do too. So you probably want to steer clear of those.

I have all of your beliefs except for the idea that God is inside of creation. I just call myself an Abrahamic liberal, and though you are welcome to use the term if it suits you, I must warn you that it is not well defined enough to be considered a religion, as liberalism has no orthodoxy.

Hawkins

It's your own life and your own call. I don't think that anyone is a position to give any good advice. Your future is right in your own hands.

Religion is more about a future unreachable by humans. Only through a God you can get to the info. If you have to rely on your intelligence (instead of faith) to make a decision on a future, then so be it. But to me, human intelligence itself is quite laughable. Because Einstein failed to comprehend quantum physics such that one makes a decision to leave science as a whole. That doesn't sound even logical.

A Vestigial Mote

There have to be others who find it strange that someone might go "belief shopping." Asking which religion best matches up to your beliefs seems very much to me like someone looking at a line-up of fiction books and asking "which of these am I going to pretend represents reality?" In other words, if you are on the outside of a bunch of religions all "lined up" before you - then you must necessarily understand that not all of them, and possibly none of them, comport with reality. So to simply "choose" one that most closely matches your mores/beliefs/desires-for-spirituality/etc., and then simply adopt all of the mythology that comes along with it and very possibly go around talking as if it were all true... I don't know... seems completely bizarre.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Firstly, why are you looking for a new faith? What is it that you are looking to get through one? If you look seriously at that question, then maybe you can find that need in other ways that don't require conforming to a whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't necessarily fit you.

For instance, my background and beliefs sound very similar to yours. One of the major things that was lost in leaving behind that brand of Christian religion that I did, was socialization. Being part of a group, created a sense of family. Once I chose to leave that, that was also gone. But I've found that getting together a couple times a week for Tai Chi practice with others from the same studio gives that same sense of social ritual that regular church attendance gave.

But I think what makes it more like "going to church" sort of feel is that we are all there with the same intention of self-transcendence. That's what "church" was for me, while for others, not so much so. With Tai Chi, everyone there is there for self-development. It's not dependent on you converting to a religion. That's not the only replacement in my life for organized religion, but it's an example of one major area.

Starting with what you feel you need for your own growth and development spiritually, will help refine your focus. And that question in itself is part of your path.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The only way is to read the Bible and determine what the Bible says and then try to find a faith based on the Word of Yahweh. Otherwise, you are wasting your time. Again, it is pointless coming up with your own ideas and trying to get religion to fit around you.

You said religious life comes from purifying the heart. I can't see your heart, but what would a clean heart do. No one in the right mind would tell Yahweh how they want to serve Him and what they want to believe. He has already made that abundantly clear in the Bible.
I used to try to find God this way as prescribed by that particular train of religious thought, but I've come to realize in practice things work much better like in this illustration below. What we bring with us into reading scriptures, determines what we hear being said in it.

love and scripture.jpg

JeremK

I guess I'll respond a bit more now! Gonna try to knock out a lot in one response.

I'm looking for a religion, not spirituality. My reasoning is that I want to join a religion that will help me get close to God, while also not betraying my own beliefs about God, as outlined in the original post. I figure that, well, if God is real, then he certainly would have left us some religions that know something about how to love him, right? That's the sole reasoning here- I'm not planning on becoming a dogmatist again.

The Belief-O-Matic said that I was 100% Bahai, 98% Sikh, and Orthodox Judaism and Islam followed right behind. So, clearly, this is where I should look. I'm actually pretty interested in all of these religions, but it's also reached a point where I don't really think I can make a "wrong" choice (at least, not wrong enough to warrant fearing my own salvation), which soothes the anxiety I used to feel as a Christian a lot.

Furthermore, this is a very old account of mine. You may be thinking, well, don't you believe in Zen? This account is really outdated, and the last time I used it before this post was before I became Christian. I would very much like to leave Christianity behind as a whole, quite frankly, no offense to any Christians who have responded to me. Those rites of blasphemy seem a bit complex and lengthy, but I have been trying to think to myself things like "Jesus was just a man." They've been helping with that remaining psychological fear. :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

1) Why choose another faith. Where will you find more love of God than in Jesus Christ? Why not be an atheist?

2) In my experience (as the Bible says) no one deconverts, deep down, for theology, but for immorality. What are you doing that the Bible forbids but that is okay in another faith/New Age faith?

3) I sincerely wish you good luck in your search, but IMHO, a search for truth will always lead to Jesus. I see the trinity making sense and far less rigidness, etc. as you wrote than you do.

Messianic Israelite

Good lord, no. Why would I? Why would you assume everyone alive is depraved to that level if they don't look at scripture the way you do?

Why would you come up with that example? Would you do that to an animal if it weren't for your religion preventing you? That's worrisome to the rest of us, if that's the only thing holding you back?

Any child knows what love is, without someone telling them what it is. They experience it. It's show to them through the actions of others, not through theological treatises. Didn't you know what love was, until someone in a religion came along and read it to you out of a book with an explanation behind it?

In a classroom? In a bible study group? You don't know innately what love is without that?

I view the Word, as the living Spirit of God. Not ink on paper.

Which was the point of the illustration.

Hi Windwalker. I used that example because it needs to be taught to some people what love is. True love that is. They are some people who are adamant they are in love with one of their animals or pets, and that they love them. Another example I could have given is homosexuality. I don't know what that is all about, but it's not love. But I dread to think what this world would be like if it hadn't had the Bible. I would think it would have been destroyed a long time ago.

Windwalker. You say that every child knows what love is, but I don't think that's true. Love has to be taught. Children from a young age can be taught to do evil, or to do good. It's as simple as that. Look at some of the feral children cases. Children must be taught the right way and they can be taught by education, or by example. I see you alluded to 2 Corinthians 3:3. I believe in following the Spirit also, but our Savior was the most loving person that ever walked this earth and he kept the commandments. Those laws written on paper. That's because true love comes from keeping the commandments. Yahweh is love. His love is expressed in those commandments.

Vee

Premium Member
What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?

Normally when people join a religion they are the ones who adapt to the beliefs of that religion, not the other way around.
The only advice I can give you is to research and study. Keep learning so you can make an educated decision instead of quickly joining whatever looks good, only to be disappointed some time later.

syo

I believe in one God, who is completely perfect in every way and is imminent both out and inside of creation. I believe that everyone will be saved and that the religious life fundamentally comes from purifying the heart. What is a religion that may fit my beliefs?
I think, all religions believe that. Pick whichever religion you like. There are plenty. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I took this test myself...

Turns out my preferred religion is Liberal Quakerism.

The follow up religions don't seem to fit though:
91% Unitarian Universalism
90% Mahayana Buddhism]
87% Taoism
84% Reformed Judaism
82% Liberal Christian Protestantism
82% Neo-Paganism
77% Sikhism
77% Atheism
70% Conservative Christian Protestant
70% Theravada Buddhism
70% Secular Humanism

The religion I am least compatible with ironically is Jehovah's Witnesses :tearsofjoy:

I've come up UU the last couple times I've taken it. I don't know too much about Quakers but they seem like lovely people overall.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting quiz, some of my answers were best fit and didn’t properly represent my beliefs.

100% Bahá'í Faith
93% Reformed Judaism
90% Sikhism
85% New Thought
84% Scientology
84% Liberal Quakerism
81% Neo-Paganism
79% Jainism
79% Islam
78% Liberal Christian Protestantism
77% Church of Christ, Scientist
72% Hinduism
72% Unitarian Universalism
70% Mahayana Buddhism

Having some knowledge and experience of the different religions I’d be comfortable with Reform Judaism, Quakerism, Islam, liberal Christianity, Hinduism, Unitarian Universalism, Mahayana Buddhism and Catholicism. There are some religions above I definitely wouldn’t be comfortable with.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I'll respond a bit more now! Gonna try to knock out a lot in one response.

I'm looking for a religion, not spirituality. My reasoning is that I want to join a religion that will help me get close to God, while also not betraying my own beliefs about God, as outlined in the original post. I figure that, well, if God is real, then he certainly would have left us some religions that know something about how to love him, right? That's the sole reasoning here- I'm not planning on becoming a dogmatist again.

The Belief-O-Matic said that I was 100% Bahai, 98% Sikh, and Orthodox Judaism and Islam followed right behind. So, clearly, this is where I should look. I'm actually pretty interested in all of these religions, but it's also reached a point where I don't really think I can make a "wrong" choice (at least, not wrong enough to warrant fearing my own salvation), which soothes the anxiety I used to feel as a Christian a lot.

Furthermore, this is a very old account of mine. You may be thinking, well, don't you believe in Zen? This account is really outdated, and the last time I used it before this post was before I became Christian. I would very much like to leave Christianity behind as a whole, quite frankly, no offense to any Christians who have responded to me. Those rites of blasphemy seem a bit complex and lengthy, but I have been trying to think to myself things like "Jesus was just a man." They've been helping with that remaining psychological fear. :)
As a practical next step why not make contact with some of these communities where you live and hang out with members of these faiths both in person and online? In that way you can ensure which of these faiths is the best fit. Also explore what the sacred scriptures or writings of these faiths have to say about each of the issues that concerns you? Its good to narrow the field somewhat but you need first hand experience with a faith to ensure its what your looking for.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Well done you, personally I would go with the 100%, it is inclusive of all the writings seen in a different frame of reference! :D;) One could choose to help build communities, you would be very busy and content. Of course completely IMHO

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting quiz, some of my answers were best fit and didn’t properly represent my beliefs.

100% Bahá'í Faith
93% Reformed Judaism
90% Sikhism
85% New Thought
84% Scientology
84% Liberal Quakerism
81% Neo-Paganism
79% Jainism
79% Islam
72% Hinduism
70% Mahayana Buddhism

Having some knowledge and experience of the different religions I’d be comfortable with Reform Judaism, Quakerism, Islam, liberal Christianity, Hinduism, Unitarian Universalism, Mahayana Buddhism and Catholicism. There are some religions above I definitely wouldn’t be comfortable with.

I guess where I went wrong is, if it did not fit, I did not answer it :)

Well done you. I must try again and go for the best Fit answer :)

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess where I went wrong is, if it did not fit, I did not answer it :)

Well done you. I must try again and go for the best Fit answer :)

Regards Tony
Personally I wouldn’t be running to Belief-O-Matic to assess my spiritual progress or how authentically a Baha’i I really am:D

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

100% Bahá'í Faith
93% Reformed Judaism
90% Sikhism
85% New Thought
84% Scientology
84% Liberal Quakerism
81% Neo-Paganism
79% Jainism
79% Islam
72% Hinduism
70% Mahayana Buddhism

Ha Ha - It was worse - There is just not Answers that I would use! I do not know how they pull out Baha'i with a lot of those question?
100% Unitarian Universalism
83% Bahá'í Faith
77% Reformed Judaism
71% Liberal Quakerism
67% Sikhism
67% New Thought
64% Liberal Christian Protestantism
64% Orthodox Quakerism
63% Hinduism
63% Jainism
63% Scientology
59% Church of Christ, Scientist