• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life On Other Planets?

w00t

There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that there isn't intelligent life on other planets.

How would it effect your faith if you discovered that not only are there intelligent aliens out there, but they have never heard of the concept of religion, and have discovered scientifically how the universe was formed?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have actually thought of that. I am an avid watcher of Star Trek (almost all the the different series). That is a fiction show, but it does show possibilities. I doubt it would change my faith, but I wouldn't really know for sure if it did happen. :)

w00t

I have actually thought of that. I am an avid watcher of Star Trek (almost all the the different series). That is a fiction show, but it does show possibilities. I doubt it would change my faith, but I wouldn't really know for sure if it did happen. :)

I was a great fan of the first Star Trek series, I fancied Mr Spock!:D

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wouldn't really affect my beliefs much at all. But then, my view of divinity is drastically different than a lot of people's.

Somkid

Buddhist texts suggest it would only be logical that there is life else where as elsewhere is much bigger than here.

logician

Finding other life would only affirm my beliefs, although personally I think the "intelligent" life may be quite a rare commodity in our galaxy, if not the universe. The reason I say this is that we have found no evidence of alien civilizations, even though the universe is billions of years old, and many alien civilizations could have evolved in that time period. One would think that at least one would have left evidence of itself somewhere along the line, but who knows, only time will tell.

cardero

Citizen Mod
There is nothing in the Bible to suggest that there isn't intelligent life on other planets.

How would it effect your faith if you discovered that not only are there intelligent aliens out there, but they have never heard of the concept of religion, and have discovered scientifically how the universe was formed?

When I was younger and I studied with the Jehovah Witnesses, I brought up the question of why there weren't any references to other-worldly life in the Bible and they told me that if it wasn't in the Bible it wasn't a concern for humans. One of the most important questions to humankind of any century (next to the inquiry of the existence of GOD) is whether we are alone in the universe and how this discovery will effect our current understanding of what we know about ourselves, our beliefs and what relationship we would like to encourage with these BEings if they do exist.

Though the Bible is not littered with announcements of scientific facts and revelations, I believe the Bible to be an important and effective book on the early history of other-worldy intervention, a book that in many ways parallels our current understanding of religion and the UFO phenomenon.

rojse

RF Addict

A better question might be if they had a totally different world-view on religion, not merely an atheistic perspective.

Super Universe

Defender of God

Intelligent aliens who have never heard of the concept of religion? Uh, then they wouldn't be very intelligent, now would they?

Everything out there is way ahead of us. We're the newest thing.

Once a species reaches a certain point of understanding of how the universe works the existence of God is proven. God does not have to do anything. At that point, religion and science become one.

w00t

Intelligent aliens who have never heard of the concept of religion? Uh, then they wouldn't be very intelligent, now would they?

Once a species reaches a certain point of understanding of how the universe works the existence of God is proven. God does not have to do anything. At that point, religion and science become one.

If aliens were more intelligent than humans they might have moved on from the primitive need to create God!

rojse

RF Addict

What if those aliens found us? Wouldn't this be evidence that they are far superior to us, because they were able to devote the time, resources, and staff into building a ship capable of reaching us?

And before you make a judgment about them being unintelligent because they have no religious beleifs, you do not even know what technologies they might have developed that we cannot even imagine, let alone consider building.

cardero

Citizen Mod
What if those aliens found us? Wouldn't this be evidence that they are far superior to us, because they were able to devote the time, resources, and staff into building a ship capable of reaching us?

And before you make a judgment about them being unintelligent because they have no religious beleifs, you do not even know what technologies they might have developed that we cannot even imagine, let alone consider building.
From what I researched about the phenomenon, this may be exactly the reason that the government may be with-holding the evidence against other-worldly life. There are two scenerios for doing this and one was mentioned in this thread.

If aliens (I prefer to think of them as foreigners) possess this great technology they may also possess the truth about there being no GOD or the truth that there is a GOD but one doesn’t need GOD. These other-worldly entities do not practice faith or religion. If any of these two scenerios do come to light the ramifications of this knowledge would be devasting to our society. This topic was discussed in detail on RF before and it would seem that there were some people who were quite upset and disturbed at the fact that there could possibly exist other entities who were smarter than humans. Can you imagine if these entities were also spiritually advanced BEings?

Imagine everything one has ever known about GOD to be false and/or non-existent. I do not think that there are many people who would be prepared to surrender their previous beliefs peacefully.

w00t

From what I researched about the phenomenon, this may be exactly the reason that the government may be with-holding the evidence against other-worldly life. There are two scenerios for doing this and one was mentioned in this thread.

If aliens (I prefer to think of them as foreigners) possess this great technology they may also possess the truth about there being no GOD or the truth that there is a GOD but one doesn’t need GOD. These other-worldly entities do not practice faith or religion. If any of these two scenerios do come to light the ramifications of this knowledge would be devasting to our society. This topic was discussed in detail on RF before and it would seem that there were some people who were quite upset and disturbed at the fact that there could possibly exist other entities who were smarter than humans. Can you imagine if these entities were also spiritually advanced BEings?

Imagine everything one has ever known about GOD to be false and/or non-existent. I do not think that there are many people who would be prepared to surrender their previous beliefs peacefully.

That is an old chestnut which lacks any credibility imo! The world's media wouldn't be silenced if they had such a good story. No Government could keep it under wraps for long!

JamBar85

Master Designer

I disagree with that.

I don't think that humans are the supreme being of everything. We might be but I think that the universe is too big.

I think that there is a lot of knowledge beyond what the human race knows. i don't think we as a race know everything.

It just seems to me that it would be an awful waste of space if we were the only living things in the universe.