• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Libya's Gaddafi urges jihad against Switzerland

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi called on Thursday for a "jihad" or armed struggle against Switzerland, saying it was an infidel state that was destroying mosques.

"Any Muslim in any part of the world who works with Switzerland is an apostate, is against (the Prophet) Mohammad, God and the Koran," Gaddafi said during a meeting in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi to mark the Prophet's birthday.

"The masses of Muslims must go to all airports in the Islamic world and prevent any Swiss plane landing, to all harbors and prevent any Swiss ships docking, inspect all shops and markets to stop any Swiss goods being sold," Gaddafi said.

The Swiss Foreign Ministry said it had no comment on Gaddafi's remarks.

Libya's relations with Switzerland broke down in 2008 when a son of Gaddafi was arrested in a Geneva hotel and charged with abusing domestic servants.

He was released shortly afterwards and the charges were dropped, but Libya cut oil supplies to Switzerland, withdrew billions of dollars from Swiss bank accounts and arrested two Swiss businessmen working in the North African country.

One has been released but the other was forced this week to leave the Swiss embassy in Tripoli where he had been sheltering and move to a prison to serve a four-month sentence, apparently avoiding a major confrontation.

Libya says the Geneva arrest and the case of the two businessmen are not linked.

"Let us fight against Switzerland, Zionism and foreign aggression," said Gaddafi, adding that "this is not terrorism," in contrast with the work of al Qaeda which he called a "kind of crime and a psychological disease."

"There is a big difference between terrorism and jihad which is a right to armed struggle," he said.

Gaddafi accused Switzerland of being an "infidel, obscene state which is destroying mosques," in reference to a Swiss referendum verdict barring construction of minarets.

He called for a "jihad against it with all means."

Gaddafi was speaking before leading prayers in a Benghazi square in the presence of envoys from dozens of Muslim countries.

Swiss nationals voted 57.5 percent in favor of the minaret ban in the November 29 referendum backed by the right-wing Swiss People's Party. The federal government had urged voters to reject it, warning it would contravene religious freedom.

(Reporting by Salah Sarrar; Writing by Tom Pfeiffer; Editing by Diana Abdallah)

Source: Libya's Gaddafi urges jihad against Switzerland | Reuters

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
What an idiot.

This is senseless inciting of violence. People this rediculous need to be shot. As if the west wasn't wary enough of the "threat" of Islam.

Snowber

100's if not over a thousand years ago "wars" may have been called for.

We live in an age where knowledge reigns supreme, soon enough (GOD willing) the old and ignorant will die off and people will have to resort to intellectual debates rather than swords and guns.

Though I'm sure killing will never end, it's a start. This only reflects the ignorance in the traditional Muslim world, these so called "Muslims" have upheld stories and sayings rather than the Quran as GOD commanded. Thanks for the story.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
If he hadn't access to guns I wonder would anyone take him seriously?
But that is the main point, isnt it? when you have questionable people who run countries and who have a history of financing in international terrorism, sometimes you are forced to follow and observe them.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
Libya's relations with Switzerland broke down in 2008 when a son of Gaddafi was arrested in a Geneva hotel and charged with abusing domestic servants.

He was released shortly afterwards and the charges were dropped, but Libya cut oil supplies to Switzerland, withdrew billions of dollars from Swiss bank accounts and arrested two Swiss businessmen working in the North African country.http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61O53820100225
The man is nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland-Libya_conflict

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
But that is the main point, isnt it? when you have questionable people who run countries and who have a history of financing in international terrorism, sometimes you are forced to follow and observe them.
I agree.
Non-violence is the solution :)

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
Ah, now I understand.....It seems a personal problem, most of his attitudes are based on his failure in solving his personal problems, so no sane person should take him seriously!!!!

kai

ragamuffin
ah a call to " Jihad" from the self styled King of Africa, would almost be comical if there wasn't people out there who could very possibly agree with him.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
100's if not over a thousand years ago "wars" may have been called for.

We live in an age where knowledge reigns supreme, soon enough (GOD willing) the old and ignorant will die off and people will have to resort to intellectual debates rather than swords and guns.

Though I'm sure killing will never end, it's a start. This only reflects the ignorance in the traditional Muslim world, these so called "Muslims" have upheld stories and sayings rather than the Quran as GOD commanded. Thanks for the story.
Gadaffi calls for Jihad against those who might see Islam in a negative light. Well, it’s a role right up his alley - that man has a history of megalomania and had once seen himself as the Caliph of the Muslim world and maybe still does. But what about you, dear Snowber? Though you seem to be striking a liberal pose when you talk of intellectual debates, you appear to have foreclosed anything else being right except what is written in the Quran. This is what I gather when you describe your religion as “Koran Alone Muslim”. Please tell me in what way a “Quran only Muslim” is more liberal than other Muslims. I suspect they are even more dogmatic.