• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberals: Does what Jesus said matter to you?

SinSaber

You say Christ said nothing about sexuality and there’s no sin. However, when Christ says he is the only way to salvation, you say there are many ways to heaven.

Which is it? Does Christ’s words matter or not?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You say Christ said nothing about sexuality and there’s no sin. However, when Christ says he is the only way to salvation, you say there are many ways to heaven.
The #1 issue is how people treat one another. I would never say there were many ways to heaven for individuals as we cease to be when we enter Christ. Suggesting that individuals enter heaven is counter to Christs teaching I think, probably something projected onto the Bible. Its cute to imagine individuals in heaven, but it makes no sense. Consider that from the beginning baptism is into a name and a denial of self. The self cannot enter heaven, is fallen, is of the flesh. Consider that Paul says to the baptized that they are currently seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. The implication is that outside of Christ they are not, so whatever is not Christ is not. There are not many ways to heaven, and there are no individuals going. Obviously sexual promiscuity is a waste of time and a selfish pursuit.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You say Christ said nothing about sexuality and there’s no sin.
I've never known anyone to say that.

The people you seem to be referring to prioritize what Jesus is quoted as saying, such as Mt 22: 37-40, over OT commandments that seem directed at the ancient Israelites, not applicable to the modern situation.

Unfortunately, their are people who will pick and choose parts of the Bible to support bad things that they already believe, like racism and homophobia.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Unfortunately, their are people who will pick and choose parts of the Bible to support bad things that they already believe, like racism and homophobia.
It's probably good they do so we don't see a legal push to execute homosexuals, rebellious teenagers, and non-virgin women on their wedding night.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What matters is what you take from it yourself. People always read stuff to fit their worldviews. What do the words mean to you in yours? That's the more liberal approach. You judge yourself.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is what came to me when I considered the OP. Care to clarify?
  • conflating politics and religion
  • assuming that someone's politics necessarily dictate their religion
  • ignoring political liberals and conservatives who follow other religions or none at all,
  • interpreting what the Bible asserts Jesus said
  • assuming that we should take what is written literally or not
  • assuming that all liberals (and all conservatives) think alike

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Liberals: Does what Jesus said matter to you?

No.

I don't find that life or message especially exemplary, appealing or useful. The words attributed to Jesus are mostly theological, which is also a dead end for me. Those that might have been said by an atheist are not particularly useful to me either. Those which I would agree with, I came to by other routes.

Can somebody please explain to me why I should love an enemy, turn my other cheek to an aggressor, or consider the meek exalted?

The most an enemy should hope for is that I don't carry a grudge or attempt to exact revenge.

If you smite my cheek, the most you should hope for is that I try to negotiate a peace or walk away. I won't offer access to my other cheek.

And what is so honorable about being a doormat? Sure, humble is great. Polite is great. Willing to cooperate, compromise, or not impose oneself on others are all honorable.

But meekness is spinelessness. Meekness is failing to stand up for yourself.

For those familiar with the movie Office Space, Milton, the overweight and vision challenged character who got pushed into the basement, fired without being told, and had his stapler stolen, was meek. Where is the blessedness in that existence?

socharlie

"to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." Col. 1:27
Spark of True God lives in humans , this spark is our guide to the Kingdom. This is only one way that leads to heaven but there many ways that lead to the spark.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For those familiar with the movie Office Space, Milton, the overweight and vision challenged character who got pushed into the basement, fired without being told, and had his stapler stolen, was meek. Where is the blessedness in that existence?

Maybe he exists for the same reason God put the apple tree in the Garden of Eden. He's there to test others and see if they sin or not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Would you ask the same thing of conservative capitalists and Christ's words about money?

danieldemol

Premium Member
You say Christ said nothing about sexuality and there’s no sin.
Citation required
However, when Christ says he is the only way to salvation, you say there are many ways to heaven.

Part of being liberal as opposed to fundamentalist is that one is not tied down to agreeing 100% with any particular person, even if one has a high degree of agreement with that person.

David T

Premium Member
I assume you mean liberal Christians. I could tell you what liberal non-Christians may think, but that's probably not what you're searching for.

As John Hodgman is known to say, specificity is the soul of narrative.
Is that a narrative of narrative?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Do I have to worship Jesus or John?

Sometimes I get confused. Some Christians don't seem to know who the supposed Messiah is.

I believe in the Way. Who is talking about the Way is irrelevant.

Does Christ’s words matter or not?
The gospels show Jesus thought the apostles were morons, who were later given authority over the church. Why do that? Jesus supposedly thought they didn't listen to and understand him at all. Why are they then to be trusted to give us Jesus' message?

And what is so honorable about being a doormat? Sure, humble is great. Polite is great. Willing to cooperate, compromise, or not impose oneself on others are all honorable.
Yeah, I can see that. The meek are to inherit the earth, but which of them will be able to take the prize? They're too meek to cash in. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It’s not about citing Jesus as an authority to us; it’s about pointing out your hipocrisy.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Bottom line...............
Do you believe in freedom of choice?
Do you believe in freedom?

You see? You're probably a Liberal, but either don't know it or don't dare show it.
:)