• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leviticus and Homosexuality

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
People like yourself can stand at a distance and cast a critical eye, along with condescension, but then many people are victims of ignorance and are labouring under a complete misconception as to what the Bible actually says, compared to what they think it says. (Those who actually care that is) This is why a knowledge of the whole Bible, including the pictorial parts, is necessary.

“You must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing.”

Or as the Complete Jewish Bible renders it...

Leviticus 18:22 RY: iv, LY: vii “‘You are not to go to bed with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination."

Can you make this verse say something else? Is that graphic enough?

If you have done any research on the conduct of the Canaanites, you will know that depraved sexual practices were common in that land...the very land that was gifted to the Israelites, and they were told to not only evict these bad tenants, but warned not to adopt their ways....

Leviticus 18:24, 25....“‘Do not make yourselves unclean by any of these things, for it is by all these things that the nations that I am driving out from before you have made themselves unclean. 25 Therefore, the land is unclean, and I will bring punishment on it for its error, and the land will vomit its inhabitants out.

According to one source...

"Evidence indicates that Canaanites lived in morbid dread of their priests. Marriages and families were shattered by their practices, and the unwanted children of these unions were often slaughtered on altars to Baal or Dagon. Sexually transmitted disease was likely epidemic; rape was perhaps as common as it is in the worst of today's war-ravaged nations. According to Merrill F. Unger: “Excavations in Palestine have uncovered piles of ashes and remains of infant skeletons in cemeteries around heathen altars, pointing to the widespread practice of this cruel abomination.” (Archaeology and the Old Testament, 1964, p. 279) Halley’s Bible Handbook (1964, p. 161) says: “Canaanites worshipped, by immoral indulgence, as a religious rite, in the presence of their gods; and then, by murdering their first-born children, as a sacrifice to these same gods. It seems that, in large measure, the land of Canaan had become a sort of Sodom and Gomorrah on a national scale. . . . Did a civilization of such abominable filth and brutality have any right longer to exist? . . . Archaeologists who dig in the ruins of Canaanite cities wonder that God did not destroy them sooner than he did.”

Random Jottings: The Horror of Canaanite Religion

*yawn*
All that and you still did not answer the question I asked.

I specifically asked for you to present Biblical support for the reason you gave that God is against same sex sex.

Perhaps if you were to stop preaching you could simply answer the question I actually asked?

Departures from the law were not changes in God or his standards. If you knew what the sacrifices in Israel were all about, you would discern this. Nothing changed from God's perspective, except that the Christian message was now available to Gentiles. It was always going to include them, as his promise to Abraham shows. (Gen 22:18; Acts 10:34, 35)

Sexual sin remained sexual sin as Paul demonstrated in 1 Cor 6:9-11. Nothing changed there.

The blood sacrifices offered by the priests in Israel needed to be repeated weekly for remission of sin. The sacrifice of Jesus was "offered once for all time" replacing the necessity for the people to offer animal sacrifices any longer. Faith in the sin atoning blood of the Christ was now all that was needed.

"However, when Christ came as a high priest of the good things that have already taken place, he passed through the greater and more perfect tent not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. 12 He entered into the holy place, not with the blood of goats and of young bulls, but with his own blood, once for all time, and obtained an everlasting deliverance for us. 13 For if the blood of goats and of bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who have been defiled sanctifies for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of the Christ, who through an everlasting spirit offered himself without blemish to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works so that we may render sacred service to the living God?" (Heb 9:11-14)
God went from requiring sacfrices of animals to not requiring sacrifices.
That is a change.

Your knowledge of scripture and its meaning are superficial Mestemia.
Correction.
My knowledge of your particular spin on scripture is superficial.

God will never reveal his truth to those who treat Him as if he is a moron.
And what of those, like yourself, who twist scripture to fit their agenda?

Try some respect. :(
One wonders if your god is as offended as you are?
Hiding behind your god as you do, I cannot help but wonder how he feels about such hypocritical cowardice.

McBell

Right in the title "may be". Are you unaware what these words mean?

Yes.
It means you are going to completely ignore the whole article simply because of those words being in the title.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
People like yourself can stand at a distance and cast a critical eye, along with condescension, but then many people are victims of ignorance and are labouring under a complete misconception as to what the Bible actually says, compared to what they think it says. (Those who actually care that is) This is why a knowledge of the whole Bible, including the pictorial parts, is necessary.

“You must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing.”

Or as the Complete Jewish Bible renders it...

Leviticus 18:22 RY: iv, LY: vii “‘You are not to go to bed with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination."

Can you make this verse say something else? Is that graphic enough?
but what are they talking about here? Loving relationships that grow out of an innate sense of who one fundamentally is, or are they talking about rape, or fornication? Was it even possible for the writer to conceive that people of the same sex might be naturally oriented that way? Answer: no. The writer had no clue that homosexuality could be a normal, healthy orientation.

McBell

but what are they talking about here? Loving relationships that grow out of an innate sense of who one fundamentally is, or are they talking about rape, or fornication? Was it even possible for the writer to conceive that people of the same sex might be naturally oriented that way? Answer: no. The writer had no clue that homosexuality could be a normal, healthy orientation.

Actually, the really funny thing is that I asked for Biblical support for the reasons they gave that God is against same sex sex.

That was not addressed at all in the sermon given as a reply.

CMike

Originally Posted by CMike
What if someone falls in love with their mother? What about if someone falls in love with their sibling?

What if someone falls in love with a 11 year old girl?

Just because you "fall in love" within itself doesn't make immoral behavior moral.

Well, these are undoubtedly symptom of sickness. Because it is not normal to fall in love with someone of your family, whereas the world is full of people to meet-
I don't consider homosexual behavior to be "normal" either.

CMike

From what I know of you, you're part of Chabad and a far right-winger, so I expect you to be a homophobe. I'm not interested in anything you have to say about homosexuality.
LOL You asked the question. That's the answer.

There are those leftist jews whom ignore what G-D said in the bible and create their own morality.

However, in Judaism what G-D said is paramount and trumps anything else.

G-D said that homosexual behavior is an abomination.

He spells it out pretty clearly.

CMike

The experts who wrote the DSM IV and V disagree with you.
That's because they have a political agenda.

As I stated there is no conclusive evidence what causes homosexuality so they can't state whether it's really normal or not.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

As I stated there is no conclusive evidence what causes homosexuality so they can't state whether it's really normal or not.
What "agenda" is that?

There's no conclusive evidence as to what causes life, either, yet medical professionals do all they can to save and improve life.

CMike

What "agenda" is that?

There's no conclusive evidence as to what causes life, either, yet medical professionals do all they can to save and improve life.

A political liberal agenda.

That's true. However, stating that someone is born homosexual is not something that is actually proven.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
LOL You asked the question. That's the answer.

There are those leftist jews whom ignore what G-D said in the bible and create their own morality.

However, in Judaism what G-D said is paramount and trumps anything else.

G-D said that homosexual behavior is an abomination.

He spells it out pretty clearly.

Not interested in your ignorant right-wing rants.

Agnostic75

CMike said:

Better stated, the majority of the psychiatrists who originally put homosexuality in the DSM had a religious, and a political agenda.

CMike said:

If that is true, then homosexuality should not have been put in the DSM in the first place because of religious, and political agenda.

What is normal is not the issue. It is not normal to have a high IQ, but many people who have low, or average IQs would like to have a high IQ. The DSM is a manual of mental disorders. It is not necessary to know what causes homosexuality, or anything else in order to study whether or not practicing something has harmful consequences. Homosexuals who are monogamous, and healthy do not harm anyone.