• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

I realize you are not going to believe the Bible. I cannot explain everything in the Bible in scientific terms.
You believe in immaculate conception, virgin births, dead men walking, graves opening and bodies moving, seas part and walking on water yet you wonder why a Bible should be ignored.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt as you certainly believe the Bible provides all the answers. But above you can see that it does not contain the truth. Care to explain those items?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Wake up call, the contemporary human evolutionary state is quite primitive relative to the eventual potential, obviously people are not all at the same level, but it wasn't to long ago the Earth was considered flat. BB theory believers will be looked back on in the future like flat earthers. This is not meant to be derogatory, merely humbly accepting that contemporary human science is at an elementary level.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me put it this way.. there is no way whatsoever he could have proved that and I doubt anyone else will.
We go by "evidence", thus not "proof", and the evidence that the BB did indeed occur is overwhelming. Now, what caused it is another matter, along with that cosmologists don't know and maybe never will.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wake up call, the contemporary human evolutionary state is quite primitive relative to the eventual potential, obviously people are not all at the same level, but it wasn't to long ago the Earth was considered flat. BB theory believers will be looked back on in the future like flat earthers. This is not meant to be derogatory, merely humbly accepting that contemporary human science is at an elementary level.
I like to start my mornings with some good old fashioned word salad. There is no mental nutrition in it The high fiber content merely helps to flush out all of yesterdays accumulated waste from nonsensical ideas.

Mmmm.

Now that we have had the salad do you have anything of substance?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The Earth has not been thought to be flat since before ~ 250BC, when Eratosthenes conducted an observation to estimate its diameter. He was not far off, either. No sailor could think the Earth is flat. Looks as though somebody's history of science is at an elementary level. :cool:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Earth has not been thought to be flat since before ~ 250BC, when Eratosthenes conducted an observation to estimate its diameter. He was not far off, either. No sailor could think the Earth is flat. Looks as though somebody's history of science is at an elementary level. :cool:
Yes and no. There were still likely plenty of Flat Earth believers at that time. Even the New Testament has at least one "Flat Earth" passage in it, In the Gospels, and I do not know how many times this was repeated, Satan takes Jesus up to a high point to show him "all of the Earth". Any high point anywhere near the Mideast would show only a very small portion of the Earth. Even Mt. Everest would show at the furthest only a few hundred miles. The "high point" is worthless on a globe since even from far far away one could only see slightly less than half at any one point and time because the Earth is spherical. But that might work on a Flat Earth. And if it was a "vision" then the high point is superfluous.

This lack of knowledge of the writers of the Bible would not make the "stupid" merely understandably ignorant in a world where publishing of ideas did not exist.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes and no. There were still likely plenty of Flat Earth believers at that time. Even the New Testament has at least one "Flat Earth" passage in it, In the Gospels, and I do not know how many times this was repeated, Satan takes Jesus up to a high point to show him "all of the Earth". Any high point anywhere near the Mideast would show only a very small portion of the Earth. Even Mt. Everest would show at the furthest only a few hundred miles. The "high point" is worthless on a globe since even from far far away one could only see slightly less than half at any one point and time because the Earth is spherical. But that might work on a Flat Earth. And if it was a "vision" then the high point is superfluous.

This lack of knowledge of the writers of the Bible would not make the "stupid" merely understandably ignorant in a world where publishing of ideas did not exist.
Unlike the Greeks, the bible writers were not seafarers, though. And I'm not sure the story of the temptation of Christ was meant literally.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Unlike the Greeks, the bible writers were not seafarers, though. And I'm not sure the story of the temptation of Christ was meant literally.
I agree, I was going to bring up the fact that they were not seafarers so such a lack of knowledge was more than understandable. And those passages are not likely to be meant to be taken literally either. But they do show how taking the Bible too literally makes it child's play to refute. The US, unfortunately, is loaded with Bible literalists.

gnostic

The Lost One

It was the ancient Greeks, in natural philosophy, who first proposed that the Earth was round like an “orb”, spheroid in shape.

In Egypt and in Babylonia, they thought the Earth was round, too, but “round” like a disk, or cylinder. The Earth was flat, but the edge of the horizon were circular, and if travelers would venture beyond this edge or boundary, they would fall off.

The ancient Hebrews followed largely Babylonian’s lead, and believed that the Earth was like disk, hence flat surface, meaning they believed in flat Earth.

Spheroid Earth have no edges or ens.

So whenever passages in the Old Testament or New Testament, speak of the Earth having edges or ends, you would & should know they are talking about disk shape Earth.

See Job 28:24 & Job 38:13.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was the ancient Greeks, in natural philosophy, who first proposed that the Earth was round like an “orb”, spheroid in shape.

In Egypt and in Babylonia, they thought the Earth was round, too, but “round” like a disk, or cylinder. The Earth was flat, but the edge of the horizon were circular, and if travelers would venture beyond this edge or boundary, they would fall off.

The ancient Hebrews followed largely Babylonian’s lead, and believed that the Earth was like disk, hence flat surface, meaning they believed in flat Earth.

Spheroid Earth have no edges or ens.

So whenever passages in the Old Testament or New Testament, speak of the Earth having edges or ends, you would & should know they are talking about disk shape Earth.

See Job 28:24 & Job 38:13.
And do not forget the "Circle of the Earth" in Isaiah. The word that is used is of a circle drawn with a compass. A Flat Circle. The context is one very much of a Flat Earth. And very understandable for a non-seafaring nation.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
And how could you possibly know that?

Also, are you aware of the fact that the Catholic Church does take the position that evolution, including the evolution of our universe, is not in opposition to the Catechism?
Because I am aware that human understanding of what they are in the context of the universe at this stage of evolution on this planet is very limited

Reality is what it is, what one group call evolution, another may call universal creation or God creation. It is not the rhetoric that is important, but the reality behind the conceptualization.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I like to start my mornings with some good old fashioned word salad. There is no mental nutrition in it The high fiber content merely helps to flush out all of yesterdays accumulated waste from nonsensical ideas.

Mmmm.

Now that we have had the salad do you have anything of substance?
Does the above word salad mean to convey that you are insulted?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Just like now, there are a few people whose knowledge of cosmic reality is way beyond anything known by science, but the education system and msm only deal with the average human evolutionary stage, the top of the 'bell curve'. So the average Joe Blow was not aware the world was not flat in AD times. Looks like you think human beings are all at the same stage of evolution,:cool:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You believe in immaculate conception, virgin births, dead men walking, graves opening and bodies moving, seas part and walking on water yet you wonder why a Bible should be ignored.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt as you certainly believe the Bible provides all the answers. But above you can see that it does not contain the truth. Care to explain those items?
I don't believe everything you say I believe above.

Wake up call, the contemporary human evolutionary state is quite primitive relative to the eventual potential, obviously people are not all at the same level, but it wasn't to long ago the Earth was considered flat. BB theory believers will be looked back on in the future like flat earthers.

This is not meant to be derogatory, merely humbly accepting that contemporary human science is at an elementary level.

I don't believe everything you say I believe above.
The point of it was to suggest those scenarios shown are now proven to be totally false, regardless if you believe it. It you're happy to believe a lie forever, hand in there comrade.