• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalize Marijuana?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm sorry, was there something in the links that you found questionable?
I generally don't use blogs when I cite information. I didn't find it questionable, but I want to see actual studies, not someone's blog ;) No academic would accept those blogs as reliable sources. Neither do I.

Jeremy Mason

I generally don't use blogs when I cite information. I didn't find it questionable, but I want to see actual studies, not someone's blog ;) No academic would accept those blogs as reliable sources. Neither do I.

I think your missing the point. The American Medical Association was against the prohibition of what they saw as an extremely useful resource. But here, I think this is what you might be looking for in regards to the America Medical Association's findings on medicinal marijuana.

AMA - Report 6 of the Council on Scientific Affairs (A-01)

Last edited:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I think your missing the point. The American Medical Association was against the prohibition of what they saw as an extremely useful resource. But here, I think this is what you might be looking for in regards to the America Medical Association's findings on medicinal marijuana.

AMA - Report 6 of the Council on Scientific Affairs (A-01)
And I think you're using uneliable resources. No doctor would refer to a blog before diagnosing a patient. If you're going to claim the health aspect in terms of it to asprin, you should probably have actual data that supports your theory. No doubt that Cannabis can be used for a multitude of ailments, but that doesn't mean it's less harmful than Asprin, and I'd like to see real data. It's not that I'm missing the point, I'm actually just looking to see if your point even matters.

Before I read the entire thing, is there actually a comparison of Asprin in these findings? That's what I wanted to know.

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

And I think you're using uneliable resources. No doctor would refer to a blog before diagnosing a patient. If you're going to claim the health aspect in terms of it to asprin, you should probably have actual data that supports your theory. No doubt that Cannabis can be used for a multitude of ailments, but that doesn't mean it's less harmful than Asprin, and I'd like to see real data. It's not that I'm missing the point, I'm actually just looking to see if your point even matters.

Before I read the entire thing, is there actually a comparison of Asprin in these findings? That's what I wanted to know.

It solely speaks about the AMA's views on medicinal marijuana. I've been trying to find medical journals that address this comparison. I'll need more time to research that specific study.

I'm not promoting blogs as a chief source of information. I just found the information post worthy. If you find the information questionable, then prove it wrong. Don't just point out the possibilities of bias.

TurkeyOnRye

Whether or not marijuana is hazardous to the user's health seems pretty irrelevant as far as legalization is concerned. Government should not be a force used to impose our personal habits on others. What a person does with their own body is none of my business. Besides, legalization corresponds to a decrease in usage anyway...go figure.

linwood

Pretty good article in Time magazine in support of legalization.

But there are big issues here, issues of economy and simple justice, especially on the sentencing side. As Webb pointed out in a cover story in Parade magazine, the U.S. is, by far, the most "criminal" country in the world, with 5% of the world's population and 25% of its prisoners. We spend $68 billion per year on corrections, and one-third of those being corrected are serving time for nonviolent drug crimes. We spend about $150 billion on policing and courts, and 47.5% of all arrests are marijuana-related. That is an awful lot of money, most of it nonfederal, that could be spent on better schools or infrastructure — or simply returned to the public. (See the top 10 ballot measures.)

Why Legalizing Marijuana Makes Sense - TIME

sarahjane127

Scientific Mind
I think it should be legalized. But as an employee at a low paying slacker job (trying to get through college) there needs to be regulations. It would be a terrible thing for all walmart employees to be stone, though most are, who would want to go there then?

I think the tax and profits from marijuana would greatly help the government, why they cant see that, i don't know!

Zephyr

Moved on
I think it should be legalized. But as an employee at a low paying slacker job (trying to get through college) there needs to be regulations. It would be a terrible thing for all walmart employees to be stone, though most are, who would want to go there then?

I think the tax and profits from marijuana would greatly help the government, why they cant see that, i don't know!

Here's some easy regulations for that: Can you go to work drunk? Treat weed like alcohol. No driving, operating heavy machinery, or going to work under the influence.

DarkSun

:eltiT
Here's some easy regulations for that: Can you go to work drunk? Treat weed like alcohol. No driving, operating heavy machinery, or going to work under the influence.

Here's a way to defy the regulations for that: choose not to obey them, just as people do with alcohol.

DarkSun

:eltiT
waylett090408getty257-14tol1f.jpg

Potter actor in 'pot bust' - Yahoo!7 News

Zephyr

Moved on
It keeps privately run prisons in the black. That's good for the shareholders I s'pose.

And this is why some things just shouldn't be privatized. It's really a shame. I would someday like to become a police officer to protect people, but as long as these victimless crimes remain on the books (crimes that I have committed countless times), I just can't really do it. If I were to see some adults smoking marijuana in a reasonably responsible place, it'd be my duty to arrest them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
And this is why some things just shouldn't be privatized. It's really a shame. I would someday like to become a police officer to protect people, but as long as these victimless crimes remain on the books (crimes that I have committed countless times), I just can't really do it. If I were to see some adults smoking marijuana in a reasonably responsible place, it'd be my duty to arrest them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
That's a dilemma. I'd be tempted to join the fun myself...

Zephyr

Moved on
That's a dilemma. I'd be tempted to join the fun myself...

To make matters worse, what I do would be perfectly legal in California (Seriously, if I moved to CA getting my card would take no time at all given my medical records. Then again, California.), but even there it's enough to be ruled out for police work IIRC.

Stellify

StarChild
Maybe. I was just reminded of my mother and the months prior to her death. The one thing that upset her the most was that she had no appetite. Not that she didn't try to eat, it was just that she couldn't. No amount of prescribed medicine could help her.
Finally, her sister, the druggie, gave her a joint and convinced her to smoke it. She called me, thrilled, that she finally ate something. She almost cried she was so happy. She smoked it for the food, not the pain.
It was just a thought.
That's an interesting point...my mother had the same problems right before she died. She couldn't eat anything. I wonder how often weight loss and lack of appetite are problems for people who are severely ill like that? My mother probably couldn't have smoked (she was sick because of lung problems), but I wonder if there are other people that could help? Or perhaps if she could have ingested the drug another way and had it help her?

I was talking with a friend about legalization, and although he personally favors it, he brought up an interesting point....
He said that even though he wants it to be legalized, he worries that if it is, the cartels and whatnot that are currently in place would turn to other forms of criminal trade in order to keep up their cash flow. My friend's major concerns were that we would see an increase in human trafficking (ie: women, children, etc. being kidnapped and sold in the sex trade, more incidents related to organ sales on the black market)...
He mentioned a few other things that currently escape me.

What do you guys think? Realistic concern?

Zephyr

Moved on
I was talking with a friend about legalization, and although he personally favors it, he brought up an interesting point....
He said that even though he wants it to be legalized, he worries that if it is, the cartels and whatnot that are currently in place would turn to other forms of criminal trade in order to keep up their cash flow. My friend's major concerns were that we would see an increase in human trafficking (ie: women, children, etc. being kidnapped and sold in the sex trade, more incidents related to organ sales on the black market)...
He mentioned a few other things that currently escape me.

What do you guys think? Realistic concern?

Even if this is a realistic concern, just consider how many resources we will be able to free up to fight it. When police aren't busy throwing people in jail for smoking a joint in private, they can take care of more important issues like this.

Stellify

StarChild
Even if this is a realistic concern, just consider how many resources we will be able to free up to fight it. When police aren't busy throwing people in jail for smoking a joint in private, they can take care of more important issues like this.

That's kind of what I was thinking....Since human trafficking is a problem anyways, a ton of funds could be freed up from this ridiculous War on Drugs and redirected to stopping other horrendous trades going on.