• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalize Marijuana?

Yeshua_Lives

Left the Forum
Billions of US dollars (per year) are spent for marijuana. This money funds the drug cartels of Mexico and South America.

It seems the US would be better off regulating this marijuana trafficking. By legalizing marijuana, the US could tax the buyer (like cigarettes).

Should marijuana be made legal in the US and if so, would it change your mind on whether you would use marijuana?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Billions of US dollars (per year) are spent for marijuana. This money funds the drug cartels of Mexico and South America.

It seems the US would be better off regulating this marijuana trafficking. By legalizing marijuana, the US could tax the buyer (like cigarettes).

Should marijuana be made legal in the US and if so, would it change your mind on whether you would use marijuana?
I think Marijuana should be legal. Making gangsters rich is the worst side effect of marijuana that I'm aware of.
Legal or not my attitude to law is the same. I don't heed any nonsensical law. Life's too short.

Zephyr

Moved on
Legalizing weed hasn't screwed the Dutch up in the least, so why not go for it? Really, another country has proven that it can be done without destroying the country.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

IMO, the vast majority of the problems I see with marijuana come from the mere fact that it's a trafficked illegal product, not from any qualities of the marijuana itself.

Make it legal for people to grow and distribute it in small quantities, and most of the problems go away. At the very least, the biker gangs wouldn't kill each other (and occasionally innocent bystanders) over something that anyone could grow themselves or buy from a green-thumb friend, people wouldn't have cause to turn whole suburban houses into illegal grow ops (with all the safety problems this entails) and my local police helicopter would have more time to chase street racers and do search-and-rescue work on the lake (or just stay on the tarmac and save us some tax $) instead of looking for fields of pot.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, I say legalize it, regulate it, tax it. Makes no sense for it to be illegal while Alcohol, which is a lot more addictive and harmful, is not. The "war on drugs" is failing now for the same reason prohibition failed during the 20s.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Yeah, I say legalize it, regulate it, tax it. Makes no sense for it to be illegal while Alcohol, which is a lot more addictive and harmful, is not. The "war on drugs" is failing now for the same reason prohibition failed during the 20s.

Yep. I think it should be given to us in treat bags on the holidays too. :D

kai

ragamuffin

Legalize cannabis when they are slowly ilegalizing tobacco makes no sense at all, we have enough problems with alcohol; and tobacco which if discovered now would be illegal i think alcohol would be a class a drug based on the damage and cost it inflicts on society, we have this need to used mind altering chemicals when tax payers pick up the tab in health systems, family breakups etc violence etc etc and the war on drugs is failing for the same reason most wars by a democracy fail they haven't got the guts to get out there and win it at the source

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Legalize cannabis when they are slowly ilegalizing tobacco makes no dense at all, we have enough problems with alcohol; and tobacco which if discovered now would be illegal i think alcohol would be a class a drug based on the damage and cost it inflicts on society, we have this need to used mind altering chemicals when tax payers pick up the tab in health systems, family breakups etc violence etc etc and the war on drugs is failing for the same reason most wars by a democracy fail they haven't got the guts to get out there and win it at the source

What about Caffeine? Or fast food? Those can be pretty addictive and cause health problems. But you're right, we need a health police to decide what we can and can't put in our own bodies. Freedom be damned. And given that THC and DMT naturally occur in the brain, maybe they could drain our skulls while they're at it.

gnomon

Legalize cannabis when they are slowly ilegalizing tobacco makes no dense at all, we have enough problems with alcohol; and tobacco which if discovered now would be illegal i think alcohol would be a class a drug based on the damage and cost it inflicts on society, we have this need to used mind altering chemicals when tax payers pick up the tab in health systems, family breakups etc violence etc etc and the war on drugs is failing for the same reason most wars by a democracy fail they haven't got the guts to get out there and win it at the source

I'm sorry. I cannot reasonably sort this sentence out.:confused:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
What about Caffeine? Or fast food? Those can be pretty addictive and cause health problems.

When is the last time you smoked a joint????(or took a bong hit)..If you want to compare getting stoned to eating a Taco Bueno or drinking a cup of Java ???...Not sure what to tell ya..Except for after getting stoned you will be on your way TO Taco Bueno(or Wendy's or Mac'd's or KFC or Sonic or ALL four...and you will eat an un Godly amount of fast food in one sitting)...Then you will need lots of "Java" to counteract the depressive effects of the pot the next day ...

I dont compare them..

Blessings

Dallas

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I say legalize it. And for the record, no, I do not use it and never have.

happ

Catholic/Evagelical
Marijuana is essentially legal in quite a few states, particularly in the Western US. There are numerous dispensaries in California where the so-called sick buy their marijuana. All one has to claim is that they feel better on marijuana [ie lifts my depression] to qualify. The issue now is should teens be allowed to buy weed without their parents awareness.

I don't think anyone cares if marijuana is legalized or not but it should be put under the same control as alcohol & cigarettes.

Somkid

I had a friend here from Massachusetts this guy smoked so much marijuana he got to the point he was walking through the neighborhood smoking it!!! I don't know what happened but he lost complete touch with reality I mean getting busted for a joint in the USA is a slap on the wrist here you won't see the light of day for years so, I kind of have mixed emotions about marijuana. and I'm starting to believe that it is just as dangerous as alcohol if not more dangerous as it only takes 5 minutes to get high and a solid hour to get drunk, you can hide the effects and smell of marijuana where as you can't hide the effects or smell of alcohol.