• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing for sure

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
How did you become convince you were practicing the right religion?

Do you ever experience deep questioning? I ask because I am having trouble lately. I am starting to doubt christianity as a whole, and think I may have rushed into converting. I am not sure though

Last edited by a moderator:

muslim-

Im not Christian but since the post is under "Abrahamic religions" I hope you dont mind me sharing my experience.

I didnt want to "inherit" my religion, or believe in something without having a very solid basis. When you say you believe in something, thats a very powerful statement, and really is a big deal. No one wants to live a lie for decades or even for life! I also noticed how emotions play a huge role in decision-making and whats right and wrong. Being a person who respects logic, that was only an additional reason to do more research because I felt its not right to believe in something because of emotions (or emotional manipulation be clerics) , but our emotions should follow solidly founded beliefs.

It was also interested to read and observe the way thought develops in societies over long periods of time. Theres a very thin line between religion and mythology. I wanted religion, not mythology.

So since I was young I did in-depth research. It was on-going really. I only became more convinced and felt really content. Thankfully my knowledge of other languages helped a lot in giving access to resources that wouldnt be as easily available otherwise.

The only thing that changed was the way I perceive some practices, which I found to be more cultural (developed over time) than they are religious. The way man sometimes tries to alter religion (whether deliberately or with good intentions) sometimes cannot be ignored if a person wants to follow pure, authentic teachings that have a very solid basis.

Last edited:

Dezzie

I wouldn't say anything "convinced" me. I just came to believe what I do now because it feels right in my heart. I also did a lot of thinking through out my life. This thinking made me realize that my life is just the same, even if I don't follow a specific religion. I felt happiness in my heart from my decision, and it felt like a weight had been lifted off of my chest.

Do you ever experience deep questioning? I ask because I am having trouble lately.

I have experienced deep questioning before, but that is only because I was curious about other religious beliefs (which is NOT a bad thing... this questioning helps you grow... it just means you are curious). As far as my own beliefs, I came to the conclusion that worshipping one specific religion is just silly. I decided that I felt better not worrying about it and just living my life. Debating religion can sometimes create headaches for me. The headache is not always worth my time honestly. Whatever happens, happens. :)

I am starting to doubt christianity as a whole, and think I may have rushed into converting. I am not sure though

Even if you feel you have "rushed" into converting, DON'T FRET. There are PLENTY of other beliefs out there! Don't be afraid to take a dive into the pool of culture. :beach: Culture is a beautiful thing. You should embrace others beliefs and really "investigate" your inner self. Don't feel badly because you are not sure about your conversion. IMHO, you will be fine if you open your mind a little bit to other things. If God created us, he should accept our curiosity! ;)

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
In the right religion, the religionist must have personal experience of being "born again" -- the Spirit of Truth testify with the Father's Spirit within you that you are indwelt by a fragment of God. Furthermore, you can not help bear the fruits of social service to all your fellow beings. Such religion is personal, not organized in any way or form. Fatherhood of God to all those who are able to know God, Brotherhood of all who are capable of knowing God, and effectively doing God's Will by serving the Brotherhood unselfishly. God is love. To be Godlike is love. The only right religion is to choose to be Godlike, and such choosing has to be made personal by the revelation of the Spirit of Truth, which testifies you are actually choosing to do Father's Will. This must be personally experienced. No body, and no religious organization have such authority of spirit.

Last edited:

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Religions are not like assorted dresses you can try and discard for the right fit in an evening shopping spree. More than examine a religion as in an academic study, we have to examine the vagaries of our own mind. Religions can provide us with the requisite atmosphere in this meditative process of self-examination, provided we allow the religious atmosphere to sink into us. This requires a life time and there is no need to doubt that all religions have the capacity to provide us with the right atmosphere.

Vega

Avenger
I am not religious, but I did go through a period of research, study and self-reflection. I think the important place to start is take note of what you truly believe. What are your thoughts on morality, god(s), etc. By doing enough reading on various religions you may find one that shares your ideals, or none at all as in my case.

Onkara

Do you ever experience deep questioning? I ask because I am having trouble lately. I am starting to doubt christianity as a whole, and think I may have rushed into converting. I am not sure though

Forums and comparative religions make the mind doubt. It is as simple as that :)

muslim-

Forums and comparative religions make the mind doubt. It is as simple as that :)

In my case, it only made my faith stronger. I dont mean to sound "proud" or anything, but it really did. I myself in my research always tried to "poke holes", but when I couldnt, and felt that those who claim to do so werent successful, stronger faith is a natural result. I have to admit though that I always has access to lots of information not readily available for many.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member

A careful study of the Bible convinced me I had found the true religion. True faith is based on evidence and truth. (Hebrews 11:1) My study convinced me:
  1. The Bible is God's word, and contains the truth
  2. Jehovah is the only true God and Jesus Christ is his son.
  3. There is a true religion that is adhering to and living by the Bible.
Many religions masquerading as "Christian" are not following the Christ, nor keeping his commands. Jesus said this would be the case. (Matthew 7:21-23). Rather than accept some professed "christian" faith based on emotion or tradition, the Bible urges us to take in accurate knowledge. (1 Timothy 2:4, John 17:3, Ephesians 4:14-16)
The Bible urges us to not blindly accept whatever we're taught. Rather we are to
"Make sure of all things, hold fast to what is fine." (1 Thessalonians 5:21) This is the foundation of a strong, enduring faith in what is real and true.
It is OK to question one's faith and verify it's truthfulness. If one finds that his religion is not teaching the truth, the only honest thing to do is leave it and find the one true faith. (Ephesians 4:4,5)

In my opinion, knowing for sure is self deception.

I agree. There is a saying that devotees of Krishna like to mention alot, and that is athato brahma jijnasa, which means that this is the time to inquire about the Absolute Truth.

The idea is that blind faith and surety in one's spiritual position is the number one cause of pride and even downfall from spiritual life. So we must always be engaged in humble inquiry, and even questioning our faith in order to become stronger in it.

Vega

Avenger

Exactly. This is why I'm an atheist. I embrace doubt and I'm okay with not knowing it all. It leaves my mind free to embrace what I do know and just try to be the best person I can be, not what someone else's interpretation says.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your confusion and thanks for sharing it with us.
This is a sure way to become more confused, but I appreciate the question ;)

I believe that when you are 'constantly seeking God you are always finding God', because that seeking is also God itself.

"The journey is the destination" as the cliche adage goes...

So for me, my experience was further clarified recently when I heard a Sufi teacher say, 'A Sufi is one who Love God more than he fear God'.

Now, I don't label myself as a Sufi and I try to avoid labels in general when I can because they have soooo much baggage associated with them, although they serve their purpose.

I prefer to remain w/out a label in these conversations until asked to explain more deeply. A business card with my Religion on it, for me, is too much of an invite for misunderstanding and presumption.

How did I know when I had the 'right' Religion?

I'd hesitate to say 'right', rather, I'd say I knew I had something special going on, that is, I felt my Practice, my Way was becoming more clear and useful to me when I was able to worship with many folks of many different religions in their own house of worship and felt "Right" being there.

What became 'Right' for me was my INTENTION in this 'want/desire/need' in the first place, my INTENTION in worshiping, engaging in ritual, practices, pondering doctrine, questioning, making sense of religious and spiritual prescriptions and all the rest became crystal clear and obvious to my Heart.

This is why the quote from earlier in this message made so much sense to me.

I Love more than I Fear

No matter how God is defined, no matter what people mean when they say God, Supreme Being, Ground of Existence, etc etc... whether we are separate from, inside of, part of,or their is no God at all, no matter who the prophets are, for me, acting out of Love became precedent in my Life-Path.

Unfortunately I don't have a religion to put this into for you, other than to say I followed my heart and explore the world for Love, with Love in Love like my signature line says.

Good luck My Friend,
SageTree

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The idea is that blind faith and surety in one's spiritual position is the number one cause of pride and even downfall from spiritual life.
That may be true, but secondary: certitude is more often than not the state of not knowing what you don't know.

InChrist

Free4ever
I spent years searching through religions and philosophies looking for truth. It wasn't until Jesus Christ showed me that all things pertaining to life and godliness are found, not in a religion, church, or an organization, but in Him alone. That was when I became convinced and found peace and rest.