• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kellogg's Again Seeks to Harm Children

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yup, even adults can be duped by advertising and labels. I think they expect us to respond to impressions rather than look for information.

My opinion you're better off not eating breakfast at all, but if you're going to try muesli: Muesli - Wikipedia
Which can also be full of sugar if you prefer the ones with dried fruit (as I do - and nuts).
But even so it is still better to have fruit sugar than white cane or beet sugar.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yup, even adults can be duped by advertising and labels. I think they expect us to respond to impressions rather than look for information.

My opinion you're better off not eating breakfast at all, but if you're going to try muesli: Muesli - Wikipedia
Well, I do a thing that I call "second breakfast" after my bowl of cereal that consists of a banana, a cup of yoplait yogurt, and a protein bar. And I also have a cup and a half of oats daily in a protein shake I make daily. I wonder if since I already get all those ingredients throughout the day if making Muesli would be overloading on any ingredients?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Which can also be full of sugar if you prefer the ones with dried fruit (as I do - and nuts).
But even so it is still better to have fruit sugar than white cane or beet sugar.
Yes but there's a world of difference between the the way your body responds to the sugar in fruit and refined sugar.

The fiber in fruit causes the sugar to be processed and released into your bloodstream gradually.

On the other hand, refined sugar is absorbed by your body almost immediately, more like an injection than an ingestion. It hits your liver all at once which causes your blood sugar to spike, signalling your pancreas to bombard your body with insulin. Part of insulins job is to signal your liver to turn energy into fat.

Edit: chronically, all of that can lead to obesity, insulin resistance (diabetes), and screw up your metabolism in any number of ways.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I do a thing that I call "second breakfast" after my bowl of cereal that consists of a banana, a cup of yoplait yogurt, and a protein bar. And I also have a cup and a half of oats daily in a protein shake I make daily. I wonder if since I already get all those ingredients throughout the day if making Muesli would be overloading on any ingredients?
I don't think you have to worry about overdoing it on ingredients as long as the ingredients are healthy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've read of the concept of second breakfast in certain cultures(mostly partaken of by farmers and those doing heavy labor).

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've read of the concept of second breakfast in certain cultures(mostly partaken of by farmers and those doing heavy labor).
Ask the French. I was there over Easter. The day started with breakfast which went seamlessly over into second breakfast and then, after the apéritif, into lunch (which lasted 3 hours). Then we went for a walk and had coffee and cake at a café. We returned in time for Dinner (which lasted another 3 hours). We rounded the day off with a few glasses of wine and some snacks. For those who were still hungry there was a midnight soup.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm noticed the more I stay away from processed foods, the less I desire them.
Definitely. It's part of why I love farmer's market season. When I have really fresh produce I go "what the heck is this other crap I've been eating... BLECH!"

But... every so often I just kinda want a box of mac and cheese...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Definitely. It's part of why I love farmer's market season. When I have really fresh produce I go "what the heck is this other crap I've been eating... BLECH!"

But... every so often I just kinda want a box of mac and cheese...
My downfall is ramen...

Though sometimes the Farmer's Market gets me, too. There's a stand there with the biggest, fluffiest bagels for only 1 dollar...
Yep. When I want to lose weight it's the naughty stuff I cut out. At first it's difficult to refrain but after a few days such items become actually unappealing. Yes, even cake!
I refuse to label my cakes as junk. They're too labor intensive... food for the soul. And because they're so much work, I don't make them often.

Store cake is typically junk, though. (Even if its good.)