• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just came out to parents as bi!

Nymphs

I've never actually told my parents in a direct way that I was bisexual and I just wrote them and e-mail and told them. Having a slight panic attack.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've never actually told my parents in a direct way that I was bisexual and I just wrote them and e-mail and told them. Having a slight panic attack.

Congratulations. I hope and expect that any disconforts will be short-lived, while the relief will be long-lasting. :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a reasonably positive response. Perhaps your father was writing on behalf of them both? Or are they separated?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I sort of wonder how my parents would respond to me being asexual, perhaps they would laugh :D. My sister sort of knows though.

When I came out as a non-Christian it was met with criticism but my own mother is not exactly a beacon of wisdom.

When it comes to sexuality it is tricky because people often feel as if you have abandoned a team or betrayed them. Bisexuality is a bit different since people stereotype it as being a "neutral" position. I am happy you came out because I am a bit of a coward to do such a thing although I have less to worry about most likely

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I saw your thread's title, I immediately leaped to the
thought that you were now both Democrat & Republican.
I was quite relieved when I read the OP.

Last edited:

misanthropic_clown

Dad was fine with it -- in fact they both knew. He was very sweet and sent me a loving e-mail. Mom is still incredibly religious and hasn't responded and probably won't, even though she knew.

Bravo. Exact opposite reaction for me. Quick and kind response from Mum, stony silence from Dad. Though everything has mellowed and is fine.

I actually found out that apparently my Dad told my Mum that I wasn't going to be allowed in the house any more. This was entirely unbeknownst to me, and I arranged to visit home one time. My Dad didn't know I was coming, and my Mum was bricking it, thinking my Dad might kick me out. Nothing happened. All bark and no bite, and I'm gradually working on wearing down the barking too ;)

I hope things work out smoothly for you!

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Congrats on your courage but I have a question on this whole "coming out" thing. If this is truly how you feel and truly who you are, why would it make any difference how anyone else in the world feels about it? Shouldn't your sexual orientation be you business?

samosasauce

I should do that sometime... But I'm personally too terrified of their possible responses to do so while I'm still living in the same house as them...

misanthropic_clown

Congrats on your courage but I have a question on this whole "coming out" thing. If this is truly how you feel and truly who you are, why would it make any difference how anyone else in the world feels about it? Shouldn't your sexual orientation be you business?

Because it means a lot to be able to share your family and friends with the person you love, and vice versa. It can also be simply to be honest about who you are - keeping secrets is often a psychological burden. I know in my instance it also felt very empowering because I had taken control - I didn't have to worry about "what if x finds out about this?".

Your question would be like saying, your spouse is your own business and you don't need to tell anyone about him/her. True enough, but in my view a miserable way to live and to love.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Because it means a lot to be able to share your family and friends with the person you love, and vice versa. It can also be simply to be honest about who you are - keeping secrets is often a psychological burden. I know in my instance it also felt very empowering because I had taken control - I didn't have to worry about "what if x finds out about this?".

Your question would be like saying, your spouse is your own business and you don't need to tell anyone about him/her. True enough, but in my view a miserable way to live and to love.

I think you may have missed my point.When you discover who you really are it makes no difference if others know and/or accept you. Unless, that is, you feel that others should be forced to embrace you with opened arms no matter what. That's not the world we live in. To speak to your analogy concerning my spouse, it is definitely my business I couldn't careless who knows. Trust me, after forty years together I've never been miserable.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think you may have missed my point.When you discover who you really are it makes no difference if others know and/or accept you. Unless, that is, you feel that others should be forced to embrace you with opened arms no matter what. That's not the world we live in. To speak to your analogy concerning my spouse, it is definitely my business I couldn't careless who knows. Trust me, after forty years together I've never been miserable.

For many, it has been a safety or security issue, as carrying weight in the decision to come out. It does, indeed, matter if others accept you if you are concerned for your safety as a consequence.

misanthropic_clown

That's both largely untrue and simply a false dichotomy. Feeling accepted and part of a unit, whether it be friends or family, is of great emotional and psychological benefit. Though I'm sure some people would be happy to be a couple (or more) in isolation to the rest of the world (or some element of it), I'm sure most people would be happy not having to compartmentalise to such an extreme degree. This speaks nothing of forced acceptance - there's no obligation for people to accept my sexuality (though, I reserve the right to see it as a dark mark on their character). I don't know why you leapt to that.

I'm glad you have a happy marriage - I'm sure you like to shout to the world how lucky you are. Perhaps you can understand that many gay people seek to be able to do the same.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For many of us, keeping quiet about personal issues would be burdensome indeed.
So the issue of acceptance (or at least lack of hostility) matters to us.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's both largely untrue and simply a false dichotomy. Feeling accepted and part of a unit, whether it be friends or family, is of great emotional and psychological benefit. Though I'm sure some people would be happy to be a couple (or more) in isolation to the rest of the world (or some element of it), I'm sure most people would be happy not having to compartmentalise to such an extreme degree. This speaks nothing of forced acceptance - there's no obligation for people to accept my sexuality (though, I reserve the right to see it as a dark mark on their character). I don't know why you leapt to that.

I'm glad you have a happy marriage - I'm sure you like to shout to the world how lucky you are. Perhaps you can understand that many gay people seek to be able to do the same.

I really don't give a damn what people think of me; my happiness is not, nor should it be, predicated on the validation of others. Happiness comes from within. If you are waiting for permission from the herd to be happy with who you are, then I'm afraid you will be the miserable one.