• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism: Who wrote it?

rosends

Because God created all humans equal. Judaism teaches that Jews are racially superior over others and that non-jews are worse than dogs.

Even Jesus in the Bible said that and i quote 'It is not right to take food from the children(holy jews) and toss it to the dogs(non-jews).
Quoting Jesus to a Jew is not really useful. Since I reject him and the entre text of the gospels, assigning one of his attitudes to me won't do much. Do you have anything else to prove to me what I supposedly believe? And then, you can go back and actually answer the question I asked, not some made up one you feel the need to focus on.

roger1440

I do stuff
Because God created all humans equal. Judaism teaches that Jews are racially superior over others and that non-jews are worse than dogs.

Even Jesus in the Bible said that and i quote 'It is not right to take food from the children(holy jews) and toss it to the dogs(non-jews).
You have twisted that verse so much out of context I don't know where to start. It's going to take me a while to unravel it for you. To put it another way, to really, really dumb it down.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
" .......You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk."
Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 14:21,Shemot -Exodus - Chapter 34:26.
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9978
And for what purpose?
It cannot be from G-d or Moses.
Regards

Two questions:
- if a religious scripture includes things with no apparent purpose, does this imply that the religion is false?
- would you like to look at the Quran with me?

roger1440

I do stuff
Two questions:
- if a religious scripture includes things with no apparent purpose, does this imply that the religion is false?
The key word is "apparent". Just because something isn't "clearly seen" does not mean it is not there.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Two questions:
I have been asking the reason/wisdom of the teaching from the scripture itself, that would have unfolded the purpose of it, but no reply. Please point out the post number if I missed it. Right? please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Useless2015 said:
You have twisted that verse so much out of context I don't know where to start. It's going to take me a while to unravel it for you. To put it another way, to really, really dumb it down.
That is no answer. Please elaborate it from Jesus.
Regards

rosends

I have been asking the reason/wisdom of the teaching from the scripture itself, that would have unfolded the purpose of it, but no reply. Please point out the post number if I missed it. Right? please
Regards
So your logic is that if you don't understand it, it can't be authentic? Got it.

roger1440

I do stuff
And for what purpose?
Regards

I’m going to take an educated guess. I doubt very much this law or commandment was given to the Jews simply because they had too much free time on their hands. I also doubt this law or commandant was pulled out of thin air by the author. This leads me to the conclusion this act of cooking a kid in its mother’s milk had some sort of significance at the time of writing that has since been lost in time.

“As for the prohibition against eating meat [boiled] in milk, it is in my opinion not improbable that — in addition to this being undoubtedly very gross food and very filling — idolatry had something to do with it. Perhaps such food was eaten at one of the ceremonies of their cult or at one of their festivals. A confirmation of this may, in my opinion, be found in the fact that the prohibition against eating “meat [boiled] in milk,” when it is mentioned for the first two times, occurs near the commandment concerning pilgrimage: “Three times in the year,” and so on (Exodus 23:17; 34:23). It is as if it said: When you go on pilgrimage and enter “the house of the Lord your God” (Exodus 23:19; 34:26), do not cook there in the way they used to do. According to me this is the most probable (lit., the strongest) view regarding the reason for this prohibition; but I have not seen this set down in any of the books of the Sabians (idolaters) that I have read.” (Moses Maimonides, The Guide of the Perplexed, tr. Shlomo Pines, 2 vols. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1963), part 3:48)

Read the entire article at:

Milk and Meat: Unlikely Bedfellows
http://publications.mi.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1128&index=12

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
And for what purpose?
Regards
It was probably prohibited to distance the Jews from something or some people.

I give below the context verses:
16The falcon, and the ibis, and the bat;
17And the pelican, and the magpie, and the cormorant;
18And the stork, and the heron and its species, and the hoopoe, and the atalef.
19And every flying insect is unclean for you; they may not be eaten
20You may eat any clean fowl.
21You shall not eat any carcass. You may give it to the stranger who is in your cities, that he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner; for you are a holy people to the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.
22You shall tithe all the seed crop that the field gives forth, year by year.
23And you shall eat before the Lord, your God, in the place He chooses to establish His Name therein, the tithes of your grain, your wine, and your oil, and the firstborn of your cattle and of your sheep, so that you may learn to fear the Lord, your God, all the days.
24And if the way be too long for you, that you are unable to carry it, for the place which the Lord, your God, will choose to establish His Name therein, is too far from you, for the Lord, your God, will bless you
25Then you shall turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and you shall go to the place the Lord, your God, will choose.
26And you shall turn that money into whatever your soul desires; cattle, sheep, new wine or old wine, or whatever your soul desires, and you shall eat there before the Lord, your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Please elaborate from the context verses and mention as to how your answer is related to it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Wrong. Well, I guess it depends on which scribes you mean. I'm sure that some scribes somewhere have done bad things. But the teaching you quote is from an English translation of the text. What seems to be the problem?

If the text from which the translation has been made has been corrupted, the translator cannot remedy it. Right?
Regards

roger1440

I do stuff
paarsurrey said:
And for what purpose?
Regards

I give below the context verses:
16The falcon, and the ibis, and the bat;
17And the pelican, and the magpie, and the cormorant;
18And the stork, and the heron and its species, and the hoopoe, and the atalef.
19And every flying insect is unclean for you; they may not be eaten
20You may eat any clean fowl.
21You shall not eat any carcass. You may give it to the stranger who is in your cities, that he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner; for you are a holy people to the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.
22You shall tithe all the seed crop that the field gives forth, year by year.
23And you shall eat before the Lord, your God, in the place He chooses to establish His Name therein, the tithes of your grain, your wine, and your oil, and the firstborn of your cattle and of your sheep, so that you may learn to fear the Lord, your God, all the days.
24And if the way be too long for you, that you are unable to carry it, for the place which the Lord, your God, will choose to establish His Name therein, is too far from you, for the Lord, your God, will bless you
25Then you shall turn it into money, and bind up the money in your hand, and you shall go to the place the Lord, your God, will choose.
26And you shall turn that money into whatever your soul desires; cattle, sheep, new wine or old wine, or whatever your soul desires, and you shall eat there before the Lord, your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Please elaborate from the context verses and mention as to how your answer is related to it.
There is much about the ancient past we do not have records for, or at least surviving records. Keep in mind these Laws were written around 3000 years ago. At the time when these Laws we written more than likely the hearers or readers would have been able to relate. Today in the 21st century we are far removed from the original meaning. We can not separate the writings from the time they were written. It must be read written the time frame.

Example:

Michael Jackson is the King of Pop. I can give you over a 1000 links to attest to this. 3000 years from now how this would be understood?

MJtwitch.jpg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Regards

Quran 5:6 says that if you have made yourself dirty (e.g. by touching a woman), you can clean yourself by rubbing dirt on your hands.

Please explain how this could "come from God or Moses".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So your logic is that if you don't understand it, it can't be authentic? Got it.

If you have the reason/wisdom mentioned in the scripture, please quote it. If you have understood it, it should not be difficult to give it. Right?
Regards