• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and reincarnation

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Do all jews believe in reincarnation? or just some?

I know judaism believe in some form of hell and heaven also.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would say some on the fringes, Jews of the Reform and cultural Jews tend to eclectic in their beliefs, but orthodox Jews no

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
"Reincarnation is cited by authoritative classic biblical commentators, including Ramban (Nachmanides), Menachem Recanti and Rabbenu Bachya. Among the many volumes of the holy Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, known as the "Ari," most of which come down to us from the pen of his primary disciple, Rabbi Chaim Vital, are profound insights explaining issues related to reincarnation. Indeed, his Shaar HaGilgulim, "The Gates of Reincarnation," is a book devoted exclusively to the subject, including details regarding the soul-roots of many biblical personalities and who they reincarnated into from the times of the Bible down to the Ari."

source: Aish.com - Reincarnation and Jewish Tradition

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Reincarnation is cited by authoritative classic biblical commentators, including Ramban (Nachmanides), Menachem Recanti and Rabbenu Bachya. Among the many volumes of the holy Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, known as the "Ari," most of which come down to us from the pen of his primary disciple, Rabbi Chaim Vital, are profound insights explaining issues related to reincarnation. Indeed, his Shaar HaGilgulim, "The Gates of Reincarnation," is a book devoted exclusively to the subject, including details regarding the soul-roots of many biblical personalities and who they reincarnated into from the times of the Bible down to the Ari."

source: Aish.com - Reincarnation and Jewish Tradition

And these are hardly "cultural Jews" Judaism and Reincarnation - Kabbalah on Judaism and reincarnation also cites some of the same individuals.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I would say some on the fringes, Jews of the Reform and cultural Jews tend to eclectic in their beliefs, but orthodox Jews no
As it turns out, it's the other way around. I'd guess that most Reform Jews don't know that reincarnation is pretty thoroughly described in Rabbinic literature (by those Rabbis who believe in it), while it's fairly common knowledge among Orthodox Jews.

Skywalker

What type of heaven or hell do you think is real? I believe that Sheol isnt just the grave. Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 9:17-20 - King James Version

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

The wicked and the righteous don't go to the same place, so Sheol cannot be just the grave. The word hell is mentioned in the Tanakh.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
As it turns out, it's the other way around. I'd guess that most Reform Jews don't know that reincarnation is pretty thoroughly described in Rabbinic literature (by those Rabbis who believe in it), while it's fairly common knowledge among Orthodox Jews.
So all jews except reform jews believe in reincarnation?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What type of heaven or hell do you think is real? I believe that Sheol isnt just the grave. Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 9:17-20 - King James Version

The wicked and the righteous don't go to the same place, so Sheol cannot be just the grave. The word hell is mentioned in the Tanakh.

I will reserve my view of the afterlife, because I do not believe in the Biblical versions of the after-life. I acknowledged that the orthodox position is no Reincarnation, but in the fringes of reform and non-active cultural Jews I have met Jews with a very diverse views of religion and the afterlife. Not all Jews believe in the same in terms of the afterlife.

Hell?, of course, is mentioned in the mentioned in the Tanakh, but in the Hebrew it is not translated literally as 'Hell.' Yes 'Sheol' can be translated as just the grave in comparability with the Jewish belief in Resurrection.

Last edited:

Skywalker

I will reserve my view of the afterlife, because I do not believe in the Biblical versions of the after-life. I acknowledged that the orthodox position is no Reincarnation, but in the fringes of reform and non-active cultural Jews I have met Jews with a very diverse views of religion and the afterlife.

By biblical, you mean you don't believe in the New Testament, or you also don't agree with a lot of interpretations of the Old Testament on the afterlife? I think that the world to come is a reference to the millennial reign of the Messiah or heaven or heaven on earth. King David in the Psalms mentioned dwelling in the house of the Lord forever.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
There was a time when I probably would have agreed with you. Not so much any more.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Read your source:

The fact that reincarnation is part of Jewish tradition comes as a surprise to many people. 11 Nevertheless, it's mentioned in numerous places throughout the classical texts of Jewish mysticism, starting with the preeminent sourcebook of Kabbalah, the Zohar :12

Reincarnation is cited by authoritative classic biblical commentators, including Ramban21 (Nachmanides), Menachem Recanti 22 and Rabbenu Bachya.23 Among the many volumes of the holy Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, known as the "Ari,"24 most of which come down to us from the pen of his primary disciple, Rabbi Chaim Vital, are profound insights explaining issues related to reincarnation. Indeed, his Shaar HaGilgulim, "The Gates of Reincarnation," 25 is a book devoted exclusively to the subject, including details regarding the soul-roots of many biblical personalities and who they reincarnated into from the times of the Bible down to the Ari.