• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and reincarnation

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Nothing is punishable by a Jewish court if there's no action involved. That doesn't mean that there's no effect whatsoever. In the case of heresy, it causes a person to lose their place in the World to Come.
OK, thank you.

Ehav4Ever

The Mishnah uses the word "says" as "says to himself" a way of indicating belief. For instance, "one who says, I will sin and I will return", which is talking about a person who thinks that it's ok to sin with the intent to repent, not someone who literally says those words.
This is also obvious from the context of the Talmudic passage in Sanhedrin 99a that speaks about these things.

But it is not the type of beleif that is generally meant when discussion of religions take place, at least in English. I.e. blind faith - where a person has no first hand information to prove the reality one way or another and only beleives based on whatever they think, or have been taught, is trustworthy.

Concerning (האומר), as the Rambam explained it in the Moreh Hanevuchim 1:36 there is a difference between someone who is decided in their own mind to be fixed in something that is opposite of the reality - someone who is well established in what the reality is yet they set their mind against the reality. (קובעים כדעה) That would normally not be considered beleif, at least not in the religious sense. Again, going by how most westerners address religion and beleif.

Thus, as the Rambam mentions in his commentary on the Mishnah Hullin 1:2 that the (דין) of someone like this, who starts a minut, is different than someone who grew up in it or was fooled by someone else into it. I would assume that from what he described in the Moreh that the danger is that the person who knows the reality and is fixed/set in being opposite to what the truth reality are in most cases they are going to go out and publicize their minut to convince others. There is also the issue that the Rambam also states that a rasha has a place in the world to come, depending on the level of their aveiroth.

וכן כל הרשעים שעוונותיהם מרובין--דנין אותן כפי חטאותיהם, ויש להן חלק לעולם הבא: שכל ישראל יש להן חלק לעולם הבא, אף על פי שחטאו--שנאמר "ועמך כולם צדיקים, לעולם יירשו ארץ" (ישעיהו ס,כא)א

Even in Sanehdrin 99a what is being described is not the same as for example someone who is a (תינוק הנשבה). The person who says they will sin and return is someone who knows the truth and decides to turn away from it. Someone who doesn't beleive in something personally because they only have blind faith to go off or they beleive incorrectly because they don't know any better is not the same thing, especially if they are fully committed do things that they either don't in fully or doubt because they don't know the reality. Thus, that is not the same as what is often termed as "religous beleif."

That is what I mean. I hope that I wrote that so it is clear. :)

Ehav4Ever

There is much discussion on the matter
Are thoughts of sin punished halachically?

also, see this under "lo titaveh"
https://www.yutorah.org/_cdn/_shiurim/Lo Tachmod.html

this writeup overly simplifies
Aseret HaDibrot - Orthodox Union

some interesting comments here also Thou shalt not covet - Wikipedia

It is interesting to note that concerning the Asereth HaDibroth the Rambam mentions that it is not faith in Hashem but to know.

משנה תורה - הלכול יסודי התורה א:א
יסוד היסודות ועמוד החכמות, לידע שיש שם מצוי ראשון

The concept knowing rather than faith/beleif (or at least the concept of blind faith) makes more sense to me since when Asereth HaDibroth everyone who experienced it would have know for themselves and with the sheer numbers of witnesses, and no plausable contradictions and with no repeat of that level of event, it would make sense future would also know.

Concerning the concept of thoughts, the Rambam states in Moreh HaNevuchim 1:36 it as when a person fixes/sets their thoughts a certain way. Appearing to mean that if a person has set their mind, with a clear understanding of the reality, to a certain direction that is what leads them into the type of minut that places in the category of not having a place in the world to come.

Last edited:

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
I write an essay on graduate level about reincarnation in Judaism/Kabbalah. To my experience most rabbis who wrote books about reincarnation are Orthodox. I have seen maybe 1-2 rabbis who may have been Conservative. I haven't seen any Reform rabbi writing about reincarnation yet.

Tanakh doesn't mentioned reincarnation explicit but there are hints about it. I recommend books such as The Zohar, The Bahir, Sha'ar HaGilgulim etc to name a few books. I'm surprised that the Babylonian Talmud doesn't mention this at all. The closest I could find was a short mention of the Angel of Death collecting the souls of newly deceased people.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Last edited:

Hawkins

Do all jews believe in reincarnation? or just some?

I know judaism believe in some form of hell and heaven also.

That depends on whether you are talking about modern Jews or ancient Jews. Ancient Jews don't have the reincarnation concept. They believe God can resend a prophet though. The difference is, common folks won't have such a privilege. Reincarnation on the other hand means everyone will have to go through the process of reincarnation, not just a prophet.

Ehav4Ever

So, do they believe Hinduism is also a true Religion from Yahweh? Because according to Hindus their religion teach reincarnation.

No. It is not the same concept as what Hindus hold by. The concept as found in certain Jewish cirlcles has a different purpose behind. Also, the Torah is the basis for those who anciently held by what is called (גילגולים) "gilgulhim" in Jewish language and those who did not agree with the concept. Essentially, there are sources for and against the concept of (גילגולים) "gilgulhim" being Torah based.

Yet, again I stress that the concept (גילגולים) "gilgulhim", held by some Jews, does not hold by the same concepts that Hindus have and it not considered to happen for the reasons attributed to in Hinduism.

Ehav4Ever

So, do they believe Hinduism is also a true Religion from Yahweh? Because according to Hindus their religion teach reincarnation.

Also, it is important to note that it is pretty universal in the Torah that concepts found in Hinduism are what is called Avodah Zara and thus would not be claimed to come from Hashem. In order to understand what I mean by that read the information at the following link.

Avodat Kochavim - Chapter One

Avodat Kochavim - Chapter Two

rosends

That depends on whether you are talking about modern Jews or ancient Jews. Ancient Jews don't have the reincarnation concept. They believe God can resend a prophet though. The difference is, common folks won't have such a privilege. Reincarnation on the other hand means everyone will have to go through the process of reincarnation, not just a prophet.
Can you provide some sources about what you claim ancient Jews believed? TIA

Hawkins

Can you provide some sources about what you claim ancient Jews believed? TIA

Yes. The Works of Flavius Josephus.

Josephus is a 1st century Jewish historian. He is also a Pharisee. He described the 3 sects back then and their respective fundamental believes. He also tried to explain the Jewish concept to the Greeks.

Here's part of his explanation,

Hades is a place in the world not regularly finished; a subterraneous region, wherein the light of this world does not shine; from which circumstance, that in this region the light does not shine, it cannot be but there must be in it perpetual darkness. This region is allotted as a place of custody for souls, ill which angels are appointed as guardians to them, who distribute to them temporary punishments, agreeable to every one's behavior and manners.

In this region there is a certain place set apart, as a lake of unquenchable fire, whereinto we suppose no one hath hitherto been cast; but it is prepared for a day afore-determined by God, in which one righteous sentence shall deservedly be passed upon all men; when the unjust, and those that have been disobedient to God, and have given honor to such idols as have been the vain operations of the hands of men as to God himself, shall be adjudged to this everlasting punishment

The Works of Flavius Josephus.

rosends

Yes. The Works of Flavius Josephus.

Josephus is a 1st century Jewish historian. He is also a Pharisee. He described the 3 sects back then and their respective fundamental believes. He also tried to explain the Jewish concept to the Greeks.

Here's part of his explanation,

Hades is a place in the world not regularly finished; a subterraneous region, wherein the light of this world does not shine; from which circumstance, that in this region the light does not shine, it cannot be but there must be in it perpetual darkness. This region is allotted as a place of custody for souls, ill which angels are appointed as guardians to them, who distribute to them temporary punishments, agreeable to every one's behavior and manners.

In this region there is a certain place set apart, as a lake of unquenchable fire, whereinto we suppose no one hath hitherto been cast; but it is prepared for a day afore-determined by God, in which one righteous sentence shall deservedly be passed upon all men; when the unjust, and those that have been disobedient to God, and have given honor to such idols as have been the vain operations of the hands of men as to God himself, shall be adjudged to this everlasting punishment

The Works of Flavius Josephus.

And Josephus explains that "God can resend a prophet though. The difference is, common folks won't have such a privilege"?

Because I have yet to see a quote in actual Jewish sources that say that.

Hawkins

And Josephus explains that "God can resend a prophet though. The difference is, common folks won't have such a privilege"?

Because I have yet to see a quote in actual Jewish sources that say that.

No. Re-sending of Elijah or Joshua and such can be found in the Bible which is written by the Jews using their concepts.

Do you have any source to suggest otherwise?

rosends

No. Re-sending of Elijah or Joshua and such can be found in the Bible which is written by the Jews using their concepts.

Do you have any source to suggest otherwise?
Are you saying that Elijah or Joshua was resent after each died? Or just that a prophet can finish one message/mission and be given a second?