• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus drank alcohol

may

Merlin said:
What is your version?
the one i like to use the most because i think it is the most accurate is the NWT but i also use many others translations to compare .

may

Aqualung said:
Are you sure he wasn't just drinking that because they didn't have kool-aid back then?
i know i am thick but what is kool-aid remember i am english:D do you mean a fridge if so i like red wine at room temp

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
The point of this whole thread is that you should not claim to be better than Jesus. If he drank alcoholic wine, why is it wrong for you to do the same?
Because he didn't just "drink wine." Why do we drink alcohol now a days? As dan said, one reason is to get drunk. Another is to alter your state of mind so you can deal with difficult circumstances. Another is because it tastes good (or you're addicted to it). Is this why Jesus drank wine? NOOO!!! :banghead3 Jesus drank wine to kill the bacteria he was injesting and because there was really not much else he could drink. If you drink wine for these reasons, good for you. If you're drinking for the reasons stated before, and justifying it on Jesus, you are defeating the purpose and using him for your own pleasure.

may said:
i know i am thick but what is kool-aid remember i am english do you mean a fridge if so i like red wine at room temp
:eek: You don't have Kool-aid in England?! What is wrong with you people!:biglaugh: It's just a packet of flavouring, very small packet, and you add sugar and water and get a nice drink. And there's all sorts of flavours, like lemon-ade, grape, cherry, and stuff like that.
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
i think it's a drink...like lucazade...
What is lucazade?! :D

Merlin

Aqualung said:
Because he didn't just "drink wine." Why do we drink alcohol now a days? As dan said, one reason is to get drunk. Another is to alter your state of mind so you can deal with difficult circumstances. Another is because it tastes good (or you're addicted to it). Is this why Jesus drank wine? NOOO!!!
Your logic seems to be predicated on the view that people only drink an alcoholic beverage in order to have some sort of mind changing experience. May actually said that alcohol tasted unpleasant, unless you have been doing it for some time. Neither of these statements is true.

I am not promoting the drinking of alcohol. There are very good reasons for people to abstain. I was trying to be helpful and stop your young people going out in the world saying things which frankly are nonsense.

Alcohol tastes nasty

Sadly, it does not. There is every taste you can possibly want, from the modern (awful) alcopops, through fruit juice based drinks, to wine and beer and spirits. So take your pick, you can have anything you wish. Also, you seem to believe that no powerful taste can be pleasant. So are you not allowed to eat a pickled onion, chilli con carne, a chicken curry, or even a hot dog with mustard? I hope for your sake these are not prohibited.
People eat those things because they like them. They drink certain alcoholic drinks with strong tastes, for the same reason.

People drink alcohol to get drunk

That is the silliest one. There is a small minority who abuse alcohol. But that is true of almost everything. The majority of normal citizens never get drunk or even have a mind altering experience.

If you have never sat on a summer's afternoon with a friend in the garden having a cold glass of beer, then you know nothing about why people drink. If you've never enjoyed a glass of good wine over a convivial dinner with your friends, then again you really cannot make the statement you do.

Use proper arguments, these just make you sound foolish I am sorry to say.

may

Aqualung said:
Because he didn't just "drink wine." Why do we drink alcohol now a days? As dan said, one reason is to get drunk. Another is to alter your state of mind so you can deal with difficult circumstances. Another is because it tastes good (or you're addicted to it). Is this why Jesus drank wine? NOOO!!! :banghead3 Jesus drank wine to kill the bacteria he was injesting and because there was really not much else he could drink. If you drink wine for these reasons, good for you. If you're drinking for the reasons stated before, and justifying it on Jesus, you are defeating the purpose and using him for your own pleasure.

:eek: You don't have Kool-aid in England?! What is wrong with you people!:biglaugh: It's just a packet of flavouring, very small packet, and you add sugar and water and get a nice drink. And there's all sorts of flavours, like lemon-ade, grape, cherry, and stuff like that.
What is lucazade?! :D
oh now i know, and i thought it was a fridge LOL Lucazade is an energy drink , its been around here in England for ever , when i was little i thought it was medicine as people always got you a bottle if you were ill , and the bottle was always wrapped in orange wrapping making it look real special ,but nowadays its aimed at the sports people . i think i would prefer red wine now thou

may

merlin ... did i read you right when you said that May said that wine tasted unpleasant ,i dont think i said that ,but there certainly are good and bad wines some are better than others ,so Jesus only gave peoplethe good stuff , only the best from Jesus :)

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
Your logic seems to be predicated on the view that people only drink an alcoholic beverage in order to have some sort of mind changing experience. May actually said that alcohol tasted unpleasant, unless you have been doing it for some time. Neither of these statements is true.
What dan (not may :D) said was probably his own thoughts about alcohol's tastes. I like alcohol too. Why else do people drink alcohol, except to have mind altering feelings? Is is because it tasted good? And then they justify drinking a drug because it tastes good because Jesus did it too? You can't justify things like that. If I cut off someone's leg because it's infected and they will die if it doesn't get amputated, you can't go around cutting off people's leg because you enjoy doing that, and then say that you were just following my example. The same goes for drinking wine just because Jesus did. Once again, you completely ignore the reasons. Why did I amputate the leg? Because if I didn't the guy would die. Why did Jesus drink alcohol? Because if he drank water, or if he didn't drink something to kill the bacteria he was injesting, he would at least become violently ill.

Merlin said:
I am not promoting the drinking of alcohol.
And I'm not trying to promote the abstinace from alcohol.
Merlin said:
I was trying to be helpful and stop your young people going out in the world saying things which frankly are nonsense.
So was I. It's very frankly nonsense to justify drinking alcohol "because Jesus did it."

Merlin said:
Sadly, it does not. There is every taste you can possibly want, from the modern (awful) alcopops, through fruit juice based drinks, to wine and beer and spirits.
Yep. I prefer the ales. :D (although I don't drink anymore)
Merlin said:
So take your pick, you can have anything you wish. Also, you seem to believe that no powerful taste can be pleasant.
Now, even though you quoted me, that seems to be directed more toward dan. Am I correct? Because if it's not, I don't think that at all.

Merlin said:
If you have never sat on a summer's afternoon with a friend in the garden having a cold glass of beer, then you know nothing about why people drink.
I've had a cold glass of lemonade. That was a pretty good experience. I don't think having beer instead would have made it in any way better.

dan

Merlin said:
Sadly, it does not. There is every taste you can possibly want, from the modern (awful) alcopops, through fruit juice based drinks, to wine and beer and spirits. So take your pick, you can have anything you wish.
I've had all of these things, and what I'm saying is that no one takes their first sip of an alcoholic beverage and says, "Man! That is good!" It is always a tough experience, accompanied by squinting eyes, a grimace and heavy exhalations, depending on what it was. It does not taste good unless you've grown used to it. This was my argument from the beginning, and I wish you would stop pretending it wasn't.

Merlin said:
If you have never sat on a summer's afternoon with a friend in the garden having a cold glass of beer, then you know nothing about why people drink. If you've never enjoyed a glass of good wine over a convivial dinner with your friends, then again you really cannot make the statement you do.
I have done both of these, and alcohol in no way magnifies the enjoyment of one's company. As I mentioned, I was a wine host at a restaurant, and had to spend a year becoming intimately involved with wine. I know why it is supposed to enhance a meal. I have already mentioned that I am accustomed to the taste and actually do miss it, but that is an addictive response.

Merlin

may said:
merlin ... did i read you right when you said that May said that wine tasted unpleasant ,i dont think i said that ,but there certainly are good and bad wines some are better than others ,so Jesus only gave peoplethe good stuff , only the best from Jesus :)
Sorry May. Got the wrong person. Just an accident. God bless.

Merlin

dan said:
I also said that people who drink 'cause they like the taste have been doing it for a very long time. They are used to the taste because they spent plenty of time forcing themselves to get used to it.
Read again. You are assuming it tastes unpleasant. It does not, and never did. A vodka and orange tastes of orange. But the strong tastes (like beer) are nice as are chIlli, curry, mustard and pickles. Or are we addicted to those as well?

PS
Are they forbidden to you also?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
The question is, if Jesus drank alcohol, why shouldn't we? But did Jesus even drink alcohol?

Let's start back from the beginning. If you believe Jesus drank, regardless of whether or not you believe Christians today should drink or not, where do you find Biblical authority, as in, a chapter and verse, for that statement? As you may have guessed, I don't believe Jesus drank at all.

Kowalski

dan said:
Why, because your theories hold no water?
No, haha, because who cares if Jesus got drunk or or not, obviously if he turned water into wine, he must of been an alcoholic. Knockout

Cheers

K

Aqualung

Tasty
Kowalski said:
No, haha, because who cares if Jesus got drunk or or not, obviously if he turned water into wine, he must of been an alcoholic. Knockout

Cheers

K
Ummm, dan has stated that "wine" did not necessarily mean an alcoholic beverage. Or did you not read the whole thread before you gave it your rating?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
This really has nothing to do with drinking, but I'm just curious, if your title is "Junior Member" does that mean your under the age of, what is it, 13 or 14? Just wanted to know, I realize that was completely random.

Kowalski

Aqualung said:
Ummm, dan has stated that "wine" did not necessarily mean an alcoholic beverage. Or did you not read the whole thread before you gave it your rating?
I know that anyway, but it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't either.

K