• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus drank alcohol

Aqualung

Tasty
may said:
because they make their own rules not based on the bible ..sorry i am butting in i am gone now
May - Why did Jesus drink alcohol? Was it for social reasons? Was it for entertainment? No. It was for health. Do we need to drink alcohol for health? No. So don't drink alcohol.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
Appeartantly no more benefit than a glass of grape juice. And thanks for the grammer help :D.
Apparently there are certain elements which are in red wine that are beneficial to the cardiovascular system. Researchers are trying to isolate them now, but if you want them now you have to drink a glass of red wine every day.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
May - Why did Jesus drink alcohol? Was it for social reasons? Was it for entertainment? No. It was for health. Do we need to drink alcohol for health? No. So don't drink alcohol.
You sound very sure. are you a medical researcher

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
If caffiene is not forbidden, then there would be no point in forbidding tea and coffee. I have always assumed it is the stimulant aspect of caffeine that has caused this prohibition to be in place. Incidentally, my wife and I now only drink caffeine free tea and coffee (decaffeinated). So maybe those who enjoy a coffee can have one now.
There is definitely a point. Coffee and non-herbal teas contain so many harmful acids!
Merlin said:
I think everybody can see the health reasons for not smoking and drinking. The real question is whether that has any place in religious scripture and teachings.

There are thousands of things which are bad for our health. Driving a car with a bad brakes, eating too much saturated fat, etc. The point I'm making is we do not make those religiously forbidden. So why do we select out stimulants?
God gave us our bodies. They are a gift. To be so bad to them would be rather rude. god does not dwell in unholy temples, and by treating your body poorly, you are making it unholy. With the Word of Wisdom, you have to excuse for treating it poorly. You can't say you didn't know, becuase it's moot. The point is you transgressed one of God's laws.
Merlin said:
Apparently there are certain elements which are in red wine that are beneficial to the cardiovascular system. Researchers are trying to isolate them now, but if you want them now you have to drink a glass of red wine every day.
appearantly those exact same benefits are found by drinking grape juice, like I just said.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
There is definitely a point. Coffee and non-herbal teas contain so many harmful acids!
God gave us our bodies. They are a gift. To be so bad to them would be rather rude. god does not dwell in unholy temples, and by treating your body poorly, you are making it unholy. With the Word of Wisdom, you have to excuse for treating it poorly. You can't say you didn't know, becuase it's moot. The point is you transgressed one of God's laws.
appearantly those exact same benefits are found by drinking grape juice, like I just said.
You are all very happy in your own beliefs.

dan

This is a post of mine from a while back. It should clear up much of this confusion.

People point out the fact that Jesus drank wine. There is also much wine mentioned in the Old Testament. An interesting fact is that there are about 13 Hebrew words we translate as "wine," and only about half of them denote an alcoholic beverage. They made "wine" by many different techniques back then. Certain techniques rendered it alcoholic, and certain did not. Here are a few of my transliterations of these words - chemer, red wine; chamar, Aramaic for same; yayin, yeqeb, wine; mezeg, mamcak, juice mingled with other drinks; cobe', 'enab, alcoholic wine; 'asees, new wine, or grape juice; shekar, shemer, aged or strong wine; tyrowsh, new wine or grape juice. All of these are translated "wine" in the Old Testament. Throughout the O.T. a mention of acceptable consumption of wine is almost always in reference to a non-alcoholic "wine" such as grape juice, grape juice mingled with other drinks, the froth from grape juice scraped off and mixed with other drinks (such as myrrh), and so on. The New Testament is not clear on what type of "wine" is consumed; it is translated from Aramaic to Greek and the differences are lost. Officers within the church heirarchy are not to consume wine (I Tim. 3:3).

Most of the time when someone drank wine it was to kill bacteria that was so rampant back then (I Tim. 5:23), but that's a problem we don't have very often anymore. So what would the purpose of drinking alcohol be in the Gospel sense? Some say a glass of red wine a day is good for the circulatory system. Anti-oxidants are present in red wine, so it's good for you.

As true as that may be, a handful of grapes has the exact same effect. These anti-oxidants are found in what are called tannins, which are found in the skin of the grapes. Red wine is red because it is allowed to ferment with the skins of the grapes, coloring the wine. The tannins seep in and ta-da. Some say the fermenting process increases the anti-oxidants, but the difference is negligible.

Alcohol has killed more people than all the wars in recorded history combined. It is not necessary to drink it for our health, and it has no other productive use. There is no righteous reason to drink it at all.

jonny

Merlin said:
Why do hot drinks hurt anybody?

And why interpret them as coffee and tea. Both of those drinks are quite often drunk cold.
This is what Brigham Young said regarding this question:

"I have heard it argued that tea and coffee are not mentioned therein; that is very true; but what were the people in the habit of taking as hot drinks when that revelation was given? Tea and coffee. We were not in the habit of drinking water very hot, but tea and coffee—the beverages in common use"

That particular part is interpreted in the context in which it was given.

may

Merlin said:
Not all Christian accept that, so you cannot be so definite as you appear
its not me, its the bible that says go drink your wine, thats why i am sure it is a gift from Jehovah God , as with any gift when it is used right it is good ,food is a giftfrom God but if we over do it we could become a glutton and then it will effect our health its the same with the gift of wine moderation in all things

may

Aqualung said:
when he turned the water into wine it was at a wedding feast and normaly at wedding feasts in those days the best wine came out first, and then when people had drunk it they would bring out the wine that was inferior hoping that people would not notice ,but when Jesus turned the water into wine he turned it into good wine and the directer of the feast noticed this ,(that it was good stuff)not rubbish stuff..:) that is not to say that Jesus wanted people to get drunk but it proves that it was acholic wine

may

Aqualung said:
if a person choices to abstain that is fine, the same way that it is fine to drink in moderation , but when it is not ok is when people try to teach that the bible teaches no acholic drinks for christians ,then that would be wrong because Jesus did not teach that.

may

Merlin said:

And wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice psalm 104;15 so a little wine could keep the heart in tip top contion it seems:) yum yum

dan

Hey, may. Nowhere is it confirmed that the wine you speak of is alcoholic. You would have to address my longer post to get past that little hole in your logic.

Fatmop

*Is reminded of the Family Guy episode, which contains the following conversation between Peter Griffin and his Priest/Deacon/Whoever gives out the wine:
Peter: Wait, wait a second. Is this really the blood of Christ?
Preacher Guy: Yes.
Peter: Wow! This guy musta been wasted 24/7!

may

dan said:
This is a post of mine from a while back. It should clear up much of this confusion.

People point out the fact that Jesus drank wine. There is also much wine mentioned in the Old Testament. An interesting fact is that there are about 13 Hebrew words we translate as "wine," and only about half of them denote an alcoholic beverage. They made "wine" by many different techniques back then. Certain techniques rendered it alcoholic, and certain did not. Here are a few of my transliterations of these words - chemer, red wine; chamar, Aramaic for same; yayin, yeqeb, wine; mezeg, mamcak, juice mingled with other drinks; cobe', 'enab, alcoholic wine; 'asees, new wine, or grape juice; shekar, shemer, aged or strong wine; tyrowsh, new wine or grape juice. All of these are translated "wine" in the Old Testament. Throughout the O.T. a mention of acceptable consumption of wine is almost always in reference to a non-alcoholic "wine" such as grape juice, grape juice mingled with other drinks, the froth from grape juice scraped off and mixed with other drinks (such as myrrh), and so on. The New Testament is not clear on what type of "wine" is consumed; it is translated from Aramaic to Greek and the differences are lost. Officers within the church heirarchy are not to consume wine (I Tim. 3:3).

Most of the time when someone drank wine it was to kill bacteria that was so rampant back then (I Tim. 5:23), but that's a problem we don't have very often anymore. So what would the purpose of drinking alcohol be in the Gospel sense? Some say a glass of red wine a day is good for the circulatory system. Anti-oxidants are present in red wine, so it's good for you.

As true as that may be, a handful of grapes has the exact same effect. These anti-oxidants are found in what are called tannins, which are found in the skin of the grapes. Red wine is red because it is allowed to ferment with the skins of the grapes, coloring the wine. The tannins seep in and ta-da. Some say the fermenting process increases the anti-oxidants, but the difference is negligible.

Alcohol has killed more people than all the wars in recorded history combined. It is not necessary to drink it for our health, and it has no other productive use. There is no righteous reason to drink it at all.
when you say that peopleare killed by achohol i would word it more like , they allowed themselves to drink to much so it was the person coarsing the problem to himself and maybe others, so its not the achohol its the person, also in 1 tim 3;3 it says litrally that those in office should not be( given to wine ) to be given to wine would mean they were inslaved to it , they would not have to be a drunken brawler which is a bit different to having a glass sometimes if you fancy one. so a man could have an office and have a drink but not if he is a drunken brawler

may

dan said:
Hey, may. Nowhere is it confirmed that the wine you speak of is alcoholic. You would have to address my longer post to get past that little hole in your logic.

When, now, the director of the feast tasted the water that had been turned into wine but did not know what its source was, although those ministering who had drawn out the water knew, the director of the feast called the bridegroom and said to him: "Every other man puts out the fine wine first, and when people are intoxicated, the inferior. You have reserved the fine wine until now......john 2;9-10 i would say from reading this it was intoxicating wine because it was fine wine , and as the director said fine wine that got them intoxicated.

Aqualung

Tasty
may said:
if a person choices to abstain that is fine, the same way that it is fine to drink in moderation , but when it is not ok is when people try to teach that the bible teaches no acholic drinks for christians ,then that would be wrong because Jesus did not teach that.
You didn't answer my question. Why did Jesus drink wine? Because I think it's not only important to imitate Jesus, but to also imitate him for the same reason. We don't imitate his commandment to be baptised by dunking anything and everything into water, no matter what. We look at why he baptised, and how, and then we immitate that. The same should be said of wine. Why did he drink, and how? He drank for health, because there was nothing else to drink. That isn't the case now, so how can we say that it is in any way comparable to go down to the pub and have a beer with some friends, whether you are doing it moderately or not?

may

Aqualung said:
You didn't answer my question. Why did Jesus drink wine? Because I think it's not only important to imitate Jesus, but to also imitate him for the same reason. We don't imitate his commandment to be baptised by dunking anything and everything into water, no matter what. We look at why he baptised, and how, and then we immitate that. The same should be said of wine. Why did he drink, and how? He drank for health, because there was nothing else to drink. That isn't the case now, so how can we say that it is in any way comparable to go down to the pub and have a beer with some friends, whether you are doing it moderately or not?
i would say he had a drink because he was at a wedding feast nothing wrong with that having a party to celebrate a marriage