• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus drank alcohol

ThisShouldMakeSense

Merlin said:
Not all Christian accept that, so you cannot be so definite as you appear

I agree with everything May said. but can you clarify your point please?
also, the apostle paul told timothy to drink some wine because he had a bad stomach from time to time. this agrees with what has been found to be the case with wine.

jonny

may said:
because they make their own rules not based on the bible ..sorry i am butting in i am gone now
The Bible is filled with health codes. Why would you assume that God wouldn't want a health code for his followers today? Also, people tend to focus on the do not's of the LDS health code. There are plenty of things that we are asked to do.

I don't know if Jesus drank wine with alcohol in it. I would say that he probably did, but it really doesn't matter. It doesn't change what God wants me to put in my body today.

ThisShouldMakeSense

jonny said:
I don't know if Jesus drank wine with alcohol in it. I would say that he probably did, but it really doesn't matter. It doesn't change what God wants me to put in my body today.

which is....?
id say that it does matter as some people use it to excuse their drinking. ie. if jesus drank, then so can i.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Merlin,

'Go eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do' Ecl. 9 7

Total abstinence has been linked to Godliness, and those Christians who feel at liberty in Christ to enjoy wine are often made to feel 'ungodly'. Some believe that "shalt they drinketh the wine"
that they may become "drunkkards", and perform actions (whilst intoxicated) they may regret or see as sin....A place we often carefully avoid for fear of undeserved rebuke from within the church. Or fear of temptation.

Although I have not met many Christians that "forbid" wine.

Merlin

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
I agree with everything May said. but can you clarify your point please?
also, the apostle paul told timothy to drink some wine because he had a bad stomach from time to time. this agrees with what has been found to be the case with wine.
I agree with what May said as well. I was simply trying to be evenhanded and suggests that there are Christian groups who not only forbid alcohol to their followers, but try to claim that nobody drank alcohol, or at least nobody surrounding Jesus Christ drank alcohol.

I personally accept that wine was just as alcoholic in those days as it is today, I just thought it would be useful if we could chat about it. You have to accept that there are those who disagree.

Very few have come forward in this thread to say that they do not believe Jesus drank alcohol. Maybe they do not think they could defend the position.

Merlin

Malus01 said:
Merlin,

'Go eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do' Ecl. 9 7

Although I have not met many Christians that "forbid" wine.
I believe there are a few Methodist and Baptist groups that forbid wine, and I believe (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) that Mormons are also forbidden to drink alcohol.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The liquid was drunk (or anchient style Drunken)
He drank the liquid

Whatever, if you drink too much you end up DRUNK.

The reason they drank wine was the same reason everyone including children drank small beer, in the middle ages.
The water was not safe to drink (nor is it today in much of the middle east)

Terry_____________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Merlin said:
I believe there are a few Methodist and Baptist groups that forbid wine, and I believe (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) that Mormons are also forbidden to drink alcohol.
But as I see by your reply, which does not contain my complete post, you seemed to have ignored the majority of it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Jesus would have drunk wine like everyone else, including children at that time.
water would only be drunk with great caution. and then only from a known pure deep well, or riseing spring.

Anglicans take wine at Communion. It comes from special suppliers and is sweet, alcoholic and the strength is similar to table wine. Those who feel the have a problem with wine dip their bread or take no wine at all.

Terry_____________________________

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have taken Communion in both Baptist and methodist churches.in the 60's and 70's
alcoholic wine was used in all of them. Even in an otherwise dry methodist church.
The idea of using nonalcholic wine seems to be a new one.

Terry________________________

Merlin

Malus01 said:
But as I see by your reply, which does not contain my complete post, you seemed to have ignored the majority of it.
Sorry, I did not think the earlier part needed a response. Was it a question?

jonny

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
which is....?
id say that it does matter as some people use it to excuse their drinking. ie. if jesus drank, then so can i.
If you would like to see what I regard as God's health code for us today please read D&C 89 out of the LDS scriptures. It isn't too long.

jonny

Merlin said:
You are right about the Mormons forbidding alcohol. I'm not sure about Baptists or Methodists. Mormons also forbid smoking, illegal drugs, black tea, and coffee. There is debate in the church over whether or not caffiene is also forbidden. What side of the debate you are on usually depends on how much you like Coke. :)

Merlin

jonny said:
You are right about the Mormons forbidding alcohol. I'm not sure about Baptists or Methodists. Mormons also forbid smoking, illegal drugs, black tea, and coffee. There is debate in the church over whether or not caffiene is also forbidden. What side of the debate you are on usually depends on how much you like Coke. :)
If caffiene is not forbidden, then there would be no point in forbidding tea and coffee. I have always assumed it is the stimulant aspect of caffeine that has caused this prohibition to be in place. Incidentally, my wife and I now only drink caffeine free tea and coffee (decaffeinated). So maybe those who enjoy a coffee can have one now.

Merlin

jonny said:
If you would like to see what I regard as God's health code for us today please read D&C 89 out of the LDS scriptures. It isn't too long.
I think everybody can see the health reasons for not smoking and drinking. The real question is whether that has any place in religious scripture and teachings.

There are thousands of things which are bad for our health. Driving a car with a bad brakes, eating too much saturated fat, etc. The point I'm making is we do not make those religiously forbidden. So why do we select out stimulants?

Aqualung

Tasty
Luke Wolf said:
I have asked the very same question to many, many pastors, both in actual conversation and via email, and it is always been answered by "I don't know" or "I'll look into it" or the question has been ignored entirely.
Aqualung is the first person that I've seen that has come up with an answer. Not quite the answer I was expecting, but it is still an answer. Actually, I never expected anyone would come up with any answer.
Yeah, I had to ask a lot of people why, too. :D That's just the way of the world.

Luke Wolf said:
And by the way, a glass of red wine a night has been shown to have good effects for your cardiovascular health. And the past tense of drink is either drunk or drank. In Indiana it would be "you drunk the liquid", but Indiana common language is far from the proper language.
Appeartantly no more benefit than a glass of grape juice. And thanks for the grammer help :D.

jonny

Merlin said:
I think everybody can see the health reasons for not smoking and drinking. The real question is whether that has any place in religious scripture and teachings.

There are thousands of things which are bad for our health. Driving a car with a bad brakes, eating too much saturated fat, etc. The point I'm making is we do not make those religiously forbidden. So why do we select out stimulants?
One of the gifts that God gives us is the Holy Spirit which will lead us, guide us, and help us make good decisions. When we are under the influence of harmful substances our ability to follow the spirit is inhibited. For this reason it has a place in religion.

Also, our body is the temple and should be worthy of the Spirit of God. We should do what we can to keep our bodies healthy since they are a gift from God.

The Word of Wisdom does not only select out stimulants. Here are some of the points that it makes:
-No wine or strong drink (Alcohol)
-No Tobacco
-No hot drinks (interpreted as coffee and tea)
-Eat wholesome herbs
-Eat fuits
-Eat meat sparingly
-Eat plenty of whole grains

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
Where does this concept of non-alcoholic wine come from? Non-wine drinkers I would guess. In those days most people including children drank alcoholic wine and beer for safety reasons. Beer was the staple drink of the UK until 150 years ago.

There is no doubt it would be alcoholic. Otherwise it would not be called wine. Or are you suggesting no one drank alcohol in those days? Or just that Jesus did not.
No doubt at all? In fact, there are about 13 words that translate to "wine" in english. Don't you think it's a little far fetched to think that all 13 of those words meant an alcoholic beverage made from grapes? Don't you think that at least one of those words meant a non-alcoholic beverage made from grapes? I don't deny people drank wine. But why did they drink it? I answered that in my first post. Are any of those reasons still around? I answered that in my first post. So should we still consume such a dangerous drug? I answered that in my first post.

mr.guy

crapsack
merlin said:
So why do we select out stimulants?
Alcohol is a depressant. The real question is whether Jesus and his followers hit up the opiates and/or hallucinagents. With all the speaking in tongues, visions and general weirdness, why doesn't anyone ask if these guys were high half the time? They had poppies and pot back then, didn't they?

Merlin

jonny said:
-No hot drinks (interpreted as coffee and tea)
Why do hot drinks hurt anybody?

And why interpret them as coffee and tea. Both of those drinks are quite often drunk cold.