• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus, a Jewish "Hippie"?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No it doesn't. Neither in the sense of Pagan nature boy hipster, or in the sense of being against orthodoxy- Jesus was defending the Torah against the changes the Rabbis had made.

Jesus brought an entirely new set of changes to the Torah.

And he was very much "peace, love, family", as any hippy will agree with.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No it doesn't. Neither in the sense of Pagan nature boy hipster, or in the sense of being against orthodoxy- Jesus was defending the Torah against the changes the Rabbis had made.
Take a look at Matt 12:3-12 and compare it to Exo 31:16. Is this a change the Rabbi's made? If so, can you show some evidence for that other than taking your word for it?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
He supported taxes, was against free love, and was against inebriation which seems to include the use of psychedelics. On top of his violence against those at the temple, and his teachings about spiritual war, he was pretty far from a pacifist, too.

I am not quite sure what Jesus has in common with the hippies at all at that rate. He pays a lot of lip-service to the notion of love, but his teachings are violent, hateful, and filled with threats of death to those who disobey him. There's a reason why a lot of Hippies rejected Christianity in favor of New Age traditions.

ETA: Maybe he could be read as anti-establishment? But he believed he was restoring tradition, making him more of a sort of MAGA figure than a Bernie Sanders.

If there is any overlap, it might lie in his teachings on voluntary poverty, I think.

Last edited:

pearl

You might considered his critic of the pharisees misuse of the oral Torah "lays burdens on the people" as him holding a more relaxed attitude but actually he appears to be in many ways tougher about the law of moses.

I think this is true. He did criticize the Pharisees because of the added 'burdens', but also acknowledged them as true to Moses' teaching.

a postion that threatened the power of the pharisees.

And also a threat to the Roman establishment. I don't know about being a 'hippie', but Jesus certainly was another trouble making prophet, and they were not exactly well received, even by their own.
When I think of 'hippie' Woodstock comes to mind, as does 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.o_O
Personally, I consider Jesus' teaching as the 'heart of the Torah'.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Just a reminder: everything written about Jesus was culled from apologists writing decades after his purported outreach. What can be claimed to be known - using any reasonable definition of the term - is exceedingly little.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No. That's part of people trying to remake Jesus in their image.
Not at all. Jesus certainly wasn't a "conservative" as he challenged the status quo, and he certainly wasn't a dog-eat-dog capitalist because he believed in compassion and helping all in need.

Thus, maybe you should heed your own words.

metis

No, not an antisocial spoiled brat! But Jesus was big hearted and Liberal for his day. The fanatical element within Judaism hated Jesus for his progressive teachings.
Hippies certainly weren't "anti-social", plus they did emphasize having a "big heart" and being "progressive".

metis

Its a useful discussion to have.

I admit that we don't know all of the particulars about Jesus. The only way to answer this question is to decide whether being a hippie is the best way for Jesus to be and whether this is the way Christians ought to be.

The hippies embraced the goodness of children, and they wanted to start culture over from scratch. They wanted to let the human soul guide a new century into a future unlike our past, and they believed they could do this by tapping the potential of children. Every previous assumption was to be ignored, and instead they wanted people to relearn without any oppression or influence from previous generations. Love was to be the guide. (I get this opinion from the songs and a few other clues such as web sites I have visited.) It reminds me of the story where Jesus says "Let the little ones come unto me, and do not hinder them. Of such is the kingdom of God."

I view the hippie movement as sometimes a hopeful experiment to embrace drugs as a kind of pacifier to end war.

Hippies would try anything. They were an avalanche of cultural experiments.
I sooooooooooooooooo much agree with you. Well said, imo.

metis

Jesus Christ Superstar comes to mind. Also the Jesus Freak movement.

There is some overlap but not so much to call him a hippie IMO.
That depends on how one defines "hippie" as they certainly didn't all believe and/or act in the same way.