• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus, a Jewish "Hippie"?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'd pick St. Francis of Assisi as the prototypical hippie. He took off all his clothes and gave them to his dad, he renounced money, preached to animals including reportedly getting a wolf to renounce his nature along with preaching love. He even visited and talked with the enemy of his faith in the Middle East.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'd pick St. Francis of Assisi as the prototypical hippie. He took off all his clothes and gave them to his dad, he renounced money, preached to animals including reportedly getting a wolf to renounce his nature along with preaching love. He even visited and talked with the enemy of his faith in the Middle East.
Yep, as that's obviously where he believed Jesus was coming from. However, the taking off of his clothes and giving them to his dad likely refers to Martin de Porres. But I can stand corrected if I'm wrong.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yep, as that's obviously where he believed Jesus was coming from. However, the taking off of his clothes and giving them to his dad likely refers to Martin de Porres. But I can stand corrected if I'm wrong.
I don't know about Martin de Porres but I can find no site that asserts Francis did not indeed strip his clothing. Care to cite a site that said it's myth?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know about Martin de Porres but I can find no site that asserts Francis did not indeed strip his clothing. Care to cite a site that said it's myth?
I didn't say nor imply it's a myth, just that what you cited about the clothes was what Martin de Porres did but that I don't remember that Francis of Assisi did or didn't. So, I wasn't disagreeing with you but was asking you.

However, I did just look it up and you are correct.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it’s a bit like asking if he was a Jewish mod or punk or goth or rivethead. Personally, I don’t think he would even go for normcore fashion.
So... so Jesus didn't wear Jesus sandals?

My world is destroyed.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whaddya think?

Rather, clearly to me he explained himself to be same concept of Shiite concept of the Perfect Man and Leader and Guide: Gospels and Shiite hadiths match up. | Religious Forums

And he emphasized this position was held by Elijah (a) and John (a) and all chosen anointed kings by God which is big correction of the Torah and Tanakh.

And Elijah (a) returned already during John (a) time, but neither was recognized, because people were not interested in guidance and traveling to God.

And Elijah (a) specifically, because, he is alive and will hold the position of light and holy spirit till Mohammad (s) who the trinity and sorcery coupled with that, was to make ambiguous what the spirit of truth and holy spirit is, even though there is a clear verse that says it's the spirit in Jesus (a), and he talks about John (a) and Elijah (a) showing this light is always on earth, but astray hearts turn away and don't recognize it.

John (a) was killed despite Elijah (A) having testified to him and returned. And so Elyas (a) was going to be hidden during period between Jesus (a) ascension and Mohammad (a) and this whole concept in the Gospels, is that there is always an leader, guide and anointed king to lead back to God, who is the light of the world so long as he in this world. The Quran says "thus we revealed a spirit from our command, you did not know the book nor the faith, but rather we made it (spirit from our command) a light that God guides who he wishes of his servants and certainly you guide to a straight path. The path of God...."

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Whaddya think?
Jesus was a counter-cultural leader who encouraged followers to tune in to the Kingdom of Heaven and drop out of Roman-dominated economic system that was squeezing peasants off their land and into the cities...

I don't think that applying a modern concept is useful...

Colt

Whaddya think?
No, not an antisocial spoiled brat! But Jesus was big hearted and Liberal for his day. The fanatical element within Judaism hated Jesus for his progressive teachings.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Whaddya think?
LOL... I was in Venezuela during the "hippie" movement so I may be wrong in my view. Free physical love and drugs? I don't think so.

Going against mainstream? Yes. Challenging status quo? yes.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Whaddya think?
Its a useful discussion to have.

I admit that we don't know all of the particulars about Jesus. The only way to answer this question is to decide whether being a hippie is the best way for Jesus to be and whether this is the way Christians ought to be.

The hippies embraced the goodness of children, and they wanted to start culture over from scratch. They wanted to let the human soul guide a new century into a future unlike our past, and they believed they could do this by tapping the potential of children. Every previous assumption was to be ignored, and instead they wanted people to relearn without any oppression or influence from previous generations. Love was to be the guide. (I get this opinion from the songs and a few other clues such as web sites I have visited.) It reminds me of the story where Jesus says "Let the little ones come unto me, and do not hinder them. Of such is the kingdom of God."

I view the hippie movement as sometimes a hopeful experiment to embrace drugs as a kind of pacifier to end war.

Hippies would try anything. They were an avalanche of cultural experiments.

Jolly

No Jesus was not a Jewish Hippie.

Infact his teaching calls for more righteousness then the Pharisees and priests.

You might considered his critic of the pharisees misuse of the oral Torah "lays burdens on the people" as him holding a more relaxed attitude but actually he appears to be in many ways tougher about the law of moses.

Jesus ultimately acts as a Karaite- a postion that threatened the power of the pharisees. You might see telling people to love one another as hippe- but it's actually exactly what the Torah teaches- 'Love they neighbour as thyself' 'love the stranger'

Many of his critics on the sermon on the mount "you have heard it said..." relates to the Oral Torah of the pharisees.

idea

Question Everything
Jesus was anti-establishment, went against the established "church" of the times. There are quite a few years missing (age 8 to 30?) many think he might have traveled to India during this time, brought back a few new ideas.