• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Been Warning Y'all....Many Low Skill Jobs Will Soon Disappear

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Robots got their start in manufacturing and banking. Robots already are present at Walmart and grocery stores, doing jobs traditionally handled by friendly people. Now they are starting to replace people in fast food restaurants. If robots successfully replace drivers (which they may not but they are trying), then they could also begin to replace: weldors, framers, tile workers, hotel maids, roofers, concrete workers, janitors, convenience store staff, tailors, chefs, and maybe even hairdressers though that is never going to happen.

That's the bad news.

The good news is robots can bring us back to home based industry, with people manufacturing complex items at home -- using robots -- competitively against large manufacturers. So...after lots of change, pain and tears and lost jobs there may be a time on the way where people make our own socks again and keep goats for milk, etc.
a robot can be made to replace anyone
except gov employees
and they tend to be robots anyway

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"I'm glad I had a microwave right then"? Probably not.
On many days, actually I am glad to have one. It's especially convenient for cooking a "regular sized/family" meal, and portioning it out into a few meals to be frozen and reheated later.
A great deal of modern technology is worthless.
I beg to differ. I grew up without a cell phone, without a computer, and without the internet. Those things alone have changed the very foundations of our society. Even when it comes to phones, instant/text messaging is a million times better than sending letters through the mail or coughing up money for a long distance phone call - on a phone that was attached to the wall and most likely did not have a long cord at at (chairs were common near phones).
All it does is render humans obsolete and takes jobs
So? It's going to do that because it has the ability to -- and has in so many ways -- surpassed us and it will continue to make so many more jobs just not needing to be filled by humans.
technology will always be inferior to man anyways.
I'd like to see you run 100 miles at 60 MPH without stopping, lift 2,000 pounds, fly, make thousands of calculations in a second, and communicate with someone beyond your immediate physical proximity without any technology. And do it all without a break.
Probably not. If we allow ourselves to collapse or regress, our economy, like many things will improve.
Why, when we can make things so much better?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
but in all fairness to the op.....

when I was soooooo much younger.......I was laid off
and Granddad wanted to know why I could not find work

I said to him....
In your day, the machine helped the man do the work
Now.....the machine can replace a hundred men all at once

He said no more

VioletVortex

but in all fairness to the op.....

when I was soooooo much younger.......I was laid off
and Granddad wanted to know why I could not find work

I said to him....
In your day, the machine helped the man do the work
Now.....the machine can replace a hundred men all at once

He said no more

Is a machine as reliable as 100 men?

VioletVortex

On many days, actually I am glad to have one. It's especially convenient for cooking a "regular sized/family" meal, and portioning it out into a few meals to be frozen and reheated later.

I beg to differ. I grew up without a cell phone, without a computer, and without the internet. Those things alone have changed the very foundations of our society. Even when it comes to phones, instant/text messaging is a million times better than sending letters through the mail or coughing up money for a long distance phone call - on a phone that was attached to the wall and most likely did not have a long cord at at (chairs were common near phones).

So? It's going to do that because it has the ability to -- and has in so many ways -- surpassed us and it will continue to make so many more jobs just not needing to be filled by humans.

I'd like to see you run 100 miles at 60 MPH without stopping, lift 2,000 pounds, fly, make thousands of calculations in a second, and communicate with someone beyond your immediate physical proximity without any technology. And do it all without a break.

Why, when we can make things so much better?

We dream of teleporters now, but we do just fine without them. We have no need for them. Just as you, growing up, had no need for cell phones. Think about this from an evolutionary standpoint. Some of our abilities are being replaced by technology, and if we continue on this path, these skills will slowly disappear. Then, when the day comes that we don't have all of these advanced forms of technology present in modern times, we will be ****ed.

I'd like to see where we will get the resources for these technological advancements when we have run out of oil...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We dream of teleporters now, but we do just fine without them.
People probably said that about the horse and carriage. They probably though we did just fine spending weeks and months traveling from one place to another.
Think about this from an evolutionary standpoint. Some of our abilities are being replaced by technology, and if we continue on this path, these skills will slowly disappear.
That's just evolution. Organisms respond to their environment. We have much finer and thinner hair than our closest relatives, and we have lost the usual primate hairiness. But we have clothes so it works out.
Then, when the day comes that we don't have all of these advanced forms of technology present in modern times, we will be ****ed.
Outside of the movies, that is very unlikely to happen.
I'd like to see where we will get the resources for these technological advancements when we have run out of oil...
We have viable alternatives to petroleum to produce oil and plastic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As most threads do, this one went from serious to silly.
Silly?
A lot of prostitutes will become unemployed.
Reading the article, we can see new technology which is applicable
elsewhere, eg, remember each individual customer & past preferences.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Silly?
A lot of prostitutes will become unemployed.
Reading the article, we can see new technology which is applicable
elsewhere, eg, remember each individual customer & past preferences.

I'm not PC.

Prostitution is the only thing s/he knows. That's not my fault. S/he wouldn't work at Burger King so s/he decided sexing was the only way. Burger King doesn't turn anyone away, much in the way that prostitutes don't turn anyone away.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not PC.

Prostitution is the only thing s/he knows. That's not my fault. S/he wouldn't work at Burger King so s/he decided sexing was the only way. Burger King doesn't turn anyone away, much in the way that prostitutes don't turn anyone away.
Brothel pay beats Burger King by a long shot though.
And whatever one thinks about the morality of prostitution, it's
still work which is beginning to see machines replacing humans.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
John Naisbitt in his book "Megatrends" that was published in 1982 predicted that there would be a division in the middle class that would relate to a great many unskilled and semi-skilled jobs being lost in the future due to a series of factors, especially automation and out-sourcing. I read the book shortly after its publication plus his "Megatrends 2000" and was quite impressed with both of them.

Information on Naisbitt can be found here: John Naisbitt - Wikipedia

Milton Platt

In the news today.....
How robots will kill the 'gig economy'

Of course, many others notice that automation & smart machines will upset the apple cart.
So I get no credit for stating the obvious.
But I've been yelling about it a lot....& will continue.
I've no solution.
Anyone?

Do we need a solution? I dunno.......I mean, there's still mowing lawns, picking crops, hustling immigrants across the borders, etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hopefully I finally get one of these case manager positions I interviewed for. Then, finally, I'll get to have a Libertarian outlook as I make good money and issues of the poor become less apparent in my life and hardly a blip like the water in Flint is, and can walk up to a computer and tell it to suck it because it can't replace me. :p
Do we need a solution? I dunno.......I mean, there's still mowing lawns, picking crops, hustling immigrants across the borders, etc.
GPS and computers are already giving us those. I suspect most of us alive today will see a day when it's like the movie Logan, and we see automated trucks on the road.