• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Been Warning Y'all....Many Low Skill Jobs Will Soon Disappear

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Thats why I been "preaching" for years that everyone, needs to have at least one trade skill. A skill that one can use to support themselves should their field of choice become saturated or replaced with a machine.

Here is a list of such trades.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thats why I been "preaching" for years that everyone, needs to have at least one trade skill. A skill that one can use to support themselves should their field of choice become saturated or replaced with a machine.

Here is a list of such trades.

Even a good number of those are being replaced by machines, and likely will in the future. We're starting to get self-driving cars, making self-flying airplanes something that logically follows next. Even dental hygienists and construction is going to the robots. And I'd be willing to bet we probably could make robots, now, that can do phlebotomy with a much lower risk of blowing veins.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I've Been Warning Y'all....Many Low Skill Jobs Will Soon Disappear
I've no solution.
There is no solution. When the oil runs out and/or the climate change is severe enough, there will be global civilizational collapse with mass starvation. The survivors will be those in communities knowing how to live off the land and having sufficient weapons to defend from bandits. Oh,... also, the aristocrats who will enslave those they need as peasants to provide the manual labor they require to live the good life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is no solution. When the oil runs out and/or the climate change is severe enough, there will be global civilizational collapse with mass starvation. The survivors will be those in communities knowing how to live off the land and having sufficient weapons to defend from bandits. Oh,... also, the aristocrats who will enslave those they need as peasants to provide the manual labor they require to live the good life.
We'll never run out of fossil oil.
It will just become more expensive relative to replacements.
But your prediction will come to pass with the zombie apocalypse.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Even a good number of those are being replaced by machines, and likely will in the future. We're starting to get self-driving cars, making self-flying airplanes something that logically follows next. Even dental hygienists and construction is going to the robots. And I'd be willing to bet we probably could make robots, now, that can do phlebotomy with a much lower risk of blowing veins.

I am not worried. The world is far too dynamic to rely soley on machines to do everything. Figuring out each person niche is soley on them to fill these voids.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am not worried. The world is far too dynamic to rely soley on machines to do everything. Figuring out each person niche is soley on them to fill these voids.
We are reaching a point though where our current economic set up, one that revolves around human workers doing industrial work, is becoming dangerously obsolete to keep practicing. Eventually we'll reach a point where we have to legislate limits on robotics replacing human labor, or find another solution so that people can sustain themselves as human employment becomes increasingly rare.

Enoch07

Premium Member
We are reaching a point though where our current economic set up, one that revolves around human workers doing industrial work, is becoming dangerously obsolete to keep practicing. Eventually we'll reach a point where we have to legislate limits on robotics replacing human labor, or find another solution so that people can sustain themselves as human employment becomes increasingly rare.

I agree. But,

There are other fields than industrial work.

Personally, I encourage people to look into the applied science fields. Which can but not always require about 2 years of college.

Applied science is a discipline that is used to apply existing scientific knowledge to develop more practical applications, for example: technology or inventions. In natural science, basic science (or pure science) is used to develop information to explain phenomena in the natural world.

A good example is Water/Wastewater treatment and other environmental sciences. Develop practical skills that a machine can't replace.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Personally, I encourage people to look into the applied science fields. Which can but not always require about 2 years of college.
I took ALL of the courses offered
that took about 14yrs of night school
doing my trade during the day

I instigated machine tools 3and 4 at the college I attended

they used to call it Machine Tool Tech
now they call it applied science

I think they dumbed it down so the engineers could have sway over manufacturing processes

Tool makers KNOW the engineer can't cut it

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
you need to post this as topic
No, there'd be unreasonable knee jerk opposition to the idea that as
fossil fuel became scarcer, the cost of obtaining it would continually
increase, making alternatves more cost effective.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
We are painfully close to the edge of another revolution, sadly just at the beginning. The beginning is always the bad part.

TurkeyOnRye

I've been telling people about Amazon Go, which is open NOW, and how their cashier-less store model will vaporize thousands of jobs. Not a small transformation; I believe checkers are the number 2 most common job in the US.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've been telling people about Amazon Go, which is open NOW, and how their cashier-less store model will vaporize thousands of jobs. Not a small transformation; I believe checkers are the number 2 most common job in the US.
Truly, I believe the problems is we still think in terms of "industry," and industry is proving inferior to digital. The music "industry" is still sorting out the pieces from being digitized, retail industry is sinking as it becomes digitized, and numerous industries across the board are taking hits as DYI videos and guides are a few clicks away in our digitizing world. We've hit a point where it's time to leave the Industrial Age and all its associated models behind in the past and welcome an age that revolves around the digital format and easily assemble information. Once we all have 3D printers, it's essentially going to be game over for industry. It'll linger around, no doubt, but it'll be a terrible anchor weighing and dragging down the potential of the future until we sever those chains.