• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Guns.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I just put chalk outlines of bodies on the ground by my doors.
I know that my glass doors with single point easily picked locks
won't even slow down the determined thief.
No, not you, @Thief.
what...?
you mean to say?.....I could be slowed down?

but of course.....if you're cooking haggis....
the smell will keep me away

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You aren't going to answer my question? I prefer to get a firm position from you before I produce anything.
No George, You probably just didn't have too many facts to back up your feeling. Yes?

Start with the UK........

Is it legal to have an unsecured firearm anywhere in a home?

Is it legal for a child to be able to pick up a firearm unsupervised?

Is it legal for a child to be left alone in what becomes a dangerous condition?

If a householder does shoot an attacking intruder, what offence if any is committed of the householder continues to shoot the intruder once down?

This is all simple stuff.............

Curious George

Veteran Member
No George, You probably just didn't have too many facts to back up your feeling. Yes?

Start with the UK........

Is it legal to have an unsecured firearm anywhere in a home?

Is it legal for a child to be able to pick up a firearm unsupervised?

Is it legal for a child to be left alone in what becomes a dangerous condition?

If a householder does shoot an attacking intruder, what offence if any is committed of the householder continues to shoot the intruder once down?

This is all simple stuff.............
You still haven't answered my question.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not by any of my doors or winnders.
You're joking, surely?
Any door or window has some level of value.
If you're as unbelievably rich as I think then you could please the Missus and have lovely new replacement windows and doors installed instead of buying yet another engine or whatever.
Just imagine Mrs Revolting's pleasure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're joking, surely?
Any door or window has some level of value.
If you're as unbelievably rich as I think then you could please the Missus and have lovely new replacement windows and doors installed instead of buying yet another engine or whatever.
Just imagine Mrs Revolting's pleasure.
Engines are more important than doors & winnders.
In my area, I've found that a locked glass door is effective security.
The secret is to lock it when away.
Thefts happen when things are unlocked.
Besides, I like looking thru glass at the beautiful Revoltistanian landscape.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Engines are more important than doors & winnders.
In my area, I've found that a locked glass door is effective security.
The secret is to lock it when away.
Thefts happen when things are unlocked.
Besides, I like looking thru glass at the beautiful Revoltistanian landscape.
Glass is good.
In fact, glass sheets laminated together with layers of polyvinyl butyral stop bullets very effectively.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Glass is good.
In fact, glass sheets laminated together with layers of polyvinyl butyral stop bullets very effectively.
I've never had bullets go thru my ordinary glass.
But then I live in a civilized country....unlike not so Great Britain.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've never heard of that abomination.
Are you perhaps thinking of the Luther Burger?
Sounds Germanic, that one.

You previously mentioned (in different wording) your preference for glazing and lots of pleasant views etc.

You also mentioned locked glass.

This was wonderful to read. Nearly all Northern household today understand that double and triple glazing saves money, increases comfort and adds to security. I don't expect that Michigan households are any different.

Also, where lovely large picture windows are installed most building standards require that windows with a larger glazing surface area must be fitted with tempered and laminated glass. All glazing in modern doors together with door sidepanels are included in such standards.

And so modern domestic glazing is very secure from intrusion and burglary. Obviously where an intruder might have some extreme agenda then additional measures are required. America is also installing similar specs in resi-doors and sure enough the hinge and multi-lock standards are very high, as I could have guessed.

And so for the average American to feel the need to hug a gun at home is surely just another form of hysterical extremism?

I begin to wonder if some gun nuts might actually wish for intrusions to occur at their premises.... what do you think?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sounds Germanic, that one.

You previously mentioned (in different wording) your preference for glazing and lots of pleasant views etc.

You also mentioned locked glass.

This was wonderful to read. Nearly all Northern household today understand that double and triple glazing saves money, increases comfort and adds to security. I don't expect that Michigan households are any different.

Also, where lovely large picture windows are installed most building standards require that windows with a larger glazing surface area must be fitted with tempered and laminated glass. All glazing in modern doors together with door sidepanels are included in such standards.

And so modern domestic glazing is very secure from intrusion and burglary. Obviously where an intruder might have some extreme agenda then additional measures are required. America is also installing similar specs in resi-doors and sure enough the hinge and multi-lock standards are very high, as I could have guessed.

And so for the average American to feel the need to hug a gun at home is surely just another form of hysterical extremism?

I begin to wonder if some gun nuts might actually wish for intrusions to occur at their premises.... what do you think?
We have double glazing in our glass.
I save money by keeping the temp lower than
most....50s & 60s, depending upon whether
away or home.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
We have double glazing in our glass.
I save money by keeping the temp lower than
most....50s & 60s, depending upon whether
away or home.
Our glass (and I expect yours as well) is treated so as to reflect heat away from it, back in to the property.

In order to reduce blown sealed units caused by gas expansion on very hot sunny days our sealed units are filled with argon gas.

Triple glazed sealed units are also offered here now. One of the important security tests on these windows is 'ease of deglazing a window from outside the premises/'. Some beading systems are not very secure, but all new designs are sorted for safe-glazing-beading.

Mrs Badger requires higher temperatures than you offer, and she thinks that Mrs Revolting should take action for a warmer home. She reminds you that cold ladies don't feel like cuddles. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Our glass (and I expect yours as well) is treated so as to reflect heat away from it, back in to the property.

In order to reduce blown sealed units caused by gas expansion on very hot sunny days our sealed units are filled with argon gas.

Triple glazed sealed units are also offered here now. One of the important security tests on these windows is 'ease of deglazing a window from outside the premises/'. Some beading systems are not very secure, but all new designs are sorted for safe-glazing-beading.

Mrs Badger requires higher temperatures than you offer, and she thinks that Mrs Revolting should take action for a warmer home. She reminds you that cold ladies don't feel like cuddles. :D
Mrs Revolt is fine with cooler temps in winter, &
warmer in summer. Good for both planet & wallet.

tas8831

The Heller decision makes it clear that that the second amendment applies to gun ownership, period. The right to own a firearm is sacrosanct, for whatever legal purpose.

Heller was a garbage decision - a classic 5-4 decision premised on motivated thinking by the right-wing activists on SCOTUS that decided to ignore thew whole 'well regulated militia' thing at the behest of their ideology.

"Heller thus represents the worst of missed opportunities—the chance to ground conservative jurisprudence in enduring and consistent principles of restraint. The Constitution expresses the need for judicial restraint in many different ways—separation of powers, federalism, and the grant of life tenure to unelected judges among them. It is an irony that Heller would in the name of originalism abandon insights so central to the Framers’ designs.[70]

esmith

Veteran Member
"Heller thus represents the worst of missed opportunities—the chance to ground conservative jurisprudence in enduring and consistent principles of restraint. The Constitution expresses the need for judicial restraint in many different ways—separation of powers, federalism, and the grant of life tenure to unelected judges among them. It is an irony that Heller would in the name of originalism abandon insights so central to the Framers’ designs.[70]
It appears that you have used a portion of a statement in a link without reveling the link. You embarrassed by the link?
Since you are using someone else opinion, just what do you think the Framers design was?