• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Guns.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
David Frum said:
Americans of high-school age are 82 times more likely to die from a gun homicide than 15- to 19-year-olds in the rest of the developed world.

This stark discrepancy is often treated as a baffling fact, requiring some counterintuitive explanation.

...more young Americans have died in school shootings in 2018 than in all the nation’s combat operations all over the world.

Only 30 percent of Americans own guns. Thus far, that minority has sufficed to block substantial federal action on guns. But a one-third minority—and especially a nonurban one-third minority—may no longer suffice to shape American culture.

The outrage after Parkland looked less like a political movement, and more like the great waves of moral reform that have at intervals since the 1840s challenged the existing political order in the name of higher ethical ideals.

In the article, David Frum, who is one of the last genuinely moderate Republicans in the country, does not propose any specific solution to the gun problem in America. That's not his point. His point is that change is coming -- slowly -- but coming.

With that in mind, do you think the minority of people in favor of maintaining the status quo when it comes to guns will be able to do so forever? Or do you agree with Frum that change is coming?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
yes....

and shortly after.....America will be disarmed

and invaded

first rule of occupation.....disarm the public

74x12

In the article, David Frum, who is one of the last genuinely moderate Republicans in the country, does not propose any specific solution to the gun problem in America. That's not his point. His point is that change is coming -- slowly -- but coming.

With that in mind, do you think the minority of people in favor of the maintaining the status quo when it comes to guns will be able to do so forever? Or do you agree with Frum that change is coming?
This country is practically begging for the chains of slavery. In many ancient societies only slaves were unarmed. People should soberly consider this fact before abandoning the liberties that have been secured for them by the blood of patriots.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This country is practically begging for the chains of slavery. In many ancient societies only slaves were unarmed. People should soberly consider this fact before abandoning the liberties that have been secured for them by the blood of patriots.
I hate this argument, I really do. It is dated and simply isn't applicable.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

With that in mind, do you think the minority of people in favor of maintaining the status quo when it comes to guns will be able to do so forever? Or do you agree with Frum that change is coming?

I think it's possible that there may be some jurisdictions with greater controls and limitations. It might still vary from state to state, and I don't see a time when the Second Amendment will ever be repealed. So I don't think gun ownership will ever be totally banned, but it might be curtailed to some degree.

74x12

Ah, a cleverly disguised Godwin's Fallacy.
:D I can think of many other examples than Hitler. Stalin or Mao, Pol pot ... communists are often at the top of my list.

Anyway it's not a fallacy. It really is a valid observation. I'm more worried about the government than some random lone gunman. What's more, I believe we all should be more worried about the governments of this world.

:D I can think of many other examples than Hitler. Stalin or Mao, Pol pot ... communists are often at the top of my list.

Anyway it's not a fallacy. It really is a valid observation. I'm more worried about the government than some random lone gunman. What's more, I believe we all should be more worried about the governments of this world.

The weapons that you can legally purchase will not stop the government from imposing tyranny on you. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

All I see coming is progressive dystopia aka frogs being cooked slowly in a frying pan.

74x12

The weapons that you can legally purchase will not stop the government from imposing tyranny on you. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.
You don't want to make it easy for them. That usually doesn't end well. Besides you would have to expect that at least some of the American military would know who to side with. Anyway we could only hope. But without weapons we definitely have no chance.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So what is it exactly that you would want to see enacted as far as gun control? And please don't give me that "stricter laws"; deal with specifics.

You don't want to make it easy for them. That usually doesn't end well. Besides you would have to expect that at least some of the American military would know who to side with. Anyway we could only hope. But without weapons we definitely have no chance.

With or without weapons you don't stand a chance.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
So what is it exactly that you would want to see enacted as far as gun control? And please don't give me that "stricter laws"; deal with specifics.
Not directed at me but I will take a shot. For me, it really starts with allowing the CDC to study the issue in context with everything else. As of this posting, they are not allowed to do so. Next, I would prefer a federally enacted firearm standard to be drafted (sorry it is vague but what I am getting at is that the laws vary from state to state). Right now, state laws are only as good as their neighbors. That sort of inconsistency could be an issue I would be interested in addressing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
yes....

and shortly after.....America will be disarmed

and invaded

first rule of occupation.....disarm the public

Just as if disarming the public is the same as disarming the military? When did reason go out of fashion?