• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Guns.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I haven't had to use Plan B.
But this doesn't make Plan B a bad idea.
As an engineer, I designed systems to cope with improbable events.
Tis a mindset one cannot avoid..

Here's the thing.
In countless posts on many threads, no member has ever actually described how a domestic intrusion was carried out other than in 'walk-in' cases.

I have asked many folks to describe how they came to be face-to-face with intruders, and no actual break-ins have ever been explained.

Yonks ago I worked for security companies, surveying properties for security projects, and so, obviously, I could fill a page with examples of how criminals managed to gain access to properties. So I do know about weaknesses with certain systems and building products, but heated members trying to defend 'gun-under-pillow' protection can't tell me anything that they have done to just deter folks from getting in to bed with them...... or anywhere else in the home.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's the thing.
In countless posts on many threads, no member has ever actually described how a domestic intrusion was carried out other than in 'walk-in' cases.

I have asked many folks to describe how they came to be face-to-face with intruders, and no actual break-ins have ever been explained.

Yonks ago I worked for security companies, surveying properties for security projects, and so, obviously, I could fill a page with examples of how criminals managed to gain access to properties. So I do know about weaknesses with certain systems and building products, but heated members trying to defend 'gun-under-pillow' protection can't tell me anything that they have done to just deter folks from getting in to bed with them...... or anywhere else in the home.
In my experience lack of using the security available is the common start of violent encounters.
But in the news, I read of actual breaking when entering. The difference is just in frequency.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I haven't had to use Plan B..
Well, your plan A was probably accomplished when you married Mrs Revolting. :)

Scene: Big Strange Geezer standing in the middle of the sitting-room, fiddling with a katana sword.

Revolting: Good evening mate. You'll be wanting to see Mrs Revolting..... I'll just call her. While I'm here, can I just ask if your medical insurance is up to date?

:D

esmith

Veteran Member
Here's the thing.

The Armed Citizen® May 4, 2018
From the Armed Citizen® Archives
May 1970

Twelve-year-old Gail Burdine, alone in her parents’ home near Eufala, Okla., watched while a man knocked on the doors, then broke through a glass patio door. She meanwhile loaded and cocked a .410-ga. shotgun. When the intruder stepped through the smashed door, she pointed the gun at him and said, “That’s far enough.” The man turned and ran. She reported his auto tag number and description to police, who arrested a suspect. (Phoenix, Muskogee, OK)

Just one of many incidents reported in The American Rifleman

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
In my experience lack of using the security available is the common start of violent encounters.
Yep. In a recent and very dreadful murder case in Scotland, a little girl was abducted from her bedroom, raped and murdered. Her Grandmother had left the key in the lock of the front door.

But in the news, I read of actual breaking when entering. The difference is just in frequency.
I caught this kid stealing from a store in Dover. At the Police Station he asked for 68 burglary offences (that he could remember) to be taken in to account. The interviewing officer asked this lad how he knew which homes to burgle.
'Drains', answered the kid, 'It's the drains'.
The copper didn't understand, so the kid explained further:-
I only did places with external water-waste drains. If it's 9 in the mornin' and the drains is dry, nobody has bin there all night.'
The kid just laughed at him.

This kid was really peeved with me because unlike any other SDs he'd ever come across, I used indirect observation techniques to catch him. After that, if he ever saw me in a store he called me the 'mirror-man'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, your plan A was probably accomplished when you married Mrs Revolting. :)

Scene: Big Strange Geezer standing in the middle of the sitting-room, fiddling with a katana sword.

Revolting: Good evening mate. You'll be wanting to see Mrs Revolting..... I'll just call her. While I'm here, can I just ask if your medical insurance is up to date?

:D
What would actually happen.....
Revolting immediately flees upstairs.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The Armed Citizen® May 4, 2018
From the Armed Citizen® Archives
May 1970

Twelve-year-old Gail Burdine, alone in her parents’ home near Eufala, Okla.,

Stop you right there. !!
So a kid's parents left her alone in what turned out to be a dangerous situation. They also left weapons in the house which she could take hold of.

Look......... in the UK the parents committed two offences, right there.

In 1970 I expect that toughened glass was acceptable in patio doors in the US, back then, but after many many intrusions through such doors using only a safety-glass hammer or even a sharp pebble, I expect that today such doors are required to have toughened-laminated glass panels which are much harder to overcome, and with even more noise.

In any event, the child was in much danger, way before any intruder arrived. Shame on the parents.

Just one of many incidents reported in The American Rifleman

Yeah.......... how many times did the home-owner shoot that gun? How many times did he hit the intruder?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What would actually happen.....
Revolting immediately flees upstairs.
That's what I would do, but we live in a bungalow.

Presumably you have double or triple glazed windows in Michigan, with composite or UPVC resi doors.

Over here the police use a special two-handed ram to break doors during police raids. They often have much difficulty in breaking PVC doors in because such doors have 'spring' in them and can absorb masses of shock-energy. Composite doors are much stronger in themselves but because they don't bend, absorbing shock so much all the force is delivered directly to the door bolts and hinges, and so stronger composites break in with more ease than plastic doors........ The most secure items are not always the most rigid....... I fitted UPVC doors to our home a few years back with multipoint locking and multi-hinges. I just hope I never lock myself out, somehow. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's what I would do, but we live in a bungalow.

Presumably you have double or triple glazed windows in Michigan, with composite or UPVC resi doors.
We have glass doors with wood frames in my residential & commercial buildings.
Single, double, or triple pane....they all break the same.
Over here the police use a special two-handed ram to break doors during police raids. They often have much difficulty in breaking PVC doors in because such doors have 'spring' in them and can absorb masses of shock-energy. Composite doors are much stronger in themselves but because they don't bend, absorbing shock so much all the force is delivered directly to the door bolts and hinges, and so stronger composites break in with more ease than plastic doors........ The most secure items are not always the most rigid....... I fitted UPVC doors to our home a few years back with multipoint locking and multi-hinges. I just hope I never lock myself out, somehow. :D
Dang, you sound paranoid.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
We have glass doors with wood frames in my residential & commercial buildings.
Single, double, or triple pane....they all break the same.
Yeah..... noisily.
The trick is to use secure openers, and to deter de-glazing of the sealed units.

Dang, you sound paranoid.
Everybody here has UPVC or Composite residential doors with multi-p[oint locking. It's standard. The only difference is that I installed my own..... being retired I have the time to do these things and save a lot of money.

My front windows are all protected by 9mm acrylic sheet because sealed units with domed tops cost so much to replace.

I just like doing stuff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everybody here has UPVC or Composite residential doors with multi-p[oint locking. It's standard. The only difference is that I installed my own..... being retired I have the time to do these things and save a lot of money.

My front windows are all protected by 9mm acrylic sheet because sealed units with domed tops cost so much to replace.

I just like doing stuff.
I just put chalk outlines of bodies on the ground by my doors.
I know that my glass doors with single point easily picked locks
won't even slow down the determined thief.
No, not you, @Thief.

esmith

Veteran Member
Stop you right there. !!
So a kid's parents left her alone in what turned out to be a dangerous situation. They also left weapons in the house which she could take hold of.

Look......... in the UK the parents committed two offences, right there.
Not here

In any event, the child was in much danger, way before any intruder arrived. Shame on the parents.
No she wasn't. Seems she was taught how to handle a firearm. Try again.

Yeah.......... how many times did the home-owner shoot that gun? How many times did he hit the intruder?
If someone breaks into your home, you shoot them and empty the weapon into them.
Reason, you can claim mental incapacition if necessary.
And if you live in one of those real liberal/progressive cities/states drag their dead *** all the way into the home.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I just put chalk outlines of bodies on the ground by my doors.
I know that my glass doors with single point easily picked locks won't even slow down the determined thief.
No, not you, @Thief.

If you only have a few exterior doors you could always get new dors'n'frames supplied and fit them yourself. And I'll bet that you have five lever locks, at least. Everybody goes on about picking locks but it's just a bit tricky, truth told.

Many burglaries here are opportunity crimes.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So it's legal to leave kids alone at home unsupervised? The US really surprises me sometimes.

No she wasn't. Seems she was taught how to handle a firearm. Try again.
Yeah? Child death-by-gun figures alright in your State?

If someone breaks into your home, you shoot them and empty the weapon into them.
Reason, you can claim mental incapacition if necessary.
And if you live in one of those real liberal/progressive cities/states drag their dead *** all the way into the home.
Yeah? a person wouldn't need to claim mental disability in those circumstances........... they most certainly would be there. And they could live with it for the rest of.........
Sweet dreams with that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you only have a few exterior doors you could always get new dors'n'frames supplied and fit them yourself. And I'll bet that you have five lever locks, at least. Everybody goes on about picking locks but it's just a bit tricky, truth told.

Many burglaries here are opportunity crimes.
I don't want non-glass doors.
I like the view.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I get the feeling you aren't aware of the law in the U.S. or the U.K. and would be surprised by both. At what age do you think a child can be home unsupervised?
It's your feeling George, so why don't you quote US and UK law about unsupervised children?

I look forward to your post.

esmith

Veteran Member
So it's legal to leave kids alone at home unsupervised? The US really surprises me sometimes.
It is legal to leave a child at home unsupervised, however if the child is injured one could be charged with child endangerment. And we do have those kooks that think letting a child play outside unsupervised is wrong.
As far as you being surprised. We aim to please

Yeah? Child death-by-gun figures alright in your State?
Not sure what you mean here, death of a child or a child causing a death.
If one causes the death of a child and they are found to be guilty of child endangerment then so be it
If a child defends themselves then so be it.

Yeah? a person wouldn't need to claim mental disability in those circumstances........... they most certainly would be there. And they could live with it for the rest of.........
Sweet dreams with that.
We have some states that frown on one defending oneself and one must protect themselves from these type of thoughts, I think that a lot of them have been affected by large bodies of water on their border.
Then we have the smart states that subscribe to the "castle doctrine" and "stand-your-ground laws.

Taking another life even in the military can leave permanent scars on one.