• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's the Guns.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Guess not.
Now since you seem to keep repeating the same tired excuses from the chief of police in Chicago, how about you enlighten all of us with what "lax" firearm laws Indiana has that both the Chicago and NYC chief of police are referring to.
That is if you can.

Oh by the way I don't expect an answer.
Maybe read this, plus there's more if you actually spent time doing research on this: https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/chicago-gun-trace-report-2017-454016983.html

But I'm sure that you believe that you are so much more of an expert on crime in Chicago and NYC that their chiefs of police and those who actually do the research.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
the law about guns where I live
reads almost word for word......the writings of Hitler
Did you know that Nazi Germany was among the first nations on earth to institute a government old age pension.

What is my point? I don’t have one. And neither do you.

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
it has begun
here in this state it is now illegal to own/possess certain weapons

the people ho live in such communities now have their constitutional rights aborted

Good to hear it. And not all rights are equal. This one won't be a big loss. Maybe we can even replace it with a more important right. Such as freedom to not live with the threat of being gunned down in nursery school.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Good to hear it. And not all rights are equal. This one won't be a big loss. Maybe we can even replace it with a more important right. Such as freedom to not live with the threat of being gunned down in nursery school.
Wouldn't that be nice.

esmith

Veteran Member
Guess not.
Now since you seem to keep repeating the same tired excuses from the chief of police in Chicago, how about you enlighten all of us with what "lax" firearm laws Indiana has that both the Chicago and NYC chief of police are referring to.
That is if you can.

Oh by the way I don't expect an answer.

Maybe read this, plus there's more if you actually spent time doing research on this: https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/chicago-gun-trace-report-2017-454016983.html

But I'm sure that you believe that you are so much more of an expert on crime in Chicago and NYC that their chiefs of police and those who actually do the research.

Good article, but just one big problem
What "lax" firearm laws in those states mentioned in the article accounts for the firearms in Chicago. Go ahead maybe if you spent some time doing research you could answer the question or find out that there are no lax laws in those states that account for the weapons in Chicago, then maybe you could. But I'm not going to do your research for you; you have to provide facts that support your assumption.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Good article, but just one big problem
What "lax" firearm laws in those states mentioned in the article accounts for the firearms in Chicago. Go ahead maybe if you spent some time doing research you could answer the question or find out that there are no lax laws in those states that account for the weapons in Chicago, then maybe you could. But I'm not going to do your research for you; you have to provide facts that support your assumption.
I did what you asked for, posted some evidence for what I previously had said, and now you come back with the above. This is why it is virtually impossible to have a serious conversation with you, especially when it comes to guns, as you act as a know-it-all whereas even the sources that are actually familiar with what's going on their area you just totally blow off.

Not interested, esmith.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Too many noids. When you get two you get paranoid.

I was raised in a rural world with guns, but the contemporary gun's rights movement has taken on a dangerous military gun militia agenda with literally millions military guns, and a dangerous view that guns can solve problems,
I think that raises an important question.

Basically do you trust your government? I think public opinion of government the past few decades is at an all-time low.

Given whistleblowers like Snowden and such you can't blame people for feeling that way. Guns for some people are the last bastion of defense for freedom because it's a real-world deterrent.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Actually the response from the right wing militant gun advocates is that any form of 'gun control' is the slippery slope to complete disarmament of all civilians of the USA.
Yeah, that is a 100% clear indication that they cannot come up with a valid argument against increased gun control. If your only argument is based on speculation, you have no argument.

Thermos aquaticus

I think that raises an important question.

Basically do you trust your government? I think public opinion of government the past few decades is at an all-time low.

Given whistleblowers like Snowden and such you can't blame people for feeling that way. Guns for some people are the last bastion of defense for freedom because it's a real-world deterrent.

Deterrent against what, exactly? You an stock up all the guns you want but the NSA is still going to record your cell phone calls.

The American way of changing government is using your vote in a voting booth, not stock piling guns.

esmith

Veteran Member
I did what you asked for, posted some evidence for what I previously had said, and now you come back with the above. This is why it is virtually impossible to have a serious conversation with you, especially when it comes to guns, as you act as a know-it-all whereas even the sources that are actually familiar with what's going on their area you just totally blow off.

Not interested, esmith.
Sorry you seem to think you posted anything that indicated what laws in Indiana were lax that allowed Chicago residents to purchase firearms in Indiana. If you would pay attention and read the post associated with what you first responded to you will see that you failed to answer the questions. I don't think that I am a know-it-all but you sure seem to think you are always right. Your not.

Let see what the original post that started this.

If one state has a law against a specific firearm but a neighboring state does not, what is to prevent someone from going there to make a purchase?

Then you make a statement without backing up your charge (highlighted in Red below)
The chief of police in Chicago said that most of the guns illegally used in Chicago were purchased in Indiana whereas the gun laws are looser, and the chief of police in NYC echoed much the same there.

I then pointed out the Federal Laws dealing with unlicensed person purchasing a firearm in a state they are not a resident of.

I really don't like to keep saying this, but I highly suggest that you, and everyone else, do a little research before making statements about firearm law which are inaccurate , as yours in the above statement.

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes. In addition the firearm must be transferred to a licensed dealer in the purchasers state.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Also
An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Note this includes transfers between unlicensed person

above information from: Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Then you posted a link that had nothing to do with the laws in Indiana that you seem to base you argument on. Get over it, you have been tested and found wanting.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Then you make a statement without backing up your charge (highlighted in Red below)
I have better things to do than to attempt to further this discussion with you. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Giving myself a root canal.
  • Walking into oncoming traffic.
  • Organizing encyclopedias in reverse alphabetical order.
  • Digging a moat in the Sahara.
Thanks.

esmith

Veteran Member
I have better things to do than to attempt to further this discussion with you. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Giving myself a root canal.
  • Walking into oncoming traffic.
  • Organizing encyclopedias in reverse alphabetical order.
  • Digging a moat in the Sahara.
Thanks.
The post was intended for metis not you, and I only referenced you once and it was only meant to inform metis what was being discussed. Sorry you took the post as directed at you.
Quetzal said:
If one state has a law against a specific firearm but a neighboring state does not, what is to prevent someone from going there to make a purchase?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
This country is practically begging for the chains of slavery. In many ancient societies only slaves were unarmed. People should soberly consider this fact before abandoning the liberties that have been secured for them by the blood of patriots.
I thought this was the 21st century not the 16th century. Times change mate!
Cheers

james dixon

Premium Member
It's not the type of weapon that is the issue, it's where and when you have them.

I want---

[1] background checks (prevents criminals from buying)

[2] seven (7) day waiting period before the gun store can give you the weapon. (giving the person time to cool off if the purchase is based on anger)

[3] provide a valid home address

[4] illegal to carry a firearm in public places

Any objections-?
:)-

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's not the type of weapon that is the issue, it's where and when you have them.

I want---

[2] seven (7) day waiting period before the gun store can give you the weapon. (giving the person time to cool off if the purchase is based on anger)

Any objections-?

Uhh...where is this not being done now (except the not carry in public thingy, which is counterproductive anyway)?

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.

I want---

Any objections-?
Better background checks is defiantly needed, most of the mass shooting in the US happens with firearms obtained from legal vendors.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Your focus is definitely in the wrong place. If you would read the article you posted you would see that a background check was done but his conviction was not found due to the laxness of the state to enter the conviction in their filings. This is a failure of enforcement, not of a lack of a background check. Now if you want to campaign for the better enforcement of the laws already on the books, then I'm in your corner.